Save 20% on Gold Subscription upgrades! ×
Sign in to follow this  

I would some opinions on this...

First some background-

As I'm sure you probably already know, if you have read many of my other posts, I run HD Wetting and HD Diapers.  Before launching these sites, I just an average member of the wetting community, I started using the Wetset BBS in 1998 when I got my first computer.  I was underage then, but I very much appreciated any little bit of content I could find.

Becoming an adult I grew more aware of sites that catered to our fetish.  Money was tight for me though. I couldn't afford to support the sites that I loved, and had no real way of giving back to the community.  When I started HD Wetting I didn't want it to be just another pay site.  From the very beginning, I wanted to offer excellent free content for people who were like myself and simply couldn't afford to support the videos they love.  I didn't want to push people into piracy, so I have always worked to put up free videos for all to enjoy on HD Wetting.

The problem-

HD Wetting costs money to run.  Bandwidth for videos is not cheap.  I would like to put up a lot more free videos on HD Wetting and HD Diapers, but can't afford to do so.  Currently, 99.6% of the bandwidth usage on the site is going to serving up the free videos.

So my problem is, how do I give away all the free videos I would like to while simultaneously managing bandwidth?

An obvious solution would be to upload more videos here.  Indeed, I have uploaded several videos here on Omorashi.org in the past and plan to do more in the future.  While this solution does indeed work, I take pride in being able to offer up my own content on my own site.  I like having a central repository for all the content I have created.  Also, even though this is probably a bit selfish, I feel offering up the free videos on HD Wetting might entice people to join, more so than if they download the videos elsewhere.

Possible solution-

The solution that I am exploring, that I would like your opinion on, is to limit the number of free video views in a 24-hour period.  Members, of course, would be able to continue to enjoy unlimited and unrestricted access to everything.  Non-members would only be allowed to view X number of free videos in any 24-hour period.

Specifically I am hoping to answer these questions-

• Does this solution sound at all palatable to you?
  • Do you think it is better to have more free videos available but limit how much can be watched in a day, or offer fewer free videos with no limitations?
  • Do you even watch the free videos on HD Wetting?  Would you stop visiting if there was a limitation on how many you could watch a day?

Thank you, in advance, for your feedback :)

Have you considered putting advertisements on your website or commercials on your videos for non-members? That may help you make up some of the costs. 

Have you considered putting advertisements on your website or commercials on your videos for non-members? That may help you make up some of the costs. 

Yes, and it doesn't work.  For advertising to be a viable option I would have to have way more traffic than what I am getting.  As far as I'm aware, no-one has yet been successful in ad-supported adult video.  The sites that do make money off of ads are huge, with millions of daily visitors, and even then they are not producing their own content.

Website wise, you have 2 options. First, you can raise your prices (or offer another level of membership that is cheaper, but doesn't give you access to everything the regular membership does). Second, you can cut your bandwidth and to do that, you will have to limit free user views and get rid of some of your older videos. 

Other than the website, have you looked into producing DVDs or Blu-Rays? These might supplement the costs. I don't know if you have any other merchandising options though, unless you were looking to produce a brand of adult clothes or toys related to omorashi. 

Website wise, you have 2 options. First, you can raise your prices (or offer another level of membership that is cheaper, but doesn't give you access to everything the regular membership does). Second, you can cut your bandwidth and to do that, you will have to limit free user views and get rid of some of your older videos. 

Other than the website, have you looked into producing DVDs or Blu-Rays? These might supplement the costs. I don't know if you have any other merchandising options though, unless you were looking to produce a brand of adult clothes or toys related to omorashi. 

Thanks for the ideas!

The issue really isn't with members.  Memberships have such a small impact on the overall bandwidth usage that I could easily have 20,000 more members sign up and it would only then get close to the bandwidth that is being used serving free videos.  Plus, I simply don't want to have different membership tiers.  I want that if someone signs up for a membership that they can have complete, unrestricted access to everything.  If someone is looking to save money and doesn't want to purchase a full membership, they can buy the individual downloads.

Right now, the problem is with the free videos.  I have 20 free videos on HD Wetting and only a couple on HD Diapers.  I would like to offer a lot more for free, but don't feel I can afford to do so right now.  I was thinking about limiting the number of videos per 24 hour period as a good way to be able to offer more videos for free without having runaway bandwidth costs.

The issue I am concerned with right now is not really making more money with the site, though that is always nice, but how to give away more for free without having to purchase a more expensive hosting plan that includes more bandwidth.

Well the easiest solution is to buy the more expensive plan (which is why I mentioned things relating to increasing your prices since the income would compensate the cost of your website bandwidth). 

But in terms of lowering bandwidth, another solution may be reducing the size of your free videos. Lowering the quality slightly or changing your rendering format may reduce bandwidth usage. Also, if you haven't already, try using a file compressor to help you out with shrinking file sizes.

Bittorrent

Pros don't do backups, they just upload and let the world mirror it.

If you really want to pay, Amazon S3 would probably be cheap(ish). 

I could see torrents fizzling out after a while meaning they become impossible to download.

I would agrea with Diaperhealthb to be honest. Just lower the quality down from 1080p to 360p and have a disclaimer on the video that says that when you sign up you get the full 1080p quality :)

I looked at some examples of youtube videos. A music video in 1080p is like 120Mb. In 360p you can get it for 18mb or so.

Yes it lacks the same clarity but it will still entice people and show your talent using only 1/6th of the bandwidth :D

Maybe offer torrents as "dual cast"? In other words, you'll have and recommend the torrents, but the old fashioned web downloads are still available as a backup.

And while it might be technically difficult to do so, what would be nice is some way to reward those who seed a lot.

More free videos but with a limitation of views sounds like the best solution, to me at least. More free videos would give potential members a large sampling of your work and make it easier to decide if they want to buy a full membership.

As a real fan of the free content on hd wetting, I have to say one of things I appreciate compared to other free materials is the high quality. Therefore, I'd much rather see the amount of videos one can watch in a time period limited than the quality of the materials being lowered as proposed above. Actually, I won't have any problem at all with a limitation like that. Even if multiple videos would be uploaded at once, I won't mind comming back later to watch another video I couldn't watch earlier. To answer the questions TVGuy asked literally:

Does this solution sound at all palatable to you?

Absolutely

Do you think it is better to have more free videos available but limit how much can be watched in a day, or offer fewer free videos with no limitations?

Definitely more free videos with the limitation

Do you even watch the free videos on HD Wetting?

I've seen them all at least once

Would you stop visiting if there was a limitation on how many you could watch a day?

No way

• Upvote 1

As a real fan of the free content on hd wetting, I have to say one of things I appreciate compared to other free materials is the high quality. Therefore, I'd much rather see the amount of videos one can watch in a time period limited than the quality of the materials being lowered as proposed above. Actually, I won't have any problem at all with a limitation like that. Even if multiple videos would be uploaded at once, I won't mind comming back later to watch another video I couldn't watch earlier. To answer the questions TVGuy asked literally:

Absolutely

Do you think it is better to have more free videos available but limit how much can be watched in a day, or offer fewer free videos with no limitations?

Would you stop visiting if there was a limitation on how many you could watch a day?

No way

I couldn't have answered better, total agreement.

By the way thanks for the free content in HD :smile:

Absolutely

No way

Summed up nicely, but... there might be another option. Dual quality. Usually when scanning websites for something interesting, I don't want the full quality (which takes time to download), but a nice 360p or 600p highly-compressed movie will do the job perfectly.  When I really like a movie, I can then think about download high-quality material.

Since bandwidth is your issue, I'd say limit free visitors to 2-3 HD-quality movies per day (or 1, possibly), while offering the low-quality stuff with a limit that only stops auto-dowload-bots.

Do you have statistics that tell you what percentage of users is causing what percentage of bandwith? If it's only 1-2% causing 90% of your bandwidth, you can cap it at something, say 10-20 movies per day per IP, which should stop those users without harming anyone else. If however most visitors stay for 3-5 movies, and then leave, your options change. The light-weight subscriptions (binge-view movies for 1 hour for $almost-nothing) or simply increasing compression a bit. Especially the latter can help, I'm not sure how much compression you use, and whether you can increase it (a better type of compression can save tons of bandwidth, at the cost of computation power at the users end...), but if you cut your bandwidth in half, (which isn't impossible) your problem would be almost over. Yes this makes quality suffer (a bit) but the alternative is that you can no longer offer freebies, which would hurt more. 

I think you are going in the right way by limiting the amount of videos people would be able to watch in a 24 hour period. Other than this site I find it hard to find free wetting videos out there, except for (those websites), and I think that most people would deal with only being able to watch a certain amount of videos. I do watch some of the free videos on HD Wetting, but it's been a while, I'll have to take a look, thanks. 

As others have mentioned, Bittorent would work well for cutting down serverside bandwidth usage. The issue is a lot of people aren't familiar with or comfortable using it. Perhaps allow full resolution videos to be downloaded via bittorrent while still offering direct streaming through the website at a greatly reduced resolution (ie 240 or even 140p).

If a torrent dies out it could be temporarily seeded through your server but the file would only need to be sent a handful of times vs. the current system of transferring it every time someone wants to stream that video.

Once your regulars get comfortable using it, you may be able to phase out steaming from a central server altogether.

You may also eventually wish to offer bittorrent transfer for members clips as well in order to reduce bandwidth usage even further, perhaps offer some incentive to members that download some or all of their clips this way (ie an extra behind the scenes video each month or something like that) while still allowing them access to conventional download methods for those that are more comfortable with that.

Bitorrent has a rather undeserved bad reputation due to it's rampant use in the piracy world to the point where most legitimate hosts don't even consider using it. It is however one of the most effective ways of moving large amounts of data with minimal bandwidth footprints on any central server, hence why it's so popular with pirates.

Looking in your best interest.

how many people who watch the free videos buy a membership?
limit the quality or the amount there by either removing old ones or restricting it to only a few.

id love to see all your videos for free but if i could then i wouldn't buy a membership.

i also have a very particular preference as would alot of other people so would a multi buy work better for the videos where if you got 3, 5, 10 etc they were substantially cheaper so then those that didn't want to buy a membership but only liked a few videos could buy a decent amount for a reasonable price

Looking in your best interest.

how many people who watch the free videos buy a membership?

limit the quality or the amount there by either removing old ones or restricting it to only a few.

id love to see all your videos for free but if i could then i wouldn't buy a membership.

i also have a very particular preference as would alot of other people so would a multi buy work better for the videos where if you got 3, 5, 10 etc they were substantially cheaper so then those that didn't want to buy a membership but only liked a few videos could buy a decent amount for a reasonable price

Less than one percent of the people who watch the free videos buy a membership.  However, because of the extremely high number of free video views, this isn't that bad.  Publishing free videos has shown to be a great way to get a small boost in membership numbers.

I went ahead and implemented a system that limits the total number of free video views anyone can watch in a 24-hour period.  This way I can still have a large selection of free videos.

As far as offering a bulk discount on individual downloads, I plan on doing something sort of like this.  I still think that buying a membership to the site, with well over 600 high definition videos, offers the best value.  Even choosing the most expensive membership option it works out to less than six cents per video.  Still, I understand that for various reasons there are people who prefer not to buy a membership.  For these people I plan to start offering collections, groups of videos all related to a single theme that can be purchased as an individual download.

It would be nice if there was some way for anyone to contribute to the bandwidth supply and be rewarded in return. For the majority with unlimited Internet, it can be a great way to make use of otherwise wasted bandwidth. For those who don't already have a PC that runs 24/7, a Raspberry Pi (or similar) or even a repurposed old smartphone can make a good start for a cheap, low power server.

I'm the type that generally doesn't actually buy entertainment content, but would gladly contribute in other ways. Especially when it makes use of resources like bandwidth or computing power that would go wasted if unused. Hence why I often prefer to use torrents.

Heck, even licensing the free videos under CC or similar so others can legally mirror them (while giving credit) would be very helpful.

For me the main issue is a lack of funds more than anything (and I would presume for a number of us that would be a contributing factor too) but if budget wasn't an issue I'd say it boils down to the kind of content you produce.

I've noticed particularly in the past 5 years how other content providers such as WettingHerPanties, Bound2Burst, and INeed2Pee have changed their style of videos, and in my opinion for the worst. Again, this boils down to personal preference in videos but the changes both of these producers have made have to their content is putting me off buying their products. WHP has reverted to boring videos where the premise is "here's a hot woman and she's peeing in her clothes and showing it off" and that's it for a large number of videos. B2B have, after reading many years ago of a promise to "never have thongs" have increasing used them as clothing whilst accentuating more nudity in their videos, another turn-off of mine! IN2P hasn't changed all that much but their videos always feature similar scenarios, just with different models in different clothes and for me it's very generic, much like WHP has become.

B2B has said though that the naked videos did sell a lot better, but there is increasing competition from the amateur side of videos, and custom-made videos on sites such as ExtraLunchMoney and Clips4Sale that allow anyone who wants to make and sell content to do so at a price they see fit whilst not worrying about running and paying for a website. This variety will always make it difficult to turn a substantial profit.

Another further problem is trying to please everyone. Like I said I have very specific preferences and whilst there are a lot of videos out there already that cater to my likes, you can only experience the thrill of watching a video once. You want to keep watching more. Again, for me money is the main issue but at the same time even if I did have the money if I bought a product based on screenshots and a blurb there's still only a 50/50 chance I'll like it even if it looks like something I'll love. I've bought a lot of videos in the past where I thoroughly enjoyed some aspects of them but by the end there will have been something to make it a massive turn-off and feel like a waste of money.

TVGuy, I know that you have tags on each video to help identify the themes of them and that is always appreciated, especially as WHP, B2B, and IN2P don't feature this. I would love a feature like this on every site to help sort videos out to find the ones that you want, and with WHP, B2B, and IN2P having hundreds or even thousands of videos it becomes increasingly difficult to find what you're looking for.

I know this has been a bit of a long rant that probably hasn't given you the answer you were hoping for, but I wanted to give an in-depth into my thoughts about the business as it is today.

I'll say that whatever direction you want to go in you have to be dedicated and stick to that path. Too many changes will muddy the waters and confuse the consumer. Free videos are a great feature to have that allows the consumer to have their interest piqued but ultimately you need to offer them a reason to stay. Monthly memberships are the best value but for me I sign up to each site once a year, download all the videos I want, then cancel the membership until a year later and repeat the process. I'm sure this is a common practice for many others too.

Ultimately you need to find a method of not only attracting these customers but keeping them in. WHP has live webcams (which I know you've done too) which I enjoy as it's a very minimalist set-up. They have two halves with a break mid-way through, with the wetting half first and the desperation half second. The model can engage the audience in the chat, whilst there is a one or two camera set-up to have a bit of variety. Yes, it depends on the model on how successful the show is but there are always a lot of ideas thrown from the chat for the model and it's always an entertaining show. Sadly the schedule is currently once every three weeks so depending on when you sign up you either get one or two shows during the month. I know WHP used to have them fortnightly and even weekly in the very early days, and whilst I appreciate that cost and timing amongst other things has changed that it's still a viable option.

I guess the only decent bit of true advice I can give you (after this stupidly-long rant, sorry!  :tongue:) is to look at the competition and do something different, do it often, give it variety, and maybe schedule what kinds of videos you release. For example two videos a week, one desperation and one wetting, one in jeans and one in skirt/knickers, and so on. That would allow you to please everyone and provide a wide variety of content. As long as the models are engaging and entertaining and when the video is finished you're happy with it in yourself then that could be a good place to start from.

I hope this helps you out, and best of luck to you!  :lol:

From a business standpoint, I'd say your idea to limit the quantity of videos that are even available for free is good. That way, people who are watching for free will soon run out of videos that they have not seen and maybe decide to become a member so they can have access to more.

I've never actually visited your site, so I don't know how you have it set up, but you could offer tiny previews of your best/most popular content, and offer the full video for those particular previews at a price. Maybe it could pull more people in?

It seems there might have been a bit of confusion regarding my original question.  Though I do truly appreciate all the feedback and suggestions, I was mainly seeking community input regarding the idea of limiting the total number of free video views.  It seems as if no one had a strong objection to this, or would stop visiting HD Wetting if I implemented such a system, so that is what I did.

I would like to address the idea of using torrents to distribute the free videos, as this came up a couple times.  I don't want to do this.  The reason is I want for visitors to be able to click to watch a free video and have it play instantly in their browser- No downloading, no waiting, no having to figure out the proper video player.  I want things to be as easy as possible for all my users.

Another reason I don't want to use bit torrent for free video distribution is business related- I want, while watching the free videos, users to be able to have only a single click to sign up for a membership or browse the premium content.  One lesson that I have learned is the more steps I put between the free content and premium content, the fewer sign ups I get.  So having the free videos play on the website, without downloading, is important to me.

For me the main issue is a lack of funds more than anything (and I would presume for a number of us that would be a contributing factor too) but if budget wasn't an issue I'd say it boils down to the kind of content you produce.

First, let me say that you for such a long and detailed reply.  Even though this is starting to get off topic of my original question, I do appreciate the time you spent thinking about this and putting your thoughts down for me to read, and I would like to respond to all of your points.

In regards to the issue of lack of funds, this is something a common theme in feedback I have received from the very beginning.  Since I started HD Wetting I have got e-mails from people saying that they love my content, but it is just so expensive they can't afford it.  If I could just lower the price they would sign up and lots of others would sign up too.

I have tried this, multiple times.  Not once has lowering the price had any statistically significant impact on the rate of user sign up or user retention.  I'm not sure why this is, but despite trying various price points, no amount of lowering the price has ever resulted in a higher rate of sign ups.  Even when I tried a $5.00 trial membership.

My hypothesis is that there are people who are willing to pay for wetting videos, and people who aren't.  Yes, I accept this is a generalization and their are exceptions to this, but not enough to make a significant difference.  For those who are not willing to pay to watch wetting videos, it doesn't matter how cheap they are, they simply are not willing to do it.  

When it comes to people who are willing to pay, it seems they are not more or less likely to sign up unless it is so expensive it will have a negative impact on their lifestyle.  Asking people to pay about the same amount as a trip to the gas station, or taking a date out to a movie, doesn't seem unreasonable considering all that you are getting.

There are probably people who will strongly disagree with me here.  But for those people I ask this- How is it that I can cut the price in half for three months, and not have membership numbers or sign up rates go up at all if the cost is preventing people from signing up?

I've noticed particularly in the past 5 years how other content providers such as WettingHerPanties, Bound2Burst, and INeed2Pee have changed their style of videos, and in my opinion for the worst. Again, this boils down to personal preference in videos but the changes both of these producers have made have to their content is putting me off buying their products. WHP has reverted to boring videos where the premise is "here's a hot woman and she's peeing in her clothes and showing it off" and that's it for a large number of videos. B2B have, after reading many years ago of a promise to "never have thongs" have increasing used them as clothing whilst accentuating more nudity in their videos, another turn-off of mine! IN2P hasn't changed all that much but their videos always feature similar scenarios, just with different models in different clothes and for me it's very generic, much like WHP has become.

It seems to me that getting stuck in just one style of video is a mistake.  There are definitely people out there who are really into thongs, or nude peeing, or just wetting jeans, or whatever.  Unfortunately if I cater to just a specific segment of an already small market like that, I won't be able to attract enough users to stay in business.

What I try to do is provide a variety of different kinds of videos.  My hope is that, despite what your specific tastes are, I will have enough variety that people who are into wetting will be able to find plenty that they like.  I am not going to make promises that I will never do something, because I want to offer as much variety as possible.  The one thing I don't want to do is get stuck just doing the same thing over and over, so all the videos look the same.  This is extremely challenging, but it is the goal that I try to work towards with all the content we do on HD Wetting.

Another further problem is trying to please everyone. Like I said I have very specific preferences and whilst there are a lot of videos out there already that cater to my likes, you can only experience the thrill of watching a video once. You want to keep watching more. Again, for me money is the main issue but at the same time even if I did have the money if I bought a product based on screenshots and a blurb there's still only a 50/50 chance I'll like it even if it looks like something I'll love. I've bought a lot of videos in the past where I thoroughly enjoyed some aspects of them but by the end there will have been something to make it a massive turn-off and feel like a waste of money.

This is always a danger.  As you said everyone has different tastes.  Every HD Wetting shoot I do costs upwards of $1,000.  I can't afford to produce videos that just appeal to a single member.  Ultimately, I try to make videos that I enjoy watching.  Yes, I solicit input for ideas, but if I don't think something is a good idea or it doesn't appeal to me I'm not going to do it.  

It sounds like you have very specific tastes in your videos.  I do my best to write accurate descriptions of the videos that we offer and provide screen shots so that people can know what they are getting.  It is impossible to know what will suddenly be a turn off for someone though.  I would suggest that a membership would work best for you, that way even if you don't like a specific video, there will hopefully be other videos there that you will enjoy.

TVGuy, I know that you have tags on each video to help identify the themes of them and that is always appreciated, especially as WHP, B2B, and IN2P don't feature this. I would love a feature like this on every site to help sort videos out to find the ones that you want, and with WHP, B2B, and IN2P having hundreds or even thousands of videos it becomes increasingly difficult to find what you're looking for.

Like I said, I try to offer variety in the videos that I produce.  However, I understand that many people have very nuanced preferences in their wetting videos.  Therefor I think it is extremely important that I provide tools so people can find the specific kinds of videos they like to see.

I'll say that whatever direction you want to go in you have to be dedicated and stick to that path. Too many changes will muddy the waters and confuse the consumer. Free videos are a great feature to have that allows the consumer to have their interest piqued but ultimately you need to offer them a reason to stay. Monthly memberships are the best value but for me I sign up to each site once a year, download all the videos I want, then cancel the membership until a year later and repeat the process. I'm sure this is a common practice for many others too.

Ultimately you need to find a method of not only attracting these customers but keeping them in. WHP has live webcams (which I know you've done too) which I enjoy as it's a very minimalist set-up. They have two halves with a break mid-way through, with the wetting half first and the desperation half second. The model can engage the audience in the chat, whilst there is a one or two camera set-up to have a bit of variety. Yes, it depends on the model on how successful the show is but there are always a lot of ideas thrown from the chat for the model and it's always an entertaining show. Sadly the schedule is currently once every three weeks so depending on when you sign up you either get one or two shows during the month. I know WHP used to have them fortnightly and even weekly in the very early days, and whilst I appreciate that cost and timing amongst other things has changed that it's still a viable option.

While I agree with you that too many changes can be confusing and pushing people away, there is an equal danger of trying to stay the course when you are on a sinking ship.  Two of the biggest mistakes I ever made were trying to stay the course when I should of changed directions- Once when I was trying to introduce a lower price point to attract more members, and again when I tried offering live webcam chats.  Both of these almost destroyed the site.

Ultimately I am going to continue doing what I have always done with the site.  That is-

• Produce the best, most compelling wetting videos I can.
  • Seek out variety in all the content I produce.
  • Provide the best technical quality I am capable of.
  • Update the site frequently, on a regular basis, with new content.
  • Make the site as easy as possible to navigate, and provide instant gratification for members who want to watch videos (no waiting for downloads).

I don't have a problem with a limit to how many videos I can view a day, especially with your website where you tell us who is in the video and what happens. I'd hate it if I clicked a video, discovered it wasn't to my taste (Whether that's because of the models, the type of wetting etc) and waste a video view.

I think that it is totally reasonable to limit the number of free video views per day, you put out very high quality content and its not unreasonable that you put some restrictions on free content. As someone who views your free videos, adding a daily limit would not stop me from visiting in fact it would probably mean i end up visiting more haha. Whatever you do i hope it works out, you put out a lot of great content.