Sign In

Religion

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know, right? I mean, that's a weird thing to say about an atheist communist autocrat, but it kinda makes sense. Fought off the Fascists, told Stalin to go fuck himself, and kept the ethnically divid

I was glad I was able to find this Futurama clip was available online as I think it perfectly sums up the whole debate about the supposed "lack of evidence" for evolution. The evidence for evolution i

I feel everyone should believe what they want to believe. I believe in God. I do so because I have seen some of His work and it convinced me. Now, when I ask things, He delivers and I couldn't be

Born into Christianity.

After a while I realized that God probably exists and He listens but He couldn't give two messes about the human race. Despite my manner of expression, I mean this very lightly and I toy with the idea often.

I normally express it when I see things like romantically compatible individuals who cannot meet because of distance or extraneous factors, or when I see political movements by persons who live in a state of paranoia or have a necessity for attention, especially towards issues that do not concern them, for example.

Honestly, I don't think there's any such thing.

My parents attempted to raise me in the Methodist flavor of Christianity. It didn't work. And they have nobody to blame but themselves.

As a direct consequence, I was aggressively atheist (or at least aggressively anti-religionist) for a long time, but with age comes wisdom... and a handful of weird experiences that take more effort to shoehorn into a mechanistic worldview than Occam's Razor allows. I try to keep an open mind these days, but I still have trouble reading literature by - or interacting with - other survivalists and preppers who wear their faith on their sleeve. I can't even get much schadenfreude out of watching them paint themselves into a corner with prophecies and predictions and trying to reconcile and justify why the End of Days didn't arrive on schedule. It's just... sad.

I don't know what category I'd fit in these days.

Baptised Christian, raised in a generally loosely "Christian" but mostly secular home. 

I'm an agnostic atheist now, or possibly a naturalistic pantheist depending on your definition of "God". I'd definitely call myself a secular humanist as well. While I don't believe in the metaphysics of Christianity I do still like its teachings a lot, and I think they come closest of any other religion to my own moral/ethical views when it comes to things like non-violence, poverty, social equality, forgiveness, etc. 

I'm agnostic. My parents are Christian, well, they identify as Christian at least, so I went by that as well. But over time I begin to question things and I realized I have no basis for faith and that doesn't really sit well with me. So I'm agnostic, I can't confirm nor deny the existence of a god.

I see, well my opinion is that it is not very intelligent to be an outright Athiest, because how can somebody outright deny something without confirming it or denying. If you doubt the existence of that G-d, there is nothing wrong with that, but it does not make much sense to completely nullify the possibility. For this reason, I can understand the root of the agnostic point of view. 

I don't mean to offend Athiests, but I just can't understand why one would choose denial over doubt.

Edited by realmadrid (see edit history)

I see, well my opinion is that it is not very intelligent to be an outright Athiest, because how can somebody outright deny something without confirming it or denying. If you doubt the existence of that G-d, there is nothing wrong with that, but it does not make much sense to completely nullify the possibility. For this reason, I can understand the root of the agnostic point of view. 

I don't mean to offend Athiests, but I just can't understand why one would choose denial over doubt.

I completely understand. I think the basis for Atheism is more so rejecting the fantastic or the conventionally unbelievable. I mean, we know magic doesn't exist, so how can we believe something was able to magically create the universe? Though the reason I choose Agnosticism over it is because the universe is on a completely different scale, and no matter what you choose to believe, something incredible had to happen.  So I mean with theories that this is a simulation, or we just poofed into existence somehow, I don't see god(s) as being particularly farfetch'd, and of course, even if I doubted it, I can't disprove it. 

Also, your next post is your 1000, congratulations. 

I completely understand. I think the basis for Atheism is more so rejecting the fantastic or the conventionally unbelievable. I mean, we know magic doesn't exist, so how can we believe something was able to magically create the universe? Though the reason I choose Agnosticism over it is because the universe is on a completely different scale, and no matter what you choose to believe, something incredible had to happen.  So I mean with theories that this is a simulation, or we just poofed into existence somehow, I don't see god(s) as being particularly farfetch'd, and of course, even if I doubted it, I can't disprove it. 

Also, your next post is your 1000, congratulations. 

I get it :)  and thanks, I was hoping to have some kind of extra-special wetting find as my 1000th  :sleep:  but maybe at 2000 lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Born into Christian/Jewish household. Celebrate allll the holidays, but I'm 100% atheist. If it can't be proved with the scientific method or reliable mathematical models, then it's not worth considering, I think. Basically counterproductive with all the speculation with no means to real results. Like, what if there's an afterlife? If you can't prove, with hard evidence, that it's real, then why treat the possibility as though it's true? Could argue about achieving morals, but those can be gained just as well without religion.

Of course, these statements are directed to fundamentalism more than anything else. I'm generally more understaning of spiritual practices like Buddhism, but I'd still find them rather counterproductive myself.

Occam's razor! The simplest solution is the most likely. Sure, an Intelligent Designer may be how the Universe came about, but don't complicate things with an oddly specific god (Christian god, Jewish god, Zoroastrian gods, etc...). The laws of physics are vastly simpler than religion, when you think about it.

Edited by Leitmotif (see edit history)

Born into Christian/Jewish household. Celebrate allll the holidays, but I'm 100% atheist. If it can't be proved with the scientific method or reliable mathematical models, then it's not worth considering, I think. Basically counterproductive with all the speculation with no means to real results. Like, what if there's an afterlife? If you can't prove, with hard evidence, that it's real, then why treat the possibility as though it's true? Could argue about achieving morals, but those can be gained just as well without religion.

Of course, these statements are directed to fundamentalism more than anything else. I'm generally more understaning of spiritual practices like Buddhism, but I'd still find them rather counterproductive myself.

Occam's razor! The simplest solution is the most likely. Sure, an Intelligent Designer may be how the Universe came about, but don't complicate things with an oddly specific god (Christian god, Jewish god, Zoroastrian gods, etc...). The laws of physics are vastly simpler than religion, when you think about it.

As a person with a strong scientific background, I completely understand your concerns with the idea and practice of religion being incompatible with the scientific method. However, I will say that a strong aspect of religion is that it can provide solace and strength to those in need. What does that mean? It means that it gives hope to those who have lost their way, and for many people it is more soothing to hear the religious explanation, than to try to prove the existence of something through scientific logic. 

Also, I will say that there are many people who have gone to provide reasonable scientific explanations for many of religion's phenomena!

However, I will say that a strong aspect of religion is that it can provide solace and strength to those in need. What does that mean? It means that it gives hope to those who have lost their way, and for many people it is more soothing to hear the religious explanation...

Also, I will say that there are many people who have gone to provide reasonable scientific explanations for many of religion's phenomena!

That is true, in addition to religion having the capacity to lay down a foundation of morals. I also recognize that is it easier to access than more secular means to solace and strength since it immediately provides answers. But that doesn't mean secular means to obtaining such strength don't exist.

While I may have sounded quite opinionated there, I'm not terribly active in voicing these thoughts since most who practice some form of religion or spiritualism will not change their minds, and vice-versa since I'm very unlikely to ever become spiritual. xP People tend to be like that. Instead, I feel that religion should be systematically shunned over a long period of time via good public education (effectively, just teaching students to think critically, and of course without making religious/spiritual students feel stupid or inferior, because they're not seeing as religion is a societal phenomenon more than a personal one).

The scientific validation of some religious phenomena neither validates the religion as a whole nor the verity of religious reasoning, right?

Edited by Leitmotif (see edit history)