Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Falling asleep with a full bladder?

I can't get to sleep even if I only slightly need to go.

It almost feels like it's a paranoia developed from bedwetting troubles when I was a kid. My mind won't let me go to sleep if I have any noticeable urge to use the bathroom, no matter how hard I try.

I'm sure this is probably a pretty common thing though.

Yeah, I have trouble sleeping if I need to go at all too, and generally go before bed, even though I've never wet the bed in my life (somehow, despite often sleeping 12+ hours without waking up at all during that time).  I can still sleep anyway if I'm tired enough to just flop down and pass out, but generally it'll just end up keeping me awake.

I usually go to the bathroom before going to bed, but, sometimes, I go to bed with a near full bladder. It can take me a little longer to fall asleep like that, but, sometimes, I want to wet the bed on accident yet on purpose too sort of. It usually causes me to have to wake up extremely early or just a couple hours after I fall asleep and not be able to fall back asleep until I go. It actually kinda surprises that I'm able to hold like that in my sleep, even though I don't really want to hold, considering my history with real bedwetting.

It actually kinda surprises that I'm able to hold like that in my sleep, even though I don't really want to hold, considering my history with real bedwetting.

THIS! I have never wet the bed… even though I have gone to sleep many times with a full bladder. I always wondered if there was like… a reflex or something in there or something that's making it impossible for me to go in my sleep. It's weird...

I have never in my life wet the bed, and yet I still can't get to sleep if I didn't just pee. It is a paranoia for me-- even though I never wet the bed (supposedly even as a baby, I never went in my diaper while asleep), I've always been afraid that if I were to go to bed with a non-empty bladder that it would happen.

Edited by Gadwin (see edit history)

When I was a child, my siblings and I were punished if we got up to go to the bathroom, after we were put to bed. Our parents saw this as procrastinating going to bed. So this may sound silly since I will turn 61 in a few weeks; but to this day I absolutely cannot go to sleep unless I am sure my bladder is completely empty. Here is the silly part. Once I have peed, (what our parents used to call our finals) I must go directly to bed. If I am detoured or delayed for any reason, I have to try and empty again, even if it is only a few drops. Even if I stand up for a second after lying down, I feel like I have to pee. I have tried but I simply cannot relax to sleep if I don’t. I know I am being foolish, especially since I enjoy holding my pee, and waking up with a very full bladder, but at this point it is not worth the lost sleep to fight it.

I do think it's just the discomfort that makes it hard to relax and get to sleep, coupled with the fact that most people are taught to pee before bed.

Interestingly, there was one way I had been told to get around this fact and it did wake me up several hours early with a burstingly aching bladder; go pee as usual, then chug something (I drank about a liter worth of sports drink) and then go right to bed. You fall asleep because you're not full and uncomfortable yet, but you wake up extremely full. I do suspect that most people will actually wake up from this; alcohol seems to be the only reliable way to make an adult wet their bed. (Something I have seen happen before, by the way.)

Interestingly, there was one way I had been told to get around this fact and it did wake me up several hours early with a burstingly aching bladder; go pee as usual, then chug something (I drank about a liter worth of sports drink) and then go right to bed. You fall asleep because you're not full and uncomfortable yet, but you wake up extremely full. I do suspect that most people will actually wake up from this; alcohol seems to be the only reliable way to make an adult wet their bed. (Something I have seen happen before, by the way.)

I've actually kind of been interested to try something sorta along these lines...since I sleep so soundly I usually wake up bursting, but find the painless sort of desperation (from also waking up really dehydrated) nowhere near as enjoyable.  I have a lot of trouble falling asleep if my stomach isn't mostly empty though, for some reason...wonder if there's another way to do this that doesn't involve having to chug a lot at once?

I actually have no problem with this. I've always had a pretty strong bladder, and when I was a kid I used to wake up whenever I had to go too badly, so I never once wet the bed. I think it's that security in knowing I'll still be full when I wake up that allows me to fall asleep with a full bladder. Also, I look forward to waking up really desperate and pushing my hand into my bladder as I... you know. ;)

I usually pee before going to bed, but I often drink a bottle of water before going to sleep. Most of the times I will wake up needing to pee pretty bad and sometimes I get up and go and other times I just go back to sleep. Occasionally I will wake up damp and once in awhile I will have a pee dream and wake up in mid pee, usually with my underwear wet and a wet spot on the bed. Never had this happen when I was a child, but from my twenties on it seems to be every couple of months and occasionally once or twice a week.