Can guys wear skirts?

Spurgle    178

In my opinion gender should be completely disassociated from clothing, it should be down to an individual to decide what they feel comfortable wearing, not for society to judge what is and is not acceptable. 

Related to this thread, I've recently took a few steps towards disregarding social norms in clothing. I've started going to class barefoot, and while I gotten a few questions about my choice in footwear(i.e. the total lack thereof), no one has said anything condemning. More recently I bought enough women's tunics to replace all of my t-shirts, and I'm loving the thinner, stretchier fabric and the fact they're long enough to not be midriff tops when worn with shorts that are too tight in the waist to fit over my gut.

satyr    659

A hundred years ago, women wearing pants was indeed considered crossdressing. The thing is, male clothes are generally more practical, especially when it comes to doing any kind of physical work or vigorous physical activity. So it's no wonder that when women started doing more of these traditionally male activities, they started adopting male dress. Today, pants are a natural part of women's wardrobe, so it's not really associated with either gender anymore.

But yeah, don't fault me for thinking you look feminine if you're a man and you wear clothes that are exclusively associated with women. Clothes speak, and it's only natural that we read them as such. It doesn't help that most men who wear female-associated clothes are indeed on some level trying to appear feminine. I probably would have said the same thing if I was some bum farmer a hundred years ago and saw a woman in pants, although if she made the argument that they were more practical and felt nicer I might have changed my mind. I know my great-grandmother (who would have been 111 this year) was an outlier in wearing jeans, although they are undoubtedly more comfortable working attire when doing farmwork than dresses or skirts, which were the typical dress of the day for women living in the countryside nearly a century ago. I do kind of admire her for her very modern attitudes, actually. When asked about sex before marriage, she replied simply, "You've got to try on the shoes to see if they fit before you buy them." Which puts a different spin on a person who was, by the time I knew her, so old and hard of hearing that it was almost impossible to carry a conversation with her.

I don't want to take away anyone's choice when it comes to what they want to wear, but at the same time, if there is no practical reason to do so, if you wear clothes associated with the other gender I'll certainly be inclined to think of you as more feminine/masculine than the average person of your gender. We can't ever divorce clothing choices from assumptions about a person's identity, I don't think, because clothes are a big part of how we express our identities. I've known guys who would crossdress for Halloween and no one gave them shit for it; everyone thought it was funny and daring. They had a practical reason for their choice: that day of the year when taking on a radically different identity, whether that be a zombie or a woman, is considered okay. But if they wore the same thing on a different day eyebrows would certainly be raised.

^Too bad practicality hasn't won out outside manual labor. Business attire is easily the most uncomfortable thing I've ever been expected to wear.

I'm a little careful about what I wear in public. I do wear women's satin panties most of the time and sometimes pantyhose under my jeans and in the cold weather leggings or tights under my jeans. I wear a pair of my girlfriends pajamas to bed most nights for comfort. In the warm weather I sometimes wear a pair of her nylon jogging shorts with the built in moisture wicking panty. 

PWG    53

Don't think I'd ever wear skirts (well, not in public) butttttttt.

I obviously wear panties.  I have tights, as well as skinny jeans/pants too (17s or 15s fit me no problem, my avatar is actually of my skinny green cargo pants).  Also wear knee-high/thigh-high socks, leggings, short-shorts, and I have a few shoes that would probably pass for "feminine" as well (just Converse in different color combos).

I've worn panties, tights (under pants), socks, shoes, and skinny jeans/pants out in public, the others at home.

Edited by PWG

Posted (edited)

I wear skirts fairly often, mostly in the summer.  They're a lot more comfortable than jeans or other conventional male-people clothing in the hot sticky weather.  I go out in public, walk through town, get on the bus or the train, eat in restaurants, etc etc.  No one has ever directly challenged my right or told me I can't be in that space dressed that way (although I've gotten stares and drawn some comments, the most common of which is "Is that a KILT?" to which I reply "No, it's a skirt" and then they don't know what to say next).

I identify as a male girl so I'm totally fine with it causing people to perceive me as feminine, although they may project some incorrect assumptions about my sexual preference along with the recognition of femininity.  There are always tradeoffs.

Edited by KnottyBuoy

Auntie    31

I think it should be obvious that men should be able to wear whatever the hell they want, without being judged. Sadly, that is not the society we live in. 

I've seen a guy prance around in skirt, probably because he'd lost a bet or something, and people were gathering around him, laughing and joking it off. I admit to pulling a smile at it as well. He did look funny, even in my eyes, but why did he look funny? Exactly. Because it's not something men usually wear. And why is that? Because of the stigma. And humans somehow have it ingrained in them, to act and feel a certain way towards things that are new and unusual.  

If, in the future, the stigma would somehow be reduced, and it would become a common occurrence to see a guy walking around in a skirt, there would be no problem. I guess someone needs to be brave enough to break the norm, and make it a trend. But that would obviously not be an easy thing to do. And it's also likely that people will just laugh it off, think of it as a joke, and then eventually forget about it. So essentially, guys all over the world would have to start doing it on a daily basis for people to really get used to the idea. I don't see that happening anytime soon, but who knows.

Anyway, my opinion is that clothes should not have a gender. They are just items. Should work the same way as wearing a wrist clock or socks.

Posted (edited)

I think that the reason that we have 'masculine' and 'feminine' clothing stereotypes is mostly a cultural thing, but at the same time is also a legitimate looks thing. And so I will state opinions on both sides

1: Against men being able to wear anything: I.... just have a feeling that your average guy wouldn't look good in female clothing, like I get the image of the big buff man with thick chest hair wearing the frilly pink getup with that image. (Or think of the Lumberjack skit from Monty Python, like that's what I imagine about guys in feminine clothing)

2: For it: though on 'skirts' I think we need more... 'male skirts' in the world. I only separate that from kilt because whilst I do think there should be more kilts too, if we're talking about 'should guys be able to wear skirts' I think that 'traditionally female clothing designed for men' could be considered. I mean, think about female clothing today, a lot of the clothing that was traditionally male got female versions.

3: in the middle. I think the overall thing is 'there should be things made to facilitate this' but men shouldn't be running around in dresses out to work.

4: a MASSIVE FOR: Tunics man, tunics, I don't care if people would just accuse me of wanting to link cosplay around or something, bring back the tunic.

Edited by Curiousanon

EMT    93

I mean, most guys don't look very good in skirts. It shows off the legs, and men usually don't have very nice legs. It's still up to them if they want to wear it. I won't harass someone over something like that, but do expect to hear whispers and fingers pointed, etc.

15 hours ago, EMT said:

I mean, most guys don't look very good in skirts. It shows off the legs, and men usually don't have very nice legs. It's still up to them if they want to wear it. I won't harass someone over something like that, but do expect to hear whispers and fingers pointed, etc.

I like to wear skirts because I *do* have really good legs, as curvy as anyone's.  I get a lot of compliments on them from women, who also incidentally often find guys in skirts quite hot.  

ololol    41
On 7/5/2016 at 6:44 PM, alexwbj said:

I'm not gay as it happens, and not a cross-dresser either. I'm not really into skirts (even on girls) so don't ever feel tempted to wear one. But I sometimes used to share some of my girlfriend's clothes, such as shirts or jeans, thought they were the kind either gender might wear. I also sometimes wore her panties (and she sometimes borrowed my underpants too). Not a big deal, and nobody else even knew. Oh yes, and I sometimes wore here pjs to. The fun thing was when I wore something of hers and peed in it :)

Besides that, now that I live alone I have a few girls' items that bought myself mainly thinking of the fun I could have wetting them, but I don't only wear them when I wet them. I have women's shorts, yoga pants, and stuff like that. They are nice and comfortable and I enjoy wearing them, but only do it in private because... people. If I wanted to wear more "feminine" clothes I would, I just don't like them as much. And if I wanted to wear them out in public I would. I just don't feel that need or desire.

Be proud and free. I don't have any issue with that!

Yeah, you're a crossdresser. Nothing wrong with it.

If you want to wear a skirt, wear a skirt. Shouldn't even be an issue, honestly.

EMT    93
9 hours ago, KnottyBuoy said:

I like to wear skirts because I *do* have really good legs, as curvy as anyone's.  I get a lot of compliments on them from women, who also incidentally often find guys in skirts quite hot.  

Good on you, man. My legs are decent, but I'm lazy with shaving and the such. This is a pretty hard topic for me to discuss, since I love traps, but I'm also pretty for gendered stuff. Conflicting emotions are everywhere.

Brandie    78

Guys can wear anything they want. We just need to face our own fears of what people will say and think. Confidence is the key. If you are confident and comfortable in your attire you will greatly reduce the negativity that you fear you will encounter. 

I wear "women's" clothes most of the time. The positive comments and compliments I get far out weigh the negative responses. 

Jaylah    207
12 hours ago, Brandie said:

Guys can wear anything they want. We just need to face our own fears of what people will say and think. Confidence is the key. If you are confident and comfortable in your attire you will greatly reduce the negativity that you fear you will encounter. 

I wear "women's" clothes most of the time. The positive comments and compliments I get far out weigh the negative responses. 

I think to a degree everyone is a cross dresser, if we go back to the 1900s, we see women in skirts and dresses, until war, then pants, men traditionally wore pants, I wear pants when I work out, and based on what I said, i'm too guilty, if pants are mens clothing, technically. (Sometimes my hubby will get all touchy when I wear a few certain skirts because he likes the feel, I offered him a hand job through it, but he declined lol, he's not a handy person you could say, he won't even touch himself, I have to do all the work lol)

Also another thing, I think to a degree we are all bi sexual, some more then others, I'm married, attracted to men, but i find some women positively lovely, good looking, and i'll look twice, but maybe that's just me and i'm crazy :(

Brandie    78
11 hours ago, Jaylah said:

I think to a degree everyone is a cross dresser, if we go back to the 1900s, we see women in skirts and dresses, until war, then pants, men traditionally wore pants, I wear pants when I work out, and based on what I said, i'm too guilty, if pants are mens clothing, technically. (Sometimes my hubby will get all touchy when I wear a few certain skirts because he likes the feel, I offered him a hand job through it, but he declined lol, he's not a handy person you could say, he won't even touch himself, I have to do all the work lol)

Also another thing, I think to a degree we are all bi sexual, some more then others, I'm married, attracted to men, but i find some women positively lovely, good looking, and i'll look twice, but maybe that's just me and i'm crazy :(

I think you are totally right on both both statements. 

Also I would point out that when a guy wraps a towel around his waist after a shower........that is a skirt!

One of my girlfriends, after spending some time with me while I was wearing a skirt, said "It really makes me want to reach under it.  You're so accessible.  How do men keep their hands to themselves around women wearing skirts?  I can't stop thinking about it, it's like you're not really layered up, I could just slip my hand under and you're right there"

I'm a Guy, but I wrap my towels so they run from just under my arm pit to just above my knee. Then again, I also don't put up with wimpy, everyday towels or even those big wimps we call beach towels. Nope, You've got to be at least 35"*70" and thicker than three normal towels or all you're good for is mopping the bathroom floor. Granted, on a man of my stature, a normal towel would be little better than a loincloth.

Seriously, why would anyone settle for anything less than a proper bath sheet when they get out of the shower/bath?

P.S. I find the towel dress look very sexy and would love an opportunity to scoop up a cute, petite girl who's coming out of the bathroom wrapped in one of my towels but otherwise naked and have the opportunity to unwrap her. Bonus points if she was already desperate to pee before she went to take a shower and is whining cutely about how hard it was to hold through such a long, hot shower.

This is maybe slightly off topic but I don't understand why it is socially acceptable at the moment for women to wear very short tight sexy shorts, but not for men who have to wear long, baggy and unattractive shorts, unlike in the 1980s when both men and women could wear short shorts.  (Actually I have some short tight women's shorts that I wear at home - but that's another story.)

^My best guess is that fashion trends make no sense. Granted, I like my shorts a bit on the baggy side(what's the point of wearing shorts if they don't allow air to flow up the legs?).