Save 20% on Gold Subscription upgrades! ×
Sign in to follow this  

Religion

Ah, well, I more or less agree with that! x) Religion is very powerful (in good ways), and there's plenty of evidence to support that.

I am atheist. I try to tolerate religion and acknowledge that people are just as entitled to have their beliefs as I am to have mine, however, I also find myself becoming militantly atheist if I see people using religion to discriminate against others. A few examples can be elements of the Muslim faith treating women as inferior sub humans, and Christians discriminating against the LGBT community.

Fortunately it is only a relatively small proportion of those groups who treat people badly, and provided you're not a jackass (for religious reasons or otherwise), I'll be only too happy to be your friend. I have many religious friends and have no issue with their beliefs.

Aloo

• Upvote 2

I am LDS but I do also believe in some practices of Bushido but that's not a religion so I also follow military philosophers.

A very interesting religion I have come across and studied as part of my studies is Jainism. They strive to kill no living thing, including microorganisms. They cannot live unassisted, because they need lay people to wash their food, boil their water, sweep the floors, etc. so the monks do not have to do anything that could potentially kill another living thing. Its oddly noble.

A very interesting religion I have come across and studied as part of my studies is Jainism. They strive to kill no living thing, including microorganisms. They cannot live unassisted, because they need lay people to wash their food, boil their water, sweep the floors, etc. so the monks do not have to do anything that could potentially kill another living thing. Its oddly noble.

I can't walk here because I might kill a microorganisms, so I let other sweep the floor and kill those blasted microorganisms for me -_- 

I can't walk here because I might kill a microorganisms, so I let other sweep the floor and kill those blasted microorganisms for me -_- 

Religion!

Religion!

Really, though, this concept feels like it's in pretty stark contrast to the perversion of more major religions. You won't have Crusades or suicide attacks in the name of... Not killing anything at all. lol

I'm a Jehovah's Witness, though not the kind you might think of, I consider myself an Olive Branch Witness. I believe most of the basic tenets of the faith though I don't live the strict cut off from society lifestyle that true Witnesses do. I'm the kind of witness that is really approachable in that I'm actively engaged in society (as in watching and enjoying films that a true witness wouldn't even dream of viewing, playing graphic video games, and reading not just unapproved books but also books that challenge the faith and are deemed sacrilegious) most of my witnessing (going out into that world and testifying about Jehovah) is actually done in bars, strip clubs, and homeless shelters.

With  only one of my parents being a witness the compromise was to raise their children as Baptists. At the age of ten I was even baptized as a Baptist, though my Father always taught and spoke from the Witnesses point of view. One of the reasons my local elders tolerate my "odd" preaching and lifestyle habits is because I wasn't baptized in the faith and that I have been able to bring a few people "fully" into the church. Nothing like watching someone you brought to the faith getting baptized when you haven't been.  

I'm an atheist.  I was raised Catholic as a kid, and I was a practicing witch in the early 2000s, taught by my aunt.

I recently 'converted' to atheism even though that's not really a religion so much as a lack thereof. 

One day the idea popped into my head that it is not only possible, but exponentially more likely, that the Bible was just the writings of a society looking for answers that they didn't have, just like every other religion. I realized that the only reason most Christians believe is because their parents did, and that if they weren't raised in that religion they would see it like people see any religion they don't belong to: utterly and completely false.

On 2/19/2016 at 4:21 PM, aloo said:

I am atheist. I try to tolerate religion and acknowledge that people are just as entitled to have their beliefs as I am to have mine, however, I also find myself becoming militantly atheist if I see people using religion to discriminate against others. A few examples can be elements of the Muslim faith treating women as inferior sub humans, and Christians discriminating against the LGBT community.

Fortunately it is only a relatively small proportion of those groups who treat people badly, and provided you're not a jackass (for religious reasons or otherwise), I'll be only too happy to be your friend. I have many religious friends and have no issue with their beliefs.

Aloo

Totally understandable. I'm a Compassionate Christian who believes in Gay Marriage plus I don't shove religion down to peoples throats. I don't see Atheists as bad people and I don't see Religious People as good people. I see the goodness in people rather they are gay, african, canadian, atheist, or other race/religion I dislike those who abuse religion in the wrong way, dislike people who have cold hearts, and I dislike murders/killers/rapists/terrorists.

• Upvote 1

I'm a Compassionate Christian who believes in Gay Marriage plus I don't shove religion down to peoples throats. I don't see Atheists as bad people and I don't see Religious People as good people. I see the goodness in people rather they are gay, african, canadian, atheist, or other race/religion I dislike those who abuse religion in the wrong way, dislike people who have cold hearts, and I dislike murders/killers/rapists/terrorists. I was raised Catholic as a Child but then I switched religion when I was 18. I also believe in Science and Nature lol.

I'm actually an atheist, and like aloo, I don't hate or remotely dislike anyone with a religion. The strange thing is, I still practice Christian holidays (Christmas for the most part), and that's mostly due to my family being mostly Christian. I just roll with it and try to enjoy myself

My family is Catholic, but only by cultural association, my family doesn't really go to church. They're only Catholic because of Irish/Italian heritage. I personally don't believe in a god (unless you count comrade Josip Broz Tito of course).

Edited by Ms. Tito

Sign in to follow this