Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Religion

@DesperateJill That's the beauty of an unknowable god's unknowable plan. Anything can be made to fit it. If things went your way, then clearly, God did it. If they didn't, then clearly, God was working a complex plan and needed that thing to happen for reasons you can't see.

>Don't worry I am sure that several lifetimes into the future

>the bathroom lines will still be with us!

One day, you'll be an Asian writer on a space station orbiting Procyon, your cute kitty in your arms.... as you squirm in a long ladies' room line. 😄

You know, come to think of it, if there was a God, there'd be no bathroom lines because of everyone going "oh god oh god I gotta go so bad!" when waiting in one! He'd have to respond to at least one of those prayers, right?

Edited by trekkie (see edit history)
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know, right? I mean, that's a weird thing to say about an atheist communist autocrat, but it kinda makes sense. Fought off the Fascists, told Stalin to go fuck himself, and kept the ethnically divid

I was glad I was able to find this Futurama clip was available online as I think it perfectly sums up the whole debate about the supposed "lack of evidence" for evolution. The evidence for evolution i

I feel everyone should believe what they want to believe. I believe in God. I do so because I have seen some of His work and it convinced me. Now, when I ask things, He delivers and I couldn't be

@trekkie

"That's the beauty of an unknowable god's unknowable plan. Anything can be made to fit it. If things went your way, then clearly, God did it. If they didn't, then clearly, God was working a complex plan and needed that thing to happen for reasons you can't see.

You know, come to think of it, if there was a God, there'd be no bathroom lines because of everyone going "oh god oh god I gotta go so bad!" when waiting in one! He'd have to respond to at least one of those prayers, right?"

That's one of the issues I have with God and prayer in general. I think that George Carlin summed it up pretty well when he said what a good is prayer because if God has some type of divine plan is begging going to really change it? If any idiot with a prayer book can alter God's plan is it really a divine plan in the first place? And seeing as numerous people pray for contrary things that means that God would have to pick and choose and choose sides say between two countries who are each praying for victory in a war, often a war over belief in him in the first place, which he doesn't ever seem to intervene in for whatever reason.

That's why when a prayer comes true or if it doesn't there is a very simple explanation, it's called coincidence!

• 2 weeks later...

Norse pagan, sort of. I know, just bare with me.

To keep it brief:

Raised neutral religiously but my mother was Christian, was never really interested in abrahamic religions myself. I became very anti-religious in my early teens, then atheist, then strange things started happening that would make me question my standing on spiritual matters. At the time I was reading the Edda on the side and I found my answers there on accident. 

No one in real life knows about it, it's a pretty strange religion to follow, I suppose.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 11:26 AM, trekkie said:

@BewitchedG1rl That sounds cool! How does one properly observe Odin, Thor, etc.?

And, can you tell us more about the strange things that made you ask those questions?

Well there isn't really any one clear way of how to properly do it but usually there's the idea of the cycle of giving. If you respect the gods and/or give them offerings, then they will help you in return. I've long wanted to go to the springtime Blót that happens in Uppsala every year to meet other people with the same beliefs but haven't gotten around to it yet. And no a Blót no longer means blood sacrifices so don't worry lol, most Norse pagans actually consider the religion pacifistic now.

As for the strange things they're a bit too personal, sorry. I can tell you they were big coincidences happening all at once along with on two occasions very strange looking balls of light. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, StrawberryPan said:

Feel free to keep your personal experiences personal, but this interests me. I have had a handful of experiences involving balls of light and I am still trying to figure out what they mean or portend.

Well first time I saw one it was right next to me as I was sitting on a sofa talking to my bf on the phone, I saw a bright white light out of the corner of my eye and looked over because I thought the outlet on the other side of the sofa was sparking or something, instead I saw a floating perfectly circular light made out of... Something. Closest thing I could compare it to is kinda like an illusion spell from Skyrim, the white ball-ish light your character holds in their hand, but I saw it for not even a second and then it was gone. 

Immediately after I tried to come up with some scientific explanation as I was extremely freaked out. I figured that it could have been some kind of ball lightning or something but I wasn't really convinced, there's other phenomena too that could explain it but usually they don't happen in someone's sofa.

Second time I didn't see it personally, my mother saw it and recorded it. It struck me because the ball of light was hovering over a part of the woods that me and my mother had considered more or less sacred, it just gave you a powerful feeling being there, but that part was cut down when the land switched owners. This time it was also way bigger and seemed to switch colours between white, yellow, red and blue, it also seemed to change shape slightly. I thought maybe it could be the Ignis Fatuus phenomenon thing, basically gases in marshland that ignites itself, usually they're green in colour tho and there wasn't any marshland there but I dunno.

I had the feeling that spiritually it was something like Landvættir or something which is basically nature spirits, which probably sounds kinda crazy but it just made sense to me.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:21 AM, BewitchedG1rl said:

-snip-

Berry interesting experiences ty for sharing! I think we should not think of such things as nature spirits etc as 'crazy' because nature has a spirit unto itself and reaches far past our understanding. I enjoyed looking up the term Landvættir and I feel the same way about a certain many places I know!

Sometimes it just takes seeing the unexplainable to believe these things. Granted there are nearly an infinite amount of perspectives, subjectives, objectives, and often reasonable explanations, but many times there are not, and in any case its clear to me that there is a great deal going on behind the scenes whatever it may entail.

I will now share my experiences with these things. First, was when I was ~12 years old I was in my back yard swinging on the swing set. Suddenly I saw about 10ft from me maybe 6-10 orange balls of light dancing in a strange pattern in the middle of my neighbors yard. Clear as day. Lasted for about 10 seconds, bright orange, giving off a glow onto the surroundings, before fizzling out. Neighbors had no lights or anything in that yard, it was just a barren yard. My friends who were there happened to go inside right before it happened, which makes me think it was either meant for me or I'm really unlucky to have noone to corroborate my story lol.

Second is an experience spanning many years, I have always liked to go out to the beach and bring a telescope and look at the stars. There were many times I would fix on a bright object in the sky, focus in and see again 6-10 points of light either circling, dancing, or gyrating around the central object. These experiences were mostly looking over open water.

Third, when I was walking home from a store with friends many years ago we all saw a large, stationary yellowish orb, glowing right above/between the clouds, it just... sat there... Was still there when I got home.

Same thing when I was maybe 10 years old in a car, I saw nearly the same thing hovering above a spot of woods just below the clouds near the road we were driving along, I got all scared and my dad was like 'its just a blimp' but it absolutely was not a blimp at 10pm at night lol it was glowing.

Spirits? Aliens? Something else? All I know is I wasnt hallucinating lol. I'm personally of a mind to consider them omens of sorts, but what they portend I still am not sure of and am still trying to figure out to this day..

Edited by StrawberryPan
bad at composition (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...