Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Post A Ecchi Pic a Day thread

So, uh... Capcom got a bunch of data stolen from their servers recently, probably from some hackers emboldened by the glut of Nintendo leaks, and the Capcom leak has revealed to us the possible existence of a Dai Gyakuten Saiben collection. Interesting, but nothing to get so excited about? Well, the files also talk about the plans to localize it. For the first time. I'm not sure if Western sales of mainline Ace Attorney games were too low to release it back in its day, but the most cited reason was the awful copyright over Sherlock Holmes. So, to get around it this time, Capcom is pulling a Maurice Leblanc and renaming him "Herlock Sholmes" (Thank you Persona 5 for teaching me that trivia). Scarlet Study has spent so long translating the two games, and before they can even finish the second one, this might get announced. I'm sure they're crying. Now, I'm always against leaks that reveal upcoming projects, because it ruins the surprise and doesn't let the company announce it on their own terms (Nintendo fans are the absolute worst about this), but it'd be great if this were true. I played the fan translation of the first game, and I admittedly didn't love it, but I'm glad a trend is starting where collections can include Japan-only games, localized for the first time (Trials of Mana, Kid Dracula, this).

nFaDsdD.jpg

Now, what other implications could this release have? Well, first, they're willing to port the 3DS engine to modern consoles (no surprise given the mobile releases), so the latter Ace Attorney trilogy could also see release. I also have to wonder if this new English script could be used for international releases of the mobile ports, because fragility of the mobile marketplace and preservation aside, a phone is the best place to play Ace Attorney. But the most interesting is the possibility that Investigations 2 could be translated someday. It's always great to get official releases, but I'm not so sure on that one. There's no reason it can't be done, but the fan translation was perfect, and unlike The Great Ace Attorney fan translation, had new localized names for all the characters that are exactly what Capcom would come up with and have been perfectly accepted in the community. Were Investigations 2 to get officially released, they might change all them, and throw everything into chaos. I'm too used to Horace Knightley, Sebastian Debeste, Justine Courtney. I can only hope that, while Capcom would write their own script, they can use the same names.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to theme today's ecchi pic to go with my Omovember post for today. First, some backstory. Anyone who's seen the French cartoon Wakfu probably remembers this infamous scene.

b20.gif.faf9b3bcf4ecf4065a4d9512847f55ec.gif

For years, rumors circulated that the storyboards were uncensored (Vive la France!) , but no proof ever showed up. Then, about a year ago, they were posted to 4chan in all their glory. Here's my favorite:

EFa7DXxXsAAvYhc.thumb.jpg.8237c6ca39ad9222037df81b4fc90f48.jpg

The rest can be seen  here:  https://twitter.com/Zobi_Funposts/status/1177331722502967296

Enjoy!

Finished Iconoclasts. And it was...weak. It looks very nice (though sprite rotation always looks weird no matter how high the resolution, and there's plenty of that), and both the story and gameplay have very high moments, but they do not carry across the whole game. Navigating some of the areas is a pain and can be slow (fuck The Tower), the Tweak system is fine for certain upgrades, but permanent ones should not be Tweaks (double jump, dodge roll, faster cooldown, remote detonator, etc.), the process of getting 100% was really annoying because of rooms that don't show up on the map, treasures that need the remote detonator built and equipped, and needing to run back and forth across every map because each area only has one warp point, the story and characters as a whole failed to engage me, and it goes on too long. It has positives that allow me to understand why it got high reviews, but I wouldn't recommend it very much.

ufy1tAV.png

Today is a momentous day: November 22, 1995 marked the Japanese air date of episode 8 of Neon Genesis Evangelion, "Asuka Arrives in Japan". As the title implies, this episode was the debut of Asuka Langley Soryu. If we assume that the debate began immediately upon the character's introduction, that marks today as 25 years of the longest waifu war in anime history.

This is a war that continues even though Rei won it ages ago.

GynnsfN.jpg

I've played the N64 Evangelion game. I mean, mostly. I reached the credits on Easy difficulty, which is only as far as Asuka's fight with the mass-produced EVAs. Is it a good game? No, it's really short, the gameplay variety is limited, the controls are clunky, and the frequent requirements for button mashing are so painfully high that, even after a dozen tries, the only way I could beat them was by turning down the emulator speed, and it bothers me that no guide I found online mentions this brutal difficulty. Still, there's something about it that draws me to it. It looks great, and surprisingly accurate, the music is hilarious, and once you know it, you know it. I might go back to beat it on a higher difficulty to see the full story.

Very little Rei, though. If you want Rei, Ayanami Raising Project is still the definitive Evangelion game.

oKSKcZ3.jpg

There's some good news: the Monster Musume light novels will begin releasing in English next year. I don't read manga because the price/time ratio is too unbalanced, so I don't keep tabs on Monster Musume past the anime, but light novels are more to my taste. I'd like to get into reading them (put starting a collection for Accel World on my wishlist this year), so it'll be a lot easier to keep up with Monster Musume with each new release, as opposed to starting when there's over 20 volumes already available (again, Accel World).

ETj6qaQUwAIqsMo?format=jpg&name=medium

Finished Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, both seasons and Solid State Society. Given that I didn't care for the original movie (though I've discovered it's on Amazon Prime, so I might look at it with new eyes now), it's nice that I liked SAC. It's a bit confusing with how little setting-building there is, and it's not wholly consistent with its storytelling, but I like the tone, tech, and characters. I don't care about watching Arise or SAC_2045, but I'm happy I saw Stand Alone Complex. It's given me interest in reading Shirow Masamune's original manga (it's not long and the library has it all), and maybe I'll find the PS2 game out and about somewhere.

EY_YMCqXkAEw9_l?format=jpg&name=4096x409

(And in case you're wondering, nope. I can't. Both the world and the Major themselves are too complex, I can't write it.)

After what feels like 10 years, I've finally finished Persona 5. It's a very polished game with a lot of content and a stunning visual presentation. For people that would enjoy this kind of game, I understand why it was hyped up and lauded so damn much that I had no choice but to buy it.

But that doesn't mean I necessarily liked it, because I've got a long list of problems I had. The limited Persona customization of everyone besides Joker, who has too much to worry about with all his Personas. The limitation of eight abilities on each Persona, while fine for Joker, severely limits the other Phantom Thieves, when passive abilities shouldn't take up a slot if the Pokemon limitation is going to be there at all. The lack of EXP Share for Personas. The high cost for continuing or even starting confidant links, to the point I had to wait until near the end of the game to get Baton Pass, a key part of battles, with Haru, because it requires maxing out Proficiency, and I couldn't just not use Haru because she was the only one with psychokinetic skills. The amount of actions enemies get in one turn, even without One More. The fact that later bosses tend to have access to all elements regardless of their own, so they'll always be able to get One More. The overabundance of status ailments, where every single one, including just being knocked down, cuts that player out from even more core battle mechanics like Hold Ups, Baton Passes, or switching out party members. The times bosses, or even some standard enemies, could inflict the entire party with a status ailment that's difficult to cure when something as simple as Hunger prevents anyone from using items, and if Morgana uses SP to cure everyone of it, they'll just reinflict it on the next turn. And when a boss enrages the entire party, so all the player can do is watch as Joker attacks, gets reflected damage, and immediately dies. The fact that things like switching out party members and getting EXP for backup members are locked behind confidants. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

But I can forgive gameplay faults. Suikoden Tierkreis has real issues with things like dungeon design and encounter rate that permeate the whole time, and I still liked that game. Well, Persona 5 is different, because of one thing that affects everything: the length. Now, it's faster on a moment-to-moment scale than something like Suikoden III, which also went on too long, but that game was also only 60 hours in comparison, and Persona 5 exceeds it by sheer scale. Dungeons that require multiple visits because of limited SP. Bosses that, in the middle of the game, take half an hour. Long stretches of days where the player is just watching cutscenes, and can do nothing else. The length of some cutscenes. This game took me 75 hours to beat, and I think with some aggressive fat trimming, it could be half that length. Even without any streamlining, the last 10 hours are awful, wildly unnecessary, and should have been cut. But it just has to make its broad statement about society, it just has to have a giant god as the final boss. By the end, I had to turn the difficulty down from Easy to Safe, because I just couldn't stand it anymore and I just wanted it over. It's enough that I've now determined that the original reason that I wasn't interested in Persona 5 despite the critical acclaim, my distaste for RPGs that are too long, was me being smart. I'm never playing a game this long again. Shame, Xenoblade Chronicles seemed somewhat interesting. Sorry to keep bringing up Suikoden (it's an easy comparison, being the gold standard JRPG), but if Suikoden II can tell an engaging story with lovable characters in less than 30 hours, and still have segments that don't contribute to the overall story, what are all these other games doing with their time?

But there are lots of people that love these long RPGs. There are lots of people that like this difficulty. There are lots of people that love having all these options. So, being as nice as I can be, Persona just isn't for me. Even though Persona 5 Scramble plays entirely differently, and just got announced for a Western release, I'll pass. I only spent $10 on a new copy (the store also had a used PS3 copy for $25, and even though it was more expensive and worse, a part of me that loves dumb wishes I bought that one instead), and I've seen what got everyone so crazy, so I guess I don't regret playing it. But I also feel I would have been happy trusting my initial gut instinct and skipping out.

Oh, and I spent Valentine's Day with Ryuji. Apparently, I picked the wrong dialogue option right at the end with Takemi because I was trying to be coy. At least that explains why, when I went to see Takemi right at the end for one last visit, I couldn't give her the Heart Necklace I bought half a year before. I do feel I missed out, I like Takemi quite a bit, but maybe it would have been disingenuous, going on a date with someone when I now had feelings for someone else.

0fj1pK9.jpg