Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Worst Job In History of Human Kind?

Can you name the worst job ever? I can! It's the cashier! Why? Cause I've been working as a cashier at a local gas station for months and right now I'm at the point where I really REALLY hate people! Seriously! When something is wrong - the cashier is the customers punching bag! When I first started this job, customers were 'suprised' to how 'polite' I was towards them. My first reaction : 'WTF? Why? Isn't this what we get paid for?'. Customers reply : 'You never see cashiers this polite anymore'. Then I was like : 'Well, okay! Have a great day... still wonder why?'. As time went on I discovered WHY! Why? CAUSE NOBODY HAS THE PATIENCE TO DEAL WITH ALL THEIR F*CKING BULLSHIT that's why! Like I said before, if the customer is "taking a pee" or whatever... he/she takes it all out on the cashier!

(NOTE : 'Taking a pee' as in expression of her/his anger on someone not as in literally wetting on the person. Not to be confused). If something is not right it's the ALWAYS the cashier who gets shout at! Here is an example : customer slipped and ripped his pants, blames cashier for slippery floor, demands claim. WTF? Is it really his fault you were wearing sandals instead of normal shoes with friction? It's f*cking winter for goodness sake! For some time I was still trying to be 'polite' to the customer but he just walks all over you like a carpet, talks like he owns the place :customers always right! Bullshit! I HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH THIS!

And don't get me started on the customer who don't know how to fuel up!

And customers who are drunk/or on drugs and have nothing better do!

...over maybe I am over reacting here? Is there anyone else who thinks they have the worst job ever?

*clears voice* working at walmart is the worst job ever. in fact working at the fitting room is even worse than that. at this point i would rather be the custodian worker. at least they can generally work without having people breathe down their neck every few mins and being cursed out over the phone and by customers within the store. *inhales deeply, slows down heart rate*

*Someone who's applying to be a cashier at multiple locations.*

Yeah...people are going to blame the first person in front of them. Most of them don't realize (or more commonly, don't care), that the cashier has nothing to do with anything, and god forbid anyone is going to blame themselves.

I really hate people too, but in a job that involves customer service, I know that I have to be prepared for that kind of crap. I tend to assume that most people are either stupid or jerks.

The worst job in the world has got to be working for my old boss, who had replaced an awesome boss I'd worked happily for the last five and a half years. The first time I saw her, the new boss, I told my co-workers to "get used to this" and bent over and grabbed my ankles and cried "No Ma'am! Don't hurt me!" We all had a laugh about it, but no one was laughing after the board of directors hired her. She was a total power freak. I couldn't believe the stuff she forced upon us. She came on the scene and treated us all like we were criminals or morons who had just been told "this is a financial institution" when we'd been working there for years and years. She had a special hatred for me because my "lips don't move when talk" (she was mostly deaf and wore a hearing aid, but could read lips). She thought I was doing it deliberately to mock her, even though I explained to her I had no control over it due to nerve damage from a surgery I'd had as a young teen, she continued to think I was doing it on purpose, like a ventriloquist. She also hated me because I'm in no way a yesman, if something sounds like bullshit to me, I'll call it out, right away. i drove her nuts in that regard, because everything she came up with was bullshit as far as I was concerned. She forced us to work through our breaks and unpaid lunches, wouldn't even let us use the bathroom sometimes. She cut everyone's hours, and gave herself a salary which was at least a third more than what the previous CEO was making. She also tripled everyone's workload, adding the most inane, pointless tasks, just so we couldn't get it all done and she's have a reason to write us up. Four of my coworkers quit shortly upon her arrival. She frequently forced me to clean her office while she got on the phone with merchants and bitched them out, a smug sneer on her face. She had no appreciation for anything anyone did, but we were expected to be grateful to her just to have a job. When she fired me for "not being a good fit", I was so relieved it felt like a huge abcess had popped. She fought my unemployment, of course, but we went to court and I won, despite the nearly 8-inch thick stack of papers she claimed was evidence of my incompetence and deliberate disobediance, she couldn't prove a damn thing.

Hard to top naughty_lucy's story. I find in general it's not necessarily the working conditions that make a job unbearable, but the people you have to work with, and the reverse is also true. Long ago I worked in shipping and receiving (not saying what company, sorry), and I was surrounded by decent people, but the actual job conditions reflected the disconnection between what management thought was going on and the actual state of affairs. I didn't mind moving the heavy stuff or working with antiquated equipment, and my "boss" - the guy directly above me in the chain of command - was a stand up fellow, but just seeing the place go the way of Dilbert was actually kind of soul crushing in its own way.

I left that place for a string of jobs that paid less than half what I had been making on an hourly basis, with no benefits. I have not regretted it once.

• 8 years later...

@GaijinJohn

"Suicide bomber. There's no pension plan and no long-term employment prospects."

Yeah but think of all the virgins you're going to get in the afterlife!

My job is pretty good except for the lack of bathrooms, so it's far from the worst job in the world, but jobs where you don't have regular access to a bathroom are certainly frustrating, and I found this old thread while looking up my other thread about worst jobs for women needing to pee. Any outdoor job is pretty frustrating if you are a woman who likes peeing regularly in total privacy.

• 4 months later...

Not positive if it would count as a "job", but I don't think you could get much worse than any form of slavery (Which Sonderkommando as mentioned above would fall under). Being captured and forced into something against your will, being abused and possibly killed, either never seeing your family again or being made to watch them go through the same thing. If that doesn't count, then probably Gong-Farmer (the person that had to dig all the crap out of medieval toilets) Only allowed to work through the night, had to live in specified areas, sometimes were asphyxiated by the... 'fumes', and had to sort of wade through the contents of the toilets, back in the days when bathing wasn't even an every day activity.