Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Post A Ecchi Pic a Day thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a little thought to consider. Last year, I bought a PS3 in a huge bundle of game consoles at a yard sale for $40 in total. It didn't work, sure. A few weeks back, I bought a PS3 at a thrift store for $20, a little cleaning and a cheap USB controller and it works fine, belongs to my sister now. Point being, a PS3 is cheap if you know where to look and are handy with a special screwdriver. Combine that with the kind of sale taking place on PSN now, where Suikoden games are at most $3 each, and you could have a new console and 4/5 of the Suikoden series for half the price of a new game.

2608784%20-%20Suikoden%20Suikoden_II%20n

Finally found a copy of Splatterhouse for the PS3 today, a game I've been coming up empty-handed on for quite a while now. Turns out I've lost my previous master touch with the original Splatterhouse, but that's neither here nor there. Point being, I went looking through other games while I was at the store, and I found a new copy of My Hero: One's Justice for $20. It's a game I was never really interested in thanks to its lackluster critical and audience reception upon release, but I know myself to be more lenient with games based on franchises I love, and the price was good. Enough to reconsider.

uOENyIa.jpg

Didn't buy it, though. A new copy of Tetris Effect was also $20, and the demo of that game fucking ruled.

1647128%20-%20Metal_Gear_Solid%20Metal_G

So this young girl takes off her clothes down to her underwear, steals a giant mech, reveals she's a double agent with the real name "Pacifica Ocean" (side note: better or worse than Hot Coldman?), and then comes the J-pop while Snake grabs the foot of the giant mech and stops himself from getting squished. Yep, Peace Walker was a weird game, even for Metal Gear standards.

And don't even get me started on Paz in Metal Gear Solid V.

336903%20-%20Carrie_Fernandez%20Castleva

Even though I know it's not really a good game, some part of me has always been curious about Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. Their wording around the first collection's release implied that Konami has been planning a second Castlevania Anniversary Collection. If it included the 3D games, with higher rendering resolution, better framerates, and maybe better controls for those N64 entries (or really just Legacy of Darkness, seeing as it's practically Castlevania 64 Final Mix), I could be swayed.

The second collection's probably just going to be the handheld Metroidvania entries, which I've never been real interested in beyond owning Portrait of Ruin.

So, Chuggaaconroy has finished his Chrono Trigger let's play. I'm still more lukewarm on the game than practically anyone, it's good but not some fantastic experience that absolutely deserves a follow-up. Funnily enough, when Emile was talking about his first experience with the game on the DS, he said his opinion was "it's good, but the endgame quests drag it down severely", confusing the Lost Sanctum as part of the natural quests. Well, I've never played the Lost Sanctum, I've never done any of the DS bonus content, and that's still my opinion on the game. Those final quests for each character are good for development, but as gameplay, they're boring as sin and too difficult to find each piece of. And I think the late game bosses, unless you know where to get all the really good equipment, rely on previously knowing how each boss works and what attacks, what party members, to bring. Which, to be fair, can be said of a lot of RPGs, which is why I don't like a lot of RPGs. Suikoden II don't do that shit. Suikoden III does, though.

Still, I'm clearly in the minority. Most people consider Chrono Trigger to be a pure classic, and I did enjoy a lot of it, so it's worth playing. TOO BAD THERE'S NO EASY WAY TO DO IT. The SNES version is very expensive for the cartridge, the Virtual Console release was only on the original Wii and is therefore inaccessible now, the PS1 version is cheap for either a disc or download but is the worst version of the game, and the DS version has gone pretty high up in price too. Not as high as the SNES version, but double what I paid for it years ago (though I did get a good deal on it). Because I don't like paying those kinds of prices in general, especially for a game I don't super-recommend, I'd say your best bet for trying it if you're interested is getting it on mobile or Steam and just living with the flaws. Those versions are only $15 at most, and that's worth it for Ayla.

2693492%20-%20Ayla%20Chrono_Series%20Chr

Now...will I ever play Chrono Cross? It's cheap, it's easily accessible, but I don't know. It's got such a mixed and confusing reception that I don't know what to think of it. It doesn't play much like Chrono Trigger, which is a shame because I liked how it played, but that's not a dealbreaker. It's distanced a lot from Chrono Trigger, but seeing as how I don't love it, that might not be a bad thing. I'm just confused on whether that lackluster reception is solely as a sequel to Chrono Trigger, or is it just a mild RPG in general? It's a risk to take for a much longer game when I could instead buy Breath of Fire IV on PSN, an RPG I'm more likely to enjoy as a well-regarded cult classic with gameplay I know I like because Mega Man X: Command Mission plays exactly like Breath of Fire.