Sign In

Funny and untrue things that you thought as a kid

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What things did you believe as a kid or early life that you now know to be hilariously false?   I used to think you could just write a check, take it to any bank and get free money.   Banned posts

I used to think that much like film and television, everything was in black and white until the 60s. Like, I would picture my parents' childhoods and they weren't in color. I honestly still do sometim

I read that as "a little green man" and imagined a radio show being hosted by a leprechaun.

I thought, very early on, that gravity functioned perpendicular to a euclidean plane in space and that there was a whole other side of the globe that was uninhabitable because people and objects would fall off into space. Granted, I didn't use those terms to describe my idea - at that age, I couldn't have pronounced "euclidean". I drew up this elaborate system of suction cups, scaffolding, hot air balloons and hang gliders to allow colonizing of the underside of earth. Well, elaborate for a four year old.

My parents set me straight when I tried to explain the idea. Could have done without the hysterical laughter, though.

I used to believe there were these mysterious spirits living in the curtains of my bedroom windows, and sometimes I had to hide because I thought they were going to kill me.

I think I got the idea from when my mother had the windows open when I was taking a nap and they were moving around and making weird noises in the wind.

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing with toy trucks under a maple tree during what I now know was a partial solar eclipse,

one afternoon when I was 5 or 6. I ran back to the house to tell my mom that there were moons

under the "driveway tree".  She was not as interested in this as I was.

What I was seeing was a pinhole camera effect  on all the small sunbeams that penetrated the foliage.

... Maybe a long winded way of saying I thought there were moons under a tree ...

• 2 weeks later...

-The Space Race was a literal race between space ships.

I never thought that, but I always thought it would have been better if it was. Might have helped with funding research. It could have ended up like NASCAR with sponsors and everything. We could have had a base on the moon by the time 2001 A Space Odyssey predicted with that kind of money going into R&D.

Only downside is we'd end up naming bases after sponsors. Coca Cola Observatory, Goodyear Lunar Seismology Center, and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

I believed (when I was VERY young) that 1 + 1 = 11.

I believed that the tooth fairy was real and that she/it didn't give me enough money for what were essentially body parts.

I believed that Sata Claus had actually given me that letter that was made in Microsoft Word.

I believed I would grow up to be a train driver, because steam trains were an obsession of mine at the time.

I believed that the sun was "too big to be a star".

I used to wonder how people ever parked their cars if they had a stick shift...

My parents always drove automatics so my knowledge of stick shifts was purely theoretical at that point... I understood most of it, but still thought that if you were in a car, ANY car, you HAD to put it in park!

I would try to mentally picture a manual with a 1, 2, 3, and so on, but I couldn't figure out where the P for park would go... It would drive me crazy, but I never thought to ask my parents about it...

Hah! Anything but a manual ("stick-shift") would seem like some foreign space-car-nonsense during my childhood. Even today, Britain uses manual cars almost exclusively.

Apart from the ones I posted earlier, I of course though that women were biologically the same as men besides breasts, and that stuff like "sitting down to pee" was them being weak and unmanly.

I also used to think that beards were for much older and wiser people, of course I was right in thinking that stroking your beard gives a surge of wisdom, and it is a very useful feature.

My dad told me that he used to think that movie bad guys were ACTUALLY KILLED, and they were criminals that had TV appearance as their punishment. That sounds like the sort of idea Oliver Cromwell would come up with!!! :lol: