• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I miss the original nick minaj :(

Posted Images

Finished Monster World IV. In the confusing lineage of the Wonder Boy/Monster World series, this was the only entry that did not see release outside Japan in its day, but it thankfully received an official translation much later and appeared on digital storefronts, and the Genesis Mini. The Monster World games are side-scrolling action adventure games, and from what I've played so far, I've enjoyed them. Monster World IV looks nice, colorful and well-animated, the stages are a healthy challenge with only a bit of annoyance, the bosses have frenzied attacks but visible patterns, it's not very long, there's no need for grinding, it's a good time.

Great time? Well, that's more iffy. Areas go on for a long time with limited opportunities to save (now that the Wii Virtual Console version is no longer accessible, any English version has access to save states, use those wisely), equipment management is limited in that you can only hold one of each equipment slot at a time with stat upgrades slowing only halfway through, some of the puzzles and navigation are pretty ridiculous (one of the dungeons is about finding codes to get through doors, the red code is given, the blue code is only partially given, the white code's only hint is "four bugs", and the black code is an inverted white code. Everything else is guesswork), very few enemies drop health, I still consider the remake of The Dragon's Trap to be the superior game. A lot of people would also point to the recent Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, but for whatever reason, I only barely tolerated that game by the time I put it down.

Regardless of its faults (some of which are just kind of normal for the Genesis era it hails from), I heartily recommend Monster World IV. It's cheap to download on PSN or XBLA, you might already have it on a Genesis Mini, I liked it a lot. You Shantae fans especially, get on it, because while I've found no confirmation, I'm sure Shantae was inspired by Monster World. I suspected as much when I played The Dragon's Trap, because it feels like a rudimentary Shantae game with its open world, dungeon based progression and animal transformations, but Monster World IV fills in the final gap with aesthetic, an Arabian inspired world starring a female protagonist with a ponytail and a penchant for booty shaking. Combine the two games, and it's Shantae.

Asha's plenty cute on her own merits, though.

wByInlU.png

So, what do you think would happen if the water environment of the Stream Sanctuary got Asha feeling desperate, too embarrassed to squat around her Pepelegoo, too embarrassed to ask the genie to go back to town? Do you think she'd save time by not making another trip to the fountain to fill her bucket with "water"?

y4zYfw2.png

He's way too obscure to be a pick when his more famous/fills the same role/less OP mother is right there for the taking, but I want Mothra Leo to make a comeback. I want him and Mothra to exist at the same time so Mothra can be a loving mother. I want a Godzilla on friendly terms with Mothra to have no idea how to take care of this kid.

I didn't realize how bad it was until now, but The Lego Movie 2 tanked hard at the box office. As in, all future movies in this Lego universe were cancelled and Warner Bros gave up the Lego license. That's really depressing, because I just watched The Lego Movie 2 again and it's fantastic. Almost as good as the original, one of my favorite movies ever. I'm glad Lord and Miller can still get great work outside these movies (Spiderverse, of course), but I want more Lego. It's uniquely fantastic and there's still plenty great that can be done.

884.gif

What's worse? Yesterday's announcement that Smash Bros would be getting its eighth Fire Emblem character, or today's announcement that Dragon Ball FighterZ will be getting another Goku, after the game already includes 5 and a half (Base, Super Saiyan, Blue, GT, with Black, Vegito, and Gogeta each counting as a half)? Yep, Ultra Instinct Goku will be coming, presumably as the start of Season 3. I actually like Ultra Instinct, so it's worth getting excited over...except it's almost certainly going to be Mastered Ultra Instinct, instead of the much more balanced and visually striking Ultra Instinct Omen.

DrtVur1VsAI63iR?format=jpg&name=large

S0jQGsz.jpg

Some Azura from The Alliance Alive, because I started streaming the HD Remastered last night, and discovered for the first time, live, that certain attack animations (Hard Knock with the staff, the basic move for one of her starting weapons is a great place to check) flip up her skirt, much like Vivian. She wears white panties, for anyone who wants to know.

Now that I know it's possible with more of the characters, I'll be sure to test it with the other female characters. Obviously, I won't find anything with Tiggy, being in Swan Song all the time, but there's a chance we can make a good discovery with Rachel and Matilda.