• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I miss the original nick minaj :(

Posted Images

It's pretty amazing that Guilty Gear continued into a successful, popular series, my favorite fighting game series, because the original game is busted. Instant Kills that can be performed at any time, are difficult to counter in time, and instantly win both rounds. Infinite supers when below half health. Poor balancing, to the point that Sol has four infinites. And Justice. JUSTICE. I was angry at I-No's final boss powers, I had no idea what Justice could do. Sometimes she's just strong. Sometimes she'll spam her screen-nuke Gamma Ray below half health. Sometimes she'll just be vindictive and Instant Kill in the first round. It was only dozens of continues later that Ky Kiske emerged victorious over the Commander Gear.

kmdrK2F.jpg

I am currently practicing Sol's easiest infinite so I can beat the game again without continuing, to unlock Baiken.

Watched Senran Kagura: Ninja Flash, the first season of the Senran Kagura anime. After finishing Deep Crimson, it felt right. This was an early production, to the point that this anime adaptation of the first game was released outside Japan before the first game. That's why things can be weirdly wrong, like Dogen almost being a completely different character than he was in Deep Crimson. But, for the most part, it's close to Burst, in content and in tone. Some differences I can accept, gotta make it a 12 episode anime, that changes the events, but the tonal disparity irritates me. It's usually got that serious edge the game did, but then the narrator comes in and everything is a joke. I hate adaptations like this, where it's a good product that expands on the original, but it's not as good. But you have to watch it, because it's more of the good stuff, but it's mixed in with bad.

The one thing I can't complain about in the slightest is, as an early product, Daidouji is still perfectly in her original character, she gets plenty to do, it's great to see her treated well.

Bud1kDz.png

What's Mega Man X DiVE to do, when summer is coming up and they've already used up the swimsuit idea? Besides offering swimsuit variants of other characters (that idea's free, be sure to include Pallette this time)? Well, something else to give the players something to gawk at on the bodies of female Reploids. Wedding dresses? That'll do. Yep, wedding variants of Alia and Layer. You know, for a game that's purposefully drowned itself in female characters, it sure does fall back on Alia and Layer a lot. I guess they're the most "conventionally attractive" Mega Man characters (but my Aile love will never die), but they're not the only ones, yet they keep using them. It only bothers me so much because, to me, Alia and Layer are part of a set with Pallette, yet she usually doesn't share in the festivities.

I guess I'm not complaining too much. Alia is incredibly beautiful, and she's quite stunning in a wedding dress.

E3aO5ejUcAYi1jX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

That surprised no one. Netflix had said that, while their current Castlevania show had ended, they would be exploring doing more in the universe. So, they've already announced their intentions to continue with a new series, based on Rondo of Blood, just as I and many others predicted. The only shock is how quickly they've said anything.

Now, I've long since established my distaste for Netflix's Castlevania, not because it's an all-around terrible show (it can't be, when I'm the only person who doesn't like it), but because it has the potential to be amazing, and it shines through on several occasions, but they squander it on immature humor that's just disgraceful. Now, combine that with Rondo of Blood, my favorite Castlevania game and the one I'm most protective over? I'm cautiously optimistic. This is a new series, so they have the chance to change the tone. And they might have to, because Richter is established as being a really nice, wholesome guy, you can't make him another foul-mouth like Trevor. So, make the protagonists as nice as they're always depicted as, have Dracula as the only villain not there just to be defeated (I cannot stress this enough, NO GODBRAND OR EQUIVALENT) and keep him classy as they have, have the fight scenes be just as spectacular as they have been, we could finally have something good.

But, seeing how they treated what they've already had, which everyone loved and had no reason to change, there's also the chance it'll be the same garbage. Please, Netflix, give me this.

dXv5bVM.jpg

Suikoden IV cleared. It took me longer to be able to play it from purchase than it did to finish it.

I'm very vocal in my dislike for Suikoden III, so even though IV is often considered the worst of the mainline series, I felt it had little place to go but up. And...yes, it did. At a bare minimum, Suikoden IV is a better game than Suikoden III. It's a hell of a lot shorter, between the lengths of I and II for me, which was a common complaint, but I think 25 hours was a good length. Of course, part of the problem is that it'd be shorter without the game's padding. The random encounter rate is annoyingly high, overworld travel on the ship is painfully slow, put on a podcast or something when you have to sail somewhere new. I loved Viki even more than usual this time, because her teleportation is a godsend in a game like this, where travelling the seas is tedious and there's practically nothing else to find on the waters. Wind Waker this ain't.

I could complain more, like how party size is reduced from 6 to 4 (which is limiting, but really not a big deal), how most of the story details are hidden behind optional dialogue, how there's basically no dungeons, how Snowe is built up as an important character early on, but completely disappears from the plot for most of the game, and vanishes completely halfway through unless you get all 108 Stars (I missed four, waited to do all my cleanup until right after the one and only point of no return for recruitment, oops), there's things not to like. But, being able to play another Suikoden game that didn't require keeping an eye on a guide for literally every step for fear of being unprepared for every major fight, that didn't take 60 hours because it was just slow in every facet, that I enjoyed playing...after III, that was nice. It even did some things wonderfully right, like having a real retry system, finally fixed the inventory to just be a bottomless, universal inventory, and has the best production values to date.

So, what's next for my Suikoden adventure? Well, this game had a direct sequel with much the same cast, the only time that's happened, in Suikoden Tactics. But, much like the rest of the series, it's pretty expensive, only a reasonable price disc-only. Plus, it's a turn-based strategy game, and I don't like those, so I'm hesitant to even play it. Naturally, the next logical place to move would be Suikoden V, but that game is legitimately too rich for my blood. Eiyuden Chronicle won't be out until next year, at the earliest. I think my next stop will be the fan translation of Woven Web of a Century on the PSP that's supposed to release late this year. That's the last Suikoden game that needs to be translated into English (not counting specific ports for I and II, anything outside the PS1).

ydmgquk.jpg

And, because I now have to be on watch when I play to keep up my tradition, I've decided which character should be written about. Having a series with such large casts in each installment, I guess it had to happen eventually, picking one of the random recruits instead of someone story-relevant.

Read the details carefully, people. I've left Cyberbots alone for months, thinking that to unlock the final mech, I'd have to beat arcade mode on 5-star difficulty or higher, without continuing, with the Warlock VA (which is the boss character). I was planning to take the time to learn Warlock's moves so I could be cheap in order to win. It worked for Baiken in Guilty Gear: The Missing Link. Well, as I discovered while looking up a moveset guide, those conditions are only to fight Z-Gouki. Unlocking him only requires beating arcade mode with Warlock. Play on whatever difficulty, continue if you need to. So now I have every mech unlocked, and I can play as Akuma as a giant robot. If you say you wouldn't want that, you're lying.

Cyberbots is not a in-depth, technical, feature-filled fighting game, but I have a great time with it. It's on all modern consoles as part of the Capcom Arcade Stadium, but that's the arcade version. So it's in English, and it's obviously arcade perfect, but you're missing out on the console port exclusive features. Like long load times, missing frames of animation (unless you've got the Saturn version with RAM expansion cartridge), and more playable characters. Devilotte is the most prominent thing Cyberbots has contributed to gaming as a whole, easily the most popular character on the roster, and she's adorable. And she's only playable on the PS1 and Saturn.

iuGhYfM.jpg

Continuing on with Capcom fighters, I've beaten the arcade mode of Darkstalkers 3, using Morrigan. I bought Darkstalkers at the same time as Cyberbots, but there was something about Darkstalkers' fighting that I found stiff and limiting. It definitely lacks the dashing and subsequent jump-ins that get used so heavily in Guilty Gear, that's really the biggest hurdle. I will say that it feels better with the speed turned up, I had it at 4-stars with the character also set to turbo, but it's definitely not a game I'm going to get real into.

It's a shame, because Hsien-Ko is absolutely adorable and I want to see her more.

JAMtcBW.jpg