Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

A thread to share your favorite recipes and try out others.

I will share a family recipe for a Slovenian dish that's been in our family for generations.  Not sure if it's traditionally a main dish, but we serve it as a side dish on holidays, since it's too unhealthy to eat regularly, haha.  It's similar to a pasty, but I can't find any references to it anywhere online.  It's called nodif, but we undoubtedly have the spelling wrong.  But, here is my version of the recipe for it (everyone in my family who makes it tweeks it just a little in their own way), it's delicious, particularly if you love bacon.

Mom's (Lucy's) Nodif

Filling:  1 loaf of buttermilk bread, cubed.  1 bunch of green onions, chopped.  1 pound of bacon, sliced and fried (slice before you fry, don't crumble after frying, and do NOT throw out the grease right away).  3-5 large eggs, beaten.  Roughly 6 tablespoons of bacon grease (from when you fried the bacon).

Crust:  2 cups flour.  1/4 teaspoon of baking powder.  1/4 cup of butter, shortening, or a combination of the two.  Enough whole milk to make it stick together.

Instructions:  Preheat oven to 375F.  Spray a glass pie dish with non-stick cooking spray. Combine filling ingredients, and mix well.  This is best done using your hands, you don't want the filling to get too mushy.  The end product should be a wealth of color, and easily stick to itself.  Combine crust ingredients, and kneed well before rolling out.  Roll it out big enough to have room for all of the filling ingredients.  Form the filling into a tight ball (without squeezing too hard), and place it in the middle of the crust, and fold the ends of the crust inward, cutting as necessary to remove the excess.  Spread milk over the ends and gently rub it in to create a neat seal, place the pie pan over it, and using your dough cloth, turn it rightside up, so the smooth side of the crust is on top.  Give the topside of the crust a wash with beaten eggs and a little milk, and bake for 30 minutes.

Nodif can be enjoyed hot or cold, by itself or with a little butter.  The best way to slice it is once vertically, then several horizontal slices, about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch apart.  Leftovers, if any, can be kept in the fridge for days.

6 hours ago, naughty_lucy420 said:

A thread to share your favorite recipes and try out others.

It's similar to a pasty, but I can't find any references to it anywhere online.  It's called nodif, but we undoubtedly have the spelling wrong. 

I found this:

I don't know of it's the same, but on the YouTube page it says it's called nodif.

Edited by alexwbj (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh, it's amazing.  And, after doing some more research, I think the recipe I posted is merely a variation on the Slovenian Easter sausage, as the only things that seem different is we use a crust rather than a casing, and we don't add ham.  That side of the family were all poor miners, so I'd imagine we adapted the recipe to make it more like a pasty that could be easily eaten for lunch down in the mines.  On a side note, two of my ancestors from that side of the family died in the Italian Hall Disaster, two of my grandmother's siblings, whom she never met because she wasn't born until 1918.

My grandmother's original recipe called for only six strips of bacon, and out of date bread!