What Is Your Nationality?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

100% cockasian.

If you're comfortable sharing, feel free to post where you came from. I imagine we have a fairly diverse family here, and I thought it might be interesting to see :) ElSuave: German\Hungarian

30% German, 20% English, 6% Irish, 4% Native American, and 40% I think Finnish, but not sure on that, might be Swedish.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

* born Dutch

* lived in Israel for many years, consider myself Israeli as well - speak Hebrew fluently

* lived in UK for years, consider myself as having ties to UK as well

* ancestry: Dutch, German, Polish, French, further Eastern European (something with Ukraine and also something with Armenia I think) - both Jewish and not Jewish

Languages (in order of fluency): Dutch, English, Hebrew, German, Yiddish.

Religion: Jewish (currently not practicing, previously Orthodox, before that atheist)

I find the concept of nationality a bit ancient in Europe. I consider myself European. I feel at home in Germany, in Switzerland, in England, in Scotland, just like I feel at home in the Netherlands.

I find the concept of nationality a bit ancient in Europe.

Good point.

I am just boring 100% German.

What do you mean boring?

In that case I am 7/8 boring and 1/8 french. :D

What do you all think about making threads in different languages. The ones that are here the most often, like German, Spanish and so on. Or does this already exist?

I would like to see a german thread here. And AFAIK none exists yet.

From my point of view, I think one thread per language in the general discussion section could not hurt. Thoughts?

I would like to see a german thread here. And AFAIK none exists yet.

From my point of view, I think one thread per language in the general discussion section could not hurt. Thoughts?

Problem is with keeping an eye on things. This site is so amazing because Kirito keeps a close eye on everything. He doesn't know French, German, Dutch, and Spanish. (Actually I think Dutch is the biggest!).

Problem is with keeping an eye on things. This site is so amazing because Kirito keeps a close eye on everything. He doesn't know French, German, Dutch, and Spanish. (Actually I think Dutch is the biggest!).

I see that as the biggest problem. too.

On the one hand many people who are not comfortable enough to write in English could say something, too.

On the other hand everyone could write anything that is against the forum rules and noone could do anything.

Maybe there could be a contact person for Kirito who is speaking the relevant language?

Guest 66672744

I'm mainly English, one side of my family with ancestors from Scotland, the side of my family with ancestors from Ireland.

Parents were born and raised in England (as was I), so I'm not sure if that makes me 100% English, or mostly English with a tiny bit of Scottish and Irish in me?

If you and your parents are born in the same country, but your ancestors were born and lived in another country, then your nationality is that of the country you and your parents were born in and have been living in, is it not? But that rule doesn't seem to apply to professional sports players - e.g. players who were born in countries like Africa, Spain, Canada, all somehow qualifying to play for the England National Football team, so I've never really understood how that works. :huh:

Why not get some people, who know those languages, to be Kirito's eyes and ears (so to speak), that way they can offer any needed translations.

I mean let's face it... Google Translate isn't exactly the most reliable thing to use for translating anything these days.

For anyone interested in learning any new languages for FREE = https://www.duolingo.com/.

The issue concerning moderation has occured to me in the meantime as well. I guess that puts foreign language threads off-limits.

On the one hand many people who are not comfortable enough to write in English could say something, too.

Well, I suppose we can do something about that without creating threads. Also, I finally found a use for the signature feature of the forum. :lol:

I have started the Babel Fisherman campaign. Instead of being eyes and ears for Kirito, we can be mouths and typing fingers for those hindered by a language barrier and offer voluntary help for translations to anyone who needs it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...