Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Hey, I would like to make an Omorashi RPG in RPG maker XP and i could use some help with coding and such <D (I've seen really good games made in rpg maker xp, a good omo rpg example is Mojique), so it can be done, but i cannot figure out how do to anything too complex, let alone thirst and desperation systems...Anyway, if you have any tips for me, lemme know please ;w;

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GaminDan said:

Your the creator of mojique I found a let's play on YouTube it is one of the best rpgs I've ever seen if only a mobile version *hint hint*

There is an Android emulator called Neko RPGXP Player, but Mojique has a very complex system that is pretty heavyweight even for modern PCs. I don't think that puny mobile CPUs will be able to run it at any reasonable speed.

On 25.06.2016 at 8:19 AM, Kai Waii said:

Hey, I would like to make an Omorashi RPG in RPG maker XP and i could use some help with coding and such <D (I've seen really good games made in rpg maker xp, a good omo rpg example is Mojique), so it can be done, but i cannot figure out how do to anything too complex, let alone thirst and desperation systems...Anyway, if you have any tips for me, lemme know please ;w;

IT BEGINS!

The best thing about RMXP is that while it's still the best of RPG Makers, it's pretty old, which means that whatever you need, there's probably a community-made script for it. Some things, though, like desperation system, can be made even without scripts, just with the things RMXP provides you out of the box. First of all, you will need a step counter. RTC (real-time clock)-based desperation engines are horrible for RPGs and anyone who even thinks about making them should die and go to hell reconsider. You will need two variables, Stepcount and Stepcompare. Create an event, set it to parallel, and make this event set Stepcount to Other=>Steps. Then make a conditional branch: if Stepcompare does not equal Stepcount, Set Stepcompare to variable=>Stepcount. This is the basic foundation for your desperation engine. That's also where you control variables for desperation, thirst and other stuff - whenever the player takes a step, these variables will change too. Now, another thing you should probably add below that is Wait. If you leave the event as it is now, the game will check your variables every frame. While it's not a big deal at first, the lag tends to add up. Besides, there's no need to check these variables that often. RMXP runs at 20 FPS, so if we Wait for 20 frames, the event will only fire every second. There's also Smooth mode, which makes the game run at 40 FPS, but it doesn't matter for the code - from engine's perspective one second will still be 20 frames. To make this event work, you can either make this event Parallel and place it somewhere in the corner of every map where you need it, or make it Common and trigger it by a Condition Switch.

It's a liiittle bit trickier when you need to track other event (if you wish to make separate desperation engine for an NPC, for example).

C4DZZ4m.png

I didn't use Wait command here because this character is very fast and moves across multiple tiles per second. That, along with a complex behavior pattern, slowed the game down quite a bit, so I had to redesign a couple of things to make it run smoother. Take it easy on parallel events, remember: you have only one CPU core to work with!

Lastly, a bit of a general advice: get a notebook (the analog one, not the laptop w) and plan before designing complex things. I was working on a puzzle that involved time manipulation and mass switch reset and if I didn't write everything in pseudocode before starting it, I'd despair and turn into a witch.

Good luck with your endeavors!

• 1 month later...