Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Post A Ecchi Pic a Day thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passed some time by playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse again. And, actually, I didn't enjoy it as much as last time. I still love the characters, the writing, the presentation, the skills and abilities, but I think the structure of the game holds it back. There is so much returning to previous areas to find an item and bring it back to get another item, and if you didn't know you'd have to do that, it'd be going halfway through a new area before walking back to do it all. This happens all the time. And going for every item, some of them are hidden so well that I had to look up a guide. This game has an excellent base, it just needed streamlining.

Oh, but who cares when the game has the Tan Line Temple? I mean, aside from the place being a nightmare to navigate. True, it's a fun setpiece, and a fun excuse to get the characters in costume. Honestly, the outfits themselves aren't particularly hot, even on someone like Shantae. No, the hot part is just how much Rottytops owns it. Confidence is everything, folks.

mTZ5RSD.jpg

Finished Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. Big 180 from the last time I played it. Last time, I said "it's good, but Pirate's Curse is notably better". Now, it's "close, and I think Half-Genie Hero might be better". I still think Pirate's Curse has the better art and abilities, and Half-Genie Hero's story has some real holes in it (Holly and Nega Shantae come and go with no impact), but I think Half-Genie Hero is just less annoying to play. The back and forth in a bunch of old areas from Pirate's Curse is lessened severely, and I only had to look up one item. I know Seven Sirens is technically out on Apple Arcade, but since I'm purposefully avoiding all information on it, I can only hope it combines what worked in the two games to finally make a fully great Shantae game. Except for the sprite art, that's gone.

One of the things I've noticed while playing the two games (especially Pirate's Curse) is just how much WayForward made NPCs and enemies sexy when they really didn't need to. Tuki was a great shopkeep choice.

sS8DPSl.png

Played Freedom Planet again, this time as Carol. I enjoy the game, but it gets pretty crazy towards the end. Enemy encounters stop being enjoyable once they get to be so meaty and aggressive in the second half, and Final Dreadnought is such an obnoxious difficulty spike, where 3/4 of your deaths will come from the last 1/4 of the game. Plus, while her wall jumping and strong attacks make her a worthwhile boss killer, Carol's lack of abilities make her stages boring, especially when it seems they never give you a motorcycle and it breaks so easily anyway. I'm looking forward to what Freedom Planet 2 improves upon.

d0a1fc89cbca71299ff9793a0e10bdb7.png

And thus concludes the English dub of Demon Slayer. I wouldn't call it a great show (Tanjiro is too pure and good to be an interesting protagonist, Zenitsu is flat-out annoying, most of the action isn't spectacular to make up for it, though some is), but I enjoyed watching it. It won't be worth going to the theaters for, but I'll see the movie. I'll watch a second season should it come to pass.

Regardless of my inability to read her, Shinobu is the best.

013.jpg

Watched the second Re:Zero OVA, The Frozen Bonds. Honestly, I don't know if it's because it's been so long since the first season, or if the first season didn't address it in the first place, but I have completely lost track of all backstories that aren't Subaru's. I also can't wrap my head around why everyone is so hateful and afraid of Emilia. She's too cute for that.

EFYDgT0UEAID515?format=jpg&name=large

I've said before that I believe the mark of strong characters is how much the viewer is willing and ready to watch those same characters in scenarios besides the ones they were promised. Watching K-On again, that holds very much true. It's a show about a high school light music club, but by their own admission, they barely practice and mostly laze around in the club room. So, why are they all so engaging, so comforting, and so gripping? I liked Carole & Tuesday too (and I liked their music more, actually), but I'm not interested in what Carole and Tuesday do on regular days, I was in it for their story arc. But the girls of Afterschool Tea Time, I will watch do anything, because these five are just so well written. They didn't do much, but I'm still choked up at the prospect of them splitting.

I'll be nice today, though. Obviously, Afterschool Tea Time are the focus (and Mio is adorable), but in a realistic scenario, Nodoka is my type.

GVd0q21.jpg

Considering the sorts of audiences mobile games try to appeal to, I'm surprised and proud of the developers of Rockman X DiVE for waiting this long (a solid just under two months) to add Layer as a playable character, when Alia and Pallette were included at launch, along with Marino and Cinnamon, and even Ferham making it in before Layer (the only female X characters we're still missing are Berkana and the unnamed Maverick Hunters from X5 and Maverick Hunter X). Maybe they just needed the extra time to give Layer jiggle physics, because they did. Crazy bastards, I love you.

GkE6K96.jpg