Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Your Anti-Zombie Weapon

The concept is simple, you tell everyone what weapon you would use in a Zombie pandemic.

However, there are three rules attached to this:

- First, you must tell everyone why that weapon in particular.

- Secondly, you must ACTUALLY OWN the weapon of choice.

- Thirdly, you must explain why on Earth you own that item.

I'll start first.

My Archer's sword, which is a replica of a Medieval arming sword (meaning single-hand), it has a lot of close combat features to it. It is double edged, good for "short edge" strikes. It has quillions, good for improved parrying and manipulation for close-play like takedowns. It has a cutting edge and a point for stabbing, giving me more options. It is also very durable, as it is made of real steel and not crappy stainless steel.

I obtained it because basically I wanted a sword for my 18th birthday, and my auntie had actually gone up to Scotland to buy me one, I was training in archery at the time, so at the shop she asked for a "bowman's sword" and the guy who ran the place, John Barnett showed her the sword that best matched her description. Needless to say, it was THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER.

First off, I would never have just one. I'd have a main, a personal backup, and some extras for other survivors.

The main is a crowbar in my toolbox - it can be used to stab, bludgeon, and gouge with the hooked end. It can also be used to force doors, open crates, and I suppose slide down ziplines in the absence of anything better.

Backup would be the axe I use to chop firewood - while I haven't tested it I'm sure it can at least disable if not outright sever limbs, and certainly get through a skull to destroy the brain. Even better at breaking down barricades and fortifications than the crowbar. It's only real drawback is the axe head makes it heavy, and that means slow compared to the crowbar.

Extras include kitchen knives, heavy wrenches, sports equipment, gardening tools, and whatever else I can find.

My scimitar, because it is a very trusted weapon. In combat, it is to be as a part of my body, and as a woman on Scarlet Blade once said... "Your first weapon will be automatically equipped. Make sure you familiarize yourself with it, become intimate with it. Stroke it, love it. Give it a pet name. Put in the time to do right by it, or it won't do right by you."

{ Just rest assured that I am not intimate with my sword, nor does it have a pet name. }

Bottom line is, I trust it.

I own it because it is an important thing. A friend of mine owned it, and gifted it to me a month prior to his death in 2008. Learning to use it and keeping it in my care is my best way of honoring his name. It is a beautiful thing, a work of art to be sure. And if it came down to it, I would use it to save my own life. Orikal would want me to put it to good use anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

You own a scimitar...

Do you by any chance come from the Orient?

I don't know a single person from the Occident who owns one.

Not sure what you mean by 'Orient' and 'Occident'. Unless I'm making a blunder of my own Cardassian race here...

...But in all seriousness...

I'd otherwise use my... Lead or whatever pole. It's nearly the same height as my shoulders from the ground. It is incredibly heavy, and I doubt it would break easily. It didn't fulfill its purpose so I took it in and learned how to use it. Although I am a bit rusty and could learn the weight again while practicing with it at some point in the future, it's a great thing to use. Besides, going fast enough, it will run any zombie through - Painfully.

Not sure what you mean by 'Orient' and 'Occident'. Unless I'm making a blunder of my own Cardassian race here...

...But in all seriousness...

I'd otherwise use my... Lead or whatever pole. It's nearly the same height as my shoulders from the ground. It is incredibly heavy, and I doubt it would break easily. It didn't fulfill its purpose so I took it in and learned how to use it. Although I am a bit rusty and could learn the weight again while practicing with it at some point in the future, it's a great thing to use. Besides, going fast enough, it will run any zombie through - Painfully.

The Occident is the west (Europe mostly, maybe the Americas) while the orient is the east (the Middel east, Asia, etc).

By training are you actually trained in close combat (by a skilled trainer)? I remember swinging my Archer's sword around for a year and coming to sword club to realise I still knew absolutely NOTHING.

Find a club somewhere, they're fun, educational and improve your physique!

• 6 years later...