Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

GPU upgrade

What GPU do you have now so I have something to compare against? The new RX480 by AMD is really good for the price. I would recommend that over the new GTX 1060. The RX480 starts at $250 USD for the 8GB version which is what I'd recommend. AMD has the RX470 and RX460 as well if you need something cheaper. They're really competitive at the lower price points for this generation.

Nice rig! Always awesome to see more water-cooled PC builds. Any other specs to share?

I'm still debating on my next GPU upgrade, but I'm really liking the looks of the Pascal cards. It won't be for a while though, so I'm gonna try holding out for some news on Vega and Volta before setting any plans ;)

On 8/14/2016 at 2:42 PM, Beatrix said:

Awesome set-up honey! I need help on getting a dirt-cheap GPU for a Windows 7 Intel i-7 4th gen CPU - any advice? Just something to gimme a tad more power, hopefully GDDR5 so bandwidth is moist.

On 8/14/2016 at 4:00 PM, Neko-kun said:

What GPU do you have now so I have something to compare against? The new RX480 by AMD is really good for the price. I would recommend that over the new GTX 1060. The RX480 starts at $250 USD for the 8GB version which is what I'd recommend. AMD has the RX470 and RX460 as well if you need something cheaper. They're really competitive at the lower price points for this generation.

Yep, definitely look at the new AMD Polaris cards. As far as dirt-cheap, you can get an RX460 2GB for as low at $114.99 US at Newegg right now. A bit further up, the RX480 is the best value on the market now, if you can find one in stock lol... In theory you can get a 4GB model close to $200.00 US, but the Supply/Demand equation hasn't quite evened out yet :P

Despite the very-close-to-480 performance and price, I still recommend the RX470 for the moment, but only because it's so hard to actually find a 480 near SRP. Once people can reliably buy a 480 that's not twice the suggested price (Looking at you MSI... Really?), the 470 won't have much reason to exist, IMO.

58 minutes ago, HPattern said:

Nice rig! Always awesome to see more water-cooled PC builds. Any other specs to share?

Thanks! The case is an AZZA Genesis 900. Mobo is an Asus Maximus VII Hero. PSU is a Corsair AX760i. CPU is an Intel 4790K at 4.6GHz. The cooler is a Corsair H100i. The GPU is an Asus Strix GeForce GTX 1080 now comfortably running at 2GHz with memory clocks hitting 5,520MHz (11,040 effective.) I have a Creative Sound Blaster Z. Two Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSDs in a RAID 0 array and they hit over 1,000MB/s read and write. I have an Asus ROG Swift pg279q monitor. A Blue Yeti mic. Steelseries 6Gv2 keyboard, Sensei MLG edition mouse and 9H headset. I think those are all the parts worth noting. Everything else is cheap or slow.

Edit*  I forgot to mention 16GBs of G.skill DDR3-2400 RAM.

Edited by Neko-kun
Forgot stuff (see edit history)

So a few things... first off I'm sorry to hear about your loss of eyesight. I've had bad eyes all my life. I'm legally blind without my glasses. Thankfully they've never gotten worse.

Second, my PC is a labor of love. This is the first Truly expensive PC I've ever built. I wouldn't call it a super computer but it is probably in the top 5% maybe? I don't know anymore. At least I'm more or less satisfied with it's performance. The only upgrade I currently want is a 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD.

Third, Your PC is okay. As far as i'm concerned even a first gen i7 is still okay, but if you a Sandy Bridge or newer i7 then you're still getting great performance for most people. It sounds like you're running some flavor of Linux? I'm not sure what you could do to really take advantage of any performance that is going unused really. But there's nothing wrong with just being satisfied with it's ability to do what you currently do. When I use other people's PCs I get frustrated at the speed web pages take to load or programs take to launch. It's all about what you're comfortable with when it comes to your own computer.

Fourth, I would really recommend getting a few cheap SATAIII SSDs for storage vs mechanical drives for your future build. That or a combination of the two. The difference in speed and the impact it has on your everyday life is pretty substantial.

I recently built a new PC, it has RGB lighting so i made it pink :)

CASE: NZXT H440
CPU: i7 6700k
MB: Asus ROG Formula VIII
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w
GPU: 2x Asus Strix 1070's in Sli
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Liquid CPU Cooler
Storage: 250GB Samsung SSD EVO + 1TB WD Hard Drive
Other: RGB Strip, Black Sleeved Cables

14034885_1413791721970066_643083977675697566_n.jpg

21 hours ago, AdorableFluff said:

I recently built a new PC, it has RGB lighting so i made it pink :)

CASE: NZXT H440
CPU: i7 6700k
MB: Asus ROG Formula VIII
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w
GPU: 2x Asus Strix 1070's in Sli
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Liquid CPU Cooler
Storage: 250GB Samsung SSD EVO + 1TB WD Hard Drive
Other: RGB Strip, Black Sleeved Cables

14034885_1413791721970066_643083977675697566_n.jpg

Beautiful PC. I really want to build one with a big tempered glass window. I'm having a craving.

The more I look the more I have questions. Why two 1070s but no HB bridge? Why such an expensive mobo but a cheaper SSD? I'm super curious what thinking lead you to these decisions. <3

Edited by Neko-kun (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Thread Necro

Man, y'all are making me want to upgrade my kit.  I have a really random rig (InWIN Griffin Yellow) that I cut up to house my setup and get decent airflow.  Its a pretty small case.  I have a bunch of Corsair 120mm UV Purple fans, so the color scheme is purple and yellow (I affectionately named the rig "Derpy" and slapped a Derpy sticker on the top of the rig...).  Has an Intel i5 4690k coupled with a Radeon 7870XT in there.  16gbs of RAM (have to check what brand, I changed it) slapped on an MSI mobo.  My PSU just got upgraded to a RaidMax 735W LED model (I love colors in my rig).  Slipped an Samsung EVO SSD for boot, and still running a 1TB Samsung HDD for storage (oldest thing in the rig, carried forward a few times from previous builds).  The GPU is gigantic and gives me the biggest problem in terms of fit, but its nicely cooled with all the fans I have.

Card is a little long in the tooth but handles all the games I play on it like a boss.

Edited by PWG (see edit history)

This is now a GPU/general thread, and I need some advice. Currently I have what is the best possible price/performance choice... for its time. It's a HD5770, the upper middle card that was introduced in 09, then was replaced by 7770, which was later reintroduced as R7 250X. And, you know, I'm pretty content with its performance. The most demanding game I play regularly is World of Tanks (which is not that demanding even on higher settings), and on the rare occasion I decide to play some AAA title like GTA, it's still enough to run it smoothly on low to mid settings, with the biggest issue being the limited amount of VRAM. But I digress.

I'm currently considering switching to a laptop for multiple reasons, and I'm wondering: how far did the iGPU technology progress thus far? Is there an integrated GPU that can offer a similar level of performance? I know that dedicated mobile GPUs are not lagging that far behind their desktop cousins, but what I'm looking for in a laptop is mobility and long, long battery life. I did some research and it seems that what I'm looking for is called Iris Pro 580/550, but it's only present in high-end CPUs, so even if someone would manufacture a laptop with one of those, they'll probably slap a dedicated GPU on it too and market it as a "gaming laptop".

tl;dr: is there an iGPU that can offer the level of performance similar to what I have now or not?

5 hours ago, Lisk said:

tl;dr: is there an iGPU that can offer the level of performance similar to what I have now or not?

My Alienware 15 has an integrated GeForce 750m and handles World of Warships, World of Tanks, SWTOR, and GTAV/LSPDFR pretty well.  Limitations will still be VRAM, but performance wise I still consider my Alienware to be "acceptable" versus my big rig in my room.

Also hooray for another WoT player.  I'm potato skill but whatever.

As far as the wireless keyboard, I don't have much experience in that.  Only wireless units I ever used were full size.  I'd reckon Newegg would be a good place to start.  If/when I ever go to Fry's Electronics again I could scout out what I discover.

I think most companies have stopped trying to integrate CPUs with Intel's Pro graphics into their laptops. It was expensive and ran hot for what it was. In the end you were still better having a dedicated GPU. I think your upgrade path in terms of laptops right now is not ideal. I would wait for new parts such as the GeForce 1050m equivalent. 

On 9/9/2016 at 8:02 AM, Lisk said:

I'm currently considering switching to a laptop for multiple reasons, and I'm wondering: how far did the iGPU technology progress thus far? Is there an integrated GPU that can offer a similar level of performance? I know that dedicated mobile GPUs are not lagging that far behind their desktop cousins, but what I'm looking for in a laptop is mobility and long, long battery life. I did some research and it seems that what I'm looking for is called Iris Pro 580/550, but it's only present in high-end CPUs, so even if someone would manufacture a laptop with one of those, they'll probably slap a dedicated GPU on it too and market it as a "gaming laptop".

You might want to check out some laptops based on AMD's recent APU architectures. While they don't quite stack up to a 250X, the R6 and R7 iGPUs in chips like the A10-7300 or A10-7400P (Kaveri, 2014), the R8 iGPU in something like the A10-8780P (Carrizo, 2015), or the various R5/6/7/8 iGPUs coming with the newly announced A10/A12 series (Bristol Ridge, 2016/17) APUs are surprisingly capable, even with some AAA titles (as long as you keep the settings pretty modest).

AMD's Raven Ridge APUs (Based on the Zen CPU core and RX Polaris GPU) are on the way as well, promising massive performance gains, but they won't be available until later in 2017...

Intel's mobile Kaby Lake chips are also on the horizon, so there'll surely be some improvements on the blue side of the fence as well heading into the winter!

Edited by HPattern
Additional info regarding the 2H17 RR APUs (see edit history)