Sign in to follow this  

[READ ME] Or risk getting BANNED

So the thread title got your attention, did it? Good.

Welcome to the debate zone! If you're not shy to internet forums, you probably know most forums that sponsor a debate section have some restricted topics that are just too touchy to allow. So let's just get that out of the way, here is our list of banned debate topics:

•  

No, that's not a posting error. I get messages from people about this a lot, people have frequently asked why I allow debates on touchy subjects such as politics and religion to continue in the forums off-topic section.

Why shouldn't I? Because they're touchy subjects? Because some people get offended by religious debates? Because political debates always turn into flame wars?

Those things may be true for the generic forum. However, on a forum where the targeted audience is people who enjoy peeing themselves, wearing diapers, watching others wet and people who have a stash of perverted anime games hidden somewhere on their hard drive, I'd hope the community here is far more capable of being open minded.

I do not believe in banning topics just because they're "touchy." That is not progressive. We can't all hide ourselves from the touchy issues in today's society. This forum was created for rational open minded individuals. I expect you to be nothing less.

So now onto the important stuff.

Debate Zone Rules and Guidelines

• Blatant personal attacks will not be tolerated. No exaggeration on this should be necessary. I don't care how heated a debate gets, if you can't control yourself and have to resort to using personal attacks just to make you feel better about yourself, you will lose your posting privileges here. Severe grade offenses will get your account banned.
  • Do not post in this forum if you are not ready to have your beliefs and views rigorously questioned by others. This is not a forum for the faint of heart.
  • This is a forum founded and governed on Freethought principles. That is, your posts should be formed on the basis of logic, reason and empiricism, rather than any form of authority, tradition or other dogmas.
  • If you find someone that you are sure is violating the rules and guidelines listed here (eg. someone that is posting direct insults to another member), report and ignore the post, do not respond to it. Do not fuel a flame war.
  • Most importantly, please remember that this is a forum for civil debates. We all have our own views and opinions on different things. We do not have to agree with one another on everything, but we should all strive to learn and be able to question everything we think we know.

Kirito, I hope I'm not overstating my bounds, but for anyone that isn't quite sure what isn't allowed in a logical debate, then you should probably look here. Though this is Wikipedia, this does list a lot of fallacies, some more severe than others. You should avoid using any of these in your arguments. They will make your arguments poor, and quite annoying to deal with. This is another source you can use to see just quick references on the most common and egregious fallacies. Please take a minute to at least go over them. This right here will be a good source on learning how to avoid them and correct them. 

One thing about debates is that you are probably going to need to site your facts at some point. You should think very hard about where you are going to get these sources. Wikipedia is a great source for a starting point, but it isn't going to be a great primary source for your arguments, especially the more you get towards science. One thing you should do is look at the sources on Wikipedia; these will be an excellent spring board to launch your arguments. The best places you can get sources are from government websites, academic journals, encyclopedias, primary sources, etc. This*, and this*, here will give you some idea on what to use to classify what will be a good source to use in your arguments.Most of the time you should avoid using things like blogs, forum posts, etc. Finding strong sources to back up your arguments will make the arguments themselves even stronger, and make it harder for people to disprove what you are saying. The art of citation isn't easy, but it can be learned with practice.

The last thing: please take time to formulate your arguments. Putting little time into your arguments will make them quite poor. Don't just write a response and immediately post it. Please take your time to reread it and edit it thoroughly. Posts made in haste will often turn out to be poor and nonsensical. Take care in your posts and formulate them properly. The one thing you should never do is post immediately when you are angry. This will almost always end poorly for you and everyone else in the thread. If something upset you, take a couple of hours to cool off and then respond in a civil and logical manner. Perhaps the most egregious thing to do is edit your post to make yourself not sound as bad, or make some else sound bad. I'm sure I don't need to tell you why this is wrong and not allowed, plus, I'm sure Kirito will more than amply punish you for doing that. If you are going to edit your post within the allotted time given to you for your member rank, it is very important to leave and edit note saying what you have changed, even if it is just to fix some grammar and spelling mistakes. This helps stop confusion as to what you actually changed and can help keep discussion on track.

If there's anything else you would like me to suggest, please feel free.

*NOTE: this might not be 100% applicable to this, but I feel like it gives you a good idea and basis, and that you can use your own personal judgment to determine which of these are relevant to this.

Here's another source for much of the same information from Wikipedia, with links to a multitude of media examples.

Just remember to bring a compass in case you get lost. Which is almost frighteningly easy.

Very fair.

I like how no topic is banned, so that logical discussion and discourse can persuade people into a way of thinking instead of simply punishing people for wanting to hear both sides of an argument. Rhetoric at its very best!

Sign in to follow this