Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Online Dating Discussion Thread

I was actually thinking if omo.org should have a separate page/topic destined to post the contact details of people who would like to take regular chats a bit further (voice chat, webcaming, maybe even real life meeting)!.

Yeah, try requesting this and see how long it takes before someone gets banned

First I'll just mention online dating will never officially occur here, as per site rules. Unofficially, people are perfectly allowed to date, but everyone involved needs to consent, and realise this isn't the point of the website.

End of the day, don't be a douche and request RL info, if you and someone else like each other and discover you're able to date, go for it, but we can't help if you take it off-site.

ANYWAY.

I find online dating to be like window shopping in a very expensive shopping centre, while being completely broke and the only reason you're there in the first place is because you just happened to walk in for some cool air since there are no A/C machines outside, not that the government would put any outside anyway, the cheap bastards, honestly I have no idea where our tax money goes, it probably funds nice new chairs for people in office or something, at least people in chair companies are getting more money though, because those guys really do need a brake, anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, online dating.

It sucks. Seriously.

From my experience, dating online is life showing you all these AMAZING, WONDERFUL PEOPLE, that live SOMEWHERE ELSE, and have COMPLETELY INCOMPATIBLE LIVES, that you would JUST LOVE TO LIVE WITH, but CAN'T BECAUSE FUCK YOU.

At least my extremely awkward attempts at dating in real life have a chance. Trying it online will, at most, lead to me and another person sending love messages each day, which is not a real relationship.

Also, it's incredibly frustrating for myself when I hear all the stories of people meeting online and just happening to be close geographically, and end up meeting and living great lives together because they're so compatible.

Happens rarely, it's awesome when it does, but life NEVER throws you a bone.

Well, this turned negative really quickly, I must do something to liven the mood, I can't be seen being this depressed.

http://1d4chan.org/images/8/83/StrikeWitches-YoshikaLynneShirley-Mach1Aftermath.gif

THERE WE GO :D

BEATS ONLINE DATING EVERY TIME

^Best post ever. Just saying.

There's obviously a significant degree of success in this business, otherwise online dating sites would not have been up for this long nor would they be very popular. But as Ronyo said "Life never throws you a bone." Nor should you expect it to. 99 times out of 100, you will be sorely disappointed.

And just because ONE person had a good experience with online dating does not guarantee that I will meet some amazing person over the net and we will live happily ever after.

I've mentioned it to other people, but several important aspects of communication are lost over the web, such as tone of voice, body language, eye contact, and physical intimacy. "I tried having sex with someone over Skype one time, but my **** wouldn't go through the screen." O_o

Sure, then you go meet them IRL and hopefully cover all those, but that means I've had to work twice as hard to discover I may or may not be a match with this person. Allowing a friendship to grow into a romance (despite its cliches) is a far more effective method of ensuring you will be truly happy with someone.

I've mentioned it to other people, but several important aspects of communication are lost over the web, such as tone of voice, body language, eye contact, and physical intimacy. I tried having sex with someone over Skype one time, but my **** wouldn't go through the screen. O_o

What the...I don't even know what to say to this

It seems my post caused quite a stir.

Just a few clarifications:

1. I have read the forum's rules and even the wiki page everybody was so eagerly quoting, that is why I haven't asked anybody for their contact details and that is also why I haven't posted a topic myself named "share your skype info here"; it was just a suggestion, and Shu will be the one to post it if he changes his mind on this aspect

2.I like to see this website as a democratic country, not as a dictatorship... So Shu might be the president (and he actually can do whatever he wants with this site if he so wishes), but there are citizens on this board (who basically also make it work as it does) who also have a word to say; some of these members even contributed with their funds...

I do consider feedback from members, but this site is not a democracy. I've jokingly stated that this site is a benevolent dictatorship many times before, but it's essentially the truth.

I understand your views and understand you have no malicious intent, but I also have no intentions on negotiating or revising this policy.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

most of my life relationships have been online, people in my area never liked me ( for what reason idk, I was the quiet one) and I could never find any guy that was interested in me, I had one real two year relationship with a guy in highschool but he ended up just abusing me and the new girl he is with he cheated on her with me (anyway) I like the idea of meeting new people that u dont see everyday in your area that are clearly not interested in you. Im currently in an online relationship and we are meeting in a few months, and he is the first guy where I can be myself around and chat about stuff we both like (which is almost everything) im the happiest I have ever been, I personally find online dating a way for someone to find someone to love and figure out who they are without getting first impressions by someone who doesn't like them.

• 6 months later...