Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Why are womens restroom line THAT MUCH longer than guys?

1 hour ago, mirtdesp said:

So i think its basic math, but its impacted by other things.  more clothes, the occasional 15 second touch of makeup.  (15 seconds not a big deal right?  well times 50 people it is), the kids mentioned, etc.

Considering all mammals take on average 21 seconds to pee (https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34278595) I think 15 seconds is a huge deal. It's over 70% of the time an average persons needs to actually pee.

1 hour ago, mirtdesp said:

Also its also worth mentioning flushing a toilet will ALWAYS take longer than flushing a urinal.

How is the time it takes to flush relevant? You can ge fixing your clothes etc. while the toilet flushes, can't you? So this time shouldn't be added to the time a person takes inside a restroom.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to admit even as a person who has perhaps spent more time on wondering this question perhaps than anybody on the planet I still can't understand why it takes so much exponentially longer. Even

@Skinny Twink "I tend to agree @DesperateJill. Planners likely already know the factors that influence this and that there will likely be lines during active time periods. It all comes down to mo

@GotaSecret "Yeah, it probably isn't a big enough problem to throw a lot of money on. I don't know if it's a huge difference between where I live (Scandinavia) and US or other places, but the las

Posted Images

To be clear here up front, I am not trying to argue other problems, including there just being too few facilities for women, shouldn't be solved too. That being said 'though, there seems to be some concensus this problem is the result of many small factors and that made me wonder, how much of a difference would it make if just those factors women can influence themselves would be changed?

What if women would stop checking their make up and chatting in bathrooms and started just getting right out after doing their business? What if women stopped going to the bathroom just because somebody else needs to go? What if women would stop wearing clothing that can't easily be taken off quickly? What if they stopped carrying around handbags? What if women would leave taking their male children to the bathroom to their partners when both are present? What if women stopped - even sometimes, after having to wait - taking their sweet time in a stall? What if women just sat down and avoided making a mess that forces others to squat?

How much of a difference would this make? Would it lower the chances of women having to wait in line enough to make women start skipping bathrooms when there is a line and go looking for another opportunity in stead? How much more would this help? How many more toilets for women would still be needed if you eliminated all these factors for which there are relatively easy solutions?

Edited by ola93 (see edit history)

And what about the other way around? How much of a difference would it make if there would just be more stalls for women, compensating for the urinals counted for men, time needed to deal with menstruation and (pregnant) women having to pee more frequently and time needed to sit down and stand back up again? How much of a difference would that make?

As a pee-shy guy when people are nearby, I take like 3-5 minutes to get going and then have a slow stream that takes over a minute, sometimes multiple times. Luckily I'm not a women, because they would hate me for blocking bathrooms for ages. A lack of clean stalls makes a bathroom completely unusuable for me. 😅

What I noticed with female friends is that women pee generally much faster than males. It's not a stream that slowly starts and slowly stops, even when they're not bursting it's often just a short massive splash lol. Then the take much longer to clean up, change their hygiene products, check make up and hair etc, but their peeing is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than my male companions.

I'm actually quite surprised about the 15-21 seconds above... After 15 seconds I'm like 25% done or still in the process of relaxing my muscles. 😳

8 hours ago, Vapordrops said:

The napkin thing though! It’s so true lmfao. I mean, I guess I don’t blame women for doing that. (Cause toilet seats can be pretty unhygienic). But the not flushing is probably for “hygienic” reasons as well. Some women just don’t wanna touch the flushing handle. Which I get but it just sucks for the next person waiting in line. 

Id just wrap some tissue around my hand and touch the handle to flush it. Ive legit snapped at women for this because sometimes ive seen families and their kids are clearly bursting to go but no one will just flush the toilet. At that point it’s ridiculous. Its a bathroom, even the one in our own home isnt 100% clean all the time unless you are ocd or something, but even then, germs. 

It's already been mentioned that there are slightly more women than men, but what matters more is that due to the gender difference in life expectancy, there are significantly more elderly women than elderly men, and the elderly (of either sex) need to go more often thanks to less bladder elasticity, and will take more time, since they move slower in general.

Just one more factor that contributes to the line disparity.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:56 PM, DesperateJill said:

Because women live longer women are 52% of the population

At least globally, this is false. Because more men are born and due to some other effects the ratio in the total human population is much closer to 1 and even skewed the other way around. See e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio which cites an estimated ratio of 101 males for every 100 females.

@Brittanybunny
"My personal theory after working retail for years, depends on scenarios. Sometimes women have kids, which makes sense. But most times, they go in, lay down ever sanitary napkin thing for the toilet. Then they don’t even sit, they hover. There is that period of time where they try and get it in but half the time you just piss on the floor. The other thing, which pisses me off (no pun intended) is women DO NOT FLUSH THEIR SHIT! I cannot even count, how many times cleaning bathrooms, where the reason no one uses a stall, or multiple, is because someone went in, shit and didnt flush, and for some reason, no one has the balls to just flush the toilet and go. This causes less stalls to be open, and longer lines. Again, this is my two cents from experience, no matter where i go, this is the issue for me. Even my boss (big buff guy) asked “how the hell do women miss if you sit?” And i had to explain “because half of them dont, they squat”."

I have to admit that's a pet peeve of mine and I honestly don't understand why some women will not flush the toilet like that. If I go to the bathroom and there is something in the toilet I will flush it before I sit down and use it, but I can understand why people don't flush the toilet like that, it is rather annoying.
@mirtdesp
"Lets say the difference is i dont know 45 seconds.  Women is being very fast, but its still going to take longer.  45 seconds isnt a lot right?  not that big of a deal right?  but multiple that times lets say 15.  (60 people in line at an event, 4 stalls, 15).  All of a sudden that 45 seconds is about 12 minutes.    and it will continually get worse."

I think that this is a good point all of these little things add up especially when you have a larger crowd. Where there is a small crowd these things might not make that much of a difference but where there is a big crowd and everybody has to use the bathroom at once it can add up exponentially, and if it is in one of those situations where there is only a limited amount of time for the bathroom you end up being in the terrible position of not everybody getting to go, which is something that draws me crazier than and everything because having to go back with and interact with people who got to go when you didn't it's hard not to be constantly thinking about the fact that they got to go to the bathroom when you didn't.

@ola93
ola93
"How is the time it takes to flush relevant? You can ge fixing your clothes etc. while the toilet flushes, can't you? So this time shouldn't be added to the time a person takes inside a restroom."

I agree you flush the toilet and then you start getting ready to get out of the stall so the toilet should be done flushing by the time you get out of the stall on the next woman is ready to use it.

"To be clear here up front, I am not trying to argue other problems, including there just being too few facilities for women, shouldn't be solved too. That being said 'though, there seems to be some concensus this problem is the result of many small factors and that made me wonder, how much of a difference would it make if just those factors women can influence themselves would be changed?

What if women would stop checking their make up and chatting in bathrooms and started just getting right out after doing their business? What if women stopped going to the bathroom just because somebody else needs to go? What if women would stop wearing clothing that can't easily be taken off quickly? What if they stopped carrying around handbags? What if women would leave taking their male children to the bathroom to their partners when both are present? What if women stopped - even sometimes, after having to wait - taking their sweet time in a stall? What if women just sat down and avoided making a mess that forces others to squat?"

I can't deny that women are often selfish in the bathroom and inconsiderate of other women who need to use the bathroom, and I am not entirely innocent of that myself. But these are just some of the differences between the sexes that are probably just not going to realistically change anytime soon.

I always sort of think of it in these terms, yes there are selfish behaviors of women in the bathroom, and yes there are certain things that make it worse so we are not doing ourselves any favors. But I still think that the ultimate issue is the fact that men still have a much easier time using the bathroom because they can go a lot quicker as a result of urinals. To me it's not entirely fair to blame women for their behavior when they are the ones dealing with toilet scarcity and the men are not. The fact is that pretty much every place men are able to use the bathroom relatively quickly without any kind of a wait  while women have a huge wait. So when it comes down to it women are fighting for limited access to bathrooms and I feel like it creates almost like a survival of the fittest scenario so to speak. Men don't have to deal with being in competition for other men for toilet access for the most part but women are all basically stuck in this scenario together and when you are in that scenario together you simply don't care about the other women waiting in line you just care about getting your own relief because if you don't get your own release quickly you might not get to go at all.

I always considered an irony though the fact is that men get more places to go to the bathroom and yet I think that most women get  angrier at other women. Yes-men created the toilet scarcity leading to all of this in the first place seeing as most architects are men and don't consult women on this issue, but it's the women that you're fighting  over toilet access so you sort of resent the tall women who get to go to the bathroom when you don't, whereas the men generally get to go to the bathroom one way or another so you're not really focusing on them you are focusing on the other women who want to use the toilet just as badly as you do.

"How much of a difference would this make? Would it lower the chances of women having to wait in line enough to make women start skipping bathrooms when there is a line and go looking for another opportunity in stead? How much more would this help? How many more toilets for women would still be needed if you eliminated all these factors for which there are relatively easy solutions?"

I have to admit over time I have become a pessimist about this issue ever being solved because even in situations where women have an equal or even greater number of toilets the line still seems to persist. It almost pains me to admit it but I really do feel like the ladies room line might just be somewhat unavoidable because women would need quite a substantial increase in toilets compared to men for the ladies room line to decrease to a reasonable degree so to some degree I feel that biology might be destiny. Of course when you have a limited time to use the toilet and you know that not everyone is going to get to go it's very hard to admit this fact to yourself, the fact is the matter means that as things stand there will always be a line for women and sometimes that means that not everybody gets to go and when you are not the one who gets to go it is still very very frustrating!

"At least globally, this is false. Because more men are born and due to some other effects the ratio in the total human population is much closer to 1 and even skewed the other way around. See e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio which cites an estimated ratio of 101 males for every 100 females."

I have mostly heard the 52%  statistic quoted in a lot of articles that I have seen on things like potty parity and maybe it's just more in Western nations although at any rate I think that the 2% difference are the 4% difference probably doesn't make that much of a factor. Men and women are there and more equal numbers more or less and the ultimate factor is just the fact that men can go quicker, have more places to go and don't have to go as much, I think it's really those three factors that influence the huge substantial difference more than everything else. But it's frequently a case where women are in the worst of all worlds, we have to go more often, we have often have to 1/3 as many places to go and we take twice as long so when you take all those three factors together it really adds up to an exponential increase that simply isn't the case for men, and again short of extraordinary increases in toilets I don't really see that likely being solved anytime soon.

We have said it before on this form, but gender neutrals solves a lot of these issues for Women since sharing floor space would allow for better utilization of toilet stalls. However, a gender neutral bathroom w/ no-urinals may actually make longer lines since it would introduce men into the queue for toilet stalls. I'm a fan of gender neutral bathrooms that still have a few urinals.

with-urinals.thumb.jpg.29bacd26117dd1926ad9c9274614fcfd.jpg

52 minutes ago, Skinny Twink said:

We have said it before on this form, but gender neutrals solves a lot of these issues for Women since sharing floor space would allow for better utilization of toilet stalls. However, a gender neutral bathroom w/ no-urinals may actually make longer lines since it would introduce men into the queue for toilet stalls. I'm a fan of gender neutral bathrooms that still have a few urinals.

I feel there's a model for the shortest wait times. Any mathematicians or statisticians among us?..

1 hour ago, Ian Newton said:

I feel there's a model for the shortest wait times. Any mathematicians or statisticians among us?..

I dabble but the problem is complex enough to exceed my competence. All the different variations in body type, scenarios of use, social ramifications of change versus stasis, and the probabilities of illness gang up on me. It's worse than trying to calculate air resistance.

@DrBorderline

"I dabble but the problem is complex enough to exceed my competence. All the different variations in body type, scenarios of use, social ramifications of change versus stasis, and the probabilities of illness gang up on me. It's worse than trying to calculate air resistance."

I do think it varies a lot on a scenario by scenario basis, and I am definitely not a mathematician or statistician, but I have read a lot of the mathematics behind this and no matter what way you slice it doesn't look like women are going to be going to the bathroom without a long wait anytime soon, once again I think that math can make you somewhat pessimistic about these things.

I've written various optimization algorithms that relied on creating a simulation of the problem. If we want, we can definitely model this and have a fun chuckle. We could create an application where you can create bathrooms and throw a simulated load at it and we can observe what the average wait times would be between the men and women. 

However, maybe It's like @Omo Alex said, and we will never know all the factors that influence why there are lines and explaining it in numbers is missing the point. 

13 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

once again I think that math can make you somewhat pessimistic about these things.

I tend to agree @DesperateJill. Planners likely already know the factors that influence this and that there will likely be lines during active time periods. It all comes down to money and space. Building larger bathrooms just to prevent lines, isn't a top priority. Most developers are just trying to hit the minimum government mandates for bathroom sizes. Businesses would much rather use the space for something that provides greater ROI.

@Skinny Twink

"I tend to agree @DesperateJill. Planners likely already know the factors that influence this and that there will likely be lines during active time periods. It all comes down to money and space. Building larger bathrooms just to prevent lines, isn't a top priority. Most developers are just trying to hit the minimum government mandates for bathroom sizes. Businesses would much rather use the space for something that provides greater ROI."

I think this is actually the crux of the problem really because when I started reading about potty parity a lot of the people  who opposed it said that you should just go to the place that has the best bathroom access and spend your money there and people would get the message. The problem is that they don't realize that the female bathroom lines are terrible everywhere, there is no real alternative, everyplace has extremely large lines, some may have slightly less than others, but it any basic crowded place there is going to be gigantic lines for the ladies room and nobody running these events really cares about that. So there's really no other option other than you put up with the lines or you just don't go to the event, and obviously women aren't going to stop patronizing these places just because the bathroom lines are terrible. And I have to admit that once again I am probably no different than that, if I know a place is going to have gigantic lines I will plan for that contingency, but it's not going to stop me from going to something. Just like in those other scenarios I've mentioned where there is only a limited amount of time to use the bathroom, in some cases all of the women aren't going to get to go so you simply just hope for the best and if you go you just have to deal with crossing your legs the rest of the time! Again it sucks but I don't really see anybody solving the problem anytime soon, and this goes again back to why women usually will wait in the first line they come to, because they know they're probably not going to find better elsewhere. As I've said I am a pessimist this will ever be solved, and it's funny sometimes chatting with guys about this seeing as no matter what happens they are still going to be able to go to the bathroom just as quickly, which is really frustrating!

17 minutes ago, Skinny Twink said:

I've written various optimization algorithms that relied on creating a simulation of the problem. If we want, we can definitely model this and have a fun chuckle. We could create an application where you can create bathrooms and throw a simulated load at it and we can observe what the average wait times would be between the men and women. 

However, maybe It's like @Omo Alex said, and we will never know all the factors that influence why there are lines and explaining it in numbers is missing the point. 

I tend to agree @DesperateJill. Planners likely already know the factors that influence this and that there will likely be lines during active time periods. It all comes down to money and space. Building larger bathrooms just to prevent lines, isn't a top priority. Most developers are just trying to hit the minimum government mandates for bathroom sizes. Businesses would much rather use the space for something that provides greater ROI.

Yeah, it probably isn't a big enough problem to throw a lot of money on. I don't know if it's a huge difference between where I live (Scandinavia) and US or other places, but the last time I had to wait more than a couple of minutes in a line to the restroom was years and years ago, and I use public restrooms more than the average person (nervous bladder in public haha)

So in my experience restroom lines isn't really an issue in everyday life, it's more of an issue in specific circumstances (concerts, airports etc) and even then it's just an issue during high traffic times

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this somewhere in this thread (or maybe it's a bigger problem in other countries and I don't have any revelant insights)

Edit: browsed through the thread a bit more now, and yeah, what I added was not really relevant to the current discussion, I don't go to big events that often and if I do I'm likely to leave early/in the middle of something just to make sure I don't end up in a line lol

Edited by GotaSecret (see edit history)

@GotaSecret

"Yeah, it probably isn't a big enough problem to throw a lot of money on. I don't know if it's a huge difference between where I live (Scandinavia) and US or other places, but the last time I had to wait more than a couple of minutes in a line to the restroom was years and years ago, and I use public restrooms more than the average person (nervous bladder in public haha)"

Although it's a global problem I do think that it varies a lot from country to country, and Scandinavia is known to be much more egalitarian and much more concerned with the well-being of its citizens and in particular women compared to the rest of the world.

"So in my experience restroom lines isn't really an issue in everyday life, it's more of an issue in specific circumstances (concerts, airports etc) and even then it's just an issue during high traffic times"

I agree with this as well because although I talk a lot about bathroom lines and times in which I was desperate these are sort of relatively rare occasions outside of specific circumstances. But I can definitely say that in the vast majority of crowded places, especially when everybody uses the bathroom at once, the lines to the ladies room do tend to be gargantuan and relatively rare for the man by comparison. And once again if you are in that situation where there is a limited amount of time it often results in some or even a majority of the women not getting to go, those of the frustrating situations that I really hate, I can deal with waiting in line as long as I get to go to the bathroom but getting in line not getting to go to the bathroom and then having to continue to interact with the women who did get to go to the bathroom, that's just maddening!

"I'm sure someone has already mentioned this somewhere in this thread (or maybe it's a bigger problem in other countries and I don't have any revelant insights)"

I know that it was definitely a major problem in China as they had protests there as well so once again I do think it is a global issue, but again it probably is worse in some countries. I know that in the United States where profits come before all else there isn't like a huge amount of potty parity even though a lot of places are getting it now slowly but surely, but in most cases I think they leave it up to the businesses and in most cases, as has been pointed out, there's no financial incentive to provide more restrooms for women so as long as the women are going to still patronize these places regardless they are content to let the women continue to wait. And as frustrating as it is that's exactly what we tend to do!

@DesperateJill Not to mention, larger bathrooms are much more expensive compared to other types of spaces to construct and maintain. Cost with janitors, cleaning supplies, water, paper towels, plumbers is all expensive. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think a fair bit of business people would opt to build a smaller restroom since they know people will try to hold it and wait if there is a line.

11 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

I think this is actually the crux of the problem really because when I started reading about potty parity a lot of the people  who opposed it said that you should just go to the place that has the best bathroom access and spend your money there and people would get the message. The problem is that they don't realize that the female bathroom lines are terrible everywhere, there is no real alternative, everyplace has extremely large lines

Very true. I don't think most people factor bathrooms when deciding where to travel to. Although, I do go to this one state park that is close to me very frequently since it has an egregious silly amount of restrooms in it. For a park that could get away with 3 bathrooms, this park has over a dozen! It's nice since you almost always have an entire public bathroom to yourself😅

@Skinny Twink

"Not to mention, larger bathrooms are much more expensive compared to other types of spaces to construct and maintain. Cost with janitors, cleaning supplies, water, paper towels, plumbers is all expensive. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think a fair bit of business people would opt to build a smaller restroom since they know people will try to hold it and wait if there is a line."

I definitely think that this is true very strongly, in fact that's why I had so much desperation when I was at my outdoor job for so many years, basically all of these bathrooms used to be open and maintain but since Covid was out and nobody was going out and using these places they ended up closing all of them, well nobody was using them except for people who have an outdoor job unfortunately, and that just happened to be the case that they ended up closing all of the bathrooms that I pretty much had to rely on so I ended up getting stuck holding it. But it's true they are not going to build more restrooms if they could get away with it which is the main impetus behind party parity in the first place, if you just leave it up to the market to decide they will decide you can go on holding it.

"Very true. I don't think most people factor bathrooms when deciding where to travel to. Although, I do go to this one state park that is close to me very frequently since it has an egregious silly amount of restrooms in it. For a park that could get away with 3 bathrooms, this park has over a dozen! It's nice since you almost always have an entire public bathroom to yourself"

I think having a public bathroom all to yourself is a luxury that women do not enjoy very often because even if you don't have to wait for the bathroom it is usually never empty for very long so I do think that the women's bathroom seems to be almost  and continual use much of the time. Even when I go out it places and I'm not using the bathroom I sometimes look over at the bathroom and you can definitely see women are constantly coming in and out of the ladies room but you don't really see men coming in and out of the men's room is often, so I do think that women have a greater need of bathrooms so it's a special double whammy of misery that we get stuck with fewer of them!

I always take bathrooms into consideration wherever I go, but it is true that I do not plan to travel around bathroom access necessarily. I always try to use the bathroom every opportunity I get but if I don't have the opportunity I will end up holding it. Just like those scenarios that I brought up about those bus stops with limited restroom breaks, those are situations where women are just not always going to get to go with the majority aren't, just like at Broadway plays. You know that during intermission if you don't get to the front of the line right away you're simply not going to get to go. So when I do go to a place like that I always pull for the bathrooms right away, but if I don't get to go to the bathroom am not going to not go to a place like that. But it is still rather frustrating when all of your male companions get to go at the intermission but that you have to wait until the end of the show in which case there will be another huge line. So if you're going to like a three hour show the guys will probably get to go to the bathroom about halfway through whereby the end of the play you might have been holding it for like four hours and are ready to explode!

I remember a conversation I had elsewhere with @rebeljaffa once where we were discussing this particular place I forget where it was that we saw on the Internet where it was basically like a scenario where it was a long intermission and where for all of the women to use the small number of bathrooms during the intermission would take at least an hour but intermission was only 15 minutes long. And we brought up the fact that if I really wanted to see that what I still go to the show and I would but that didn't mean that I still wouldn't be rather annoyed that I didn't get to go to the bathroom at the intermission, I would certainly take every opportunity to try, but the fact that I might have to hold it through the whole show is not necessarily a dealbreaker. Of course going to a show like that with somebody who is also into omorashi would make it especially frustrating though!

I think that maybe my job where I was holding it for hours at a time made me somewhat  harsher in regards to other people who have been without bathrooms. It's like after going all day without a bathroom for like several summers on end, now if I have to wait a real long time just use the bathroom that's endurable as long as I still get to go to the bathroom at the end. So I think that over time I have somewhat become used to the idea of learning to go to events and places and interact with other people while still holding a very full bladder, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating, in fact it makes it even more frustrating the fact that I have found myself getting used to it in spite of all of my ranting about these topics, it's amazingly how easy you can get used to something that you thought would be completely intolerable.

3 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@DrBorderline

"I dabble but the problem is complex enough to exceed my competence. All the different variations in body type, scenarios of use, social ramifications of change versus stasis, and the probabilities of illness gang up on me. It's worse than trying to calculate air resistance."

I do think it varies a lot on a scenario by scenario basis, and I am definitely not a mathematician or statistician, but I have read a lot of the mathematics behind this and no matter what way you slice it doesn't look like women are going to be going to the bathroom without a long wait anytime soon, once again I think that math can make you somewhat pessimistic about these things.

Truly math is the greatest evil created

5 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@Skinny Twink

"Not to mention, larger bathrooms are much more expensive compared to other types of spaces to construct and maintain. Cost with janitors, cleaning supplies, water, paper towels, plumbers is all expensive. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think a fair bit of business people would opt to build a smaller restroom since they know people will try to hold it and wait if there is a line."

I definitely think that this is true very strongly, in fact that's why I had so much desperation when I was at my outdoor job for so many years, basically all of these bathrooms used to be open and maintain but since Covid was out and nobody was going out and using these places they ended up closing all of them, well nobody was using them except for people who have an outdoor job unfortunately, and that just happened to be the case that they ended up closing all of the bathrooms that I pretty much had to rely on so I ended up getting stuck holding it. But it's true they are not going to build more restrooms if they could get away with it which is the main impetus behind party parity in the first place, if you just leave it up to the market to decide they will decide you can go on holding it.

"Very true. I don't think most people factor bathrooms when deciding where to travel to. Although, I do go to this one state park that is close to me very frequently since it has an egregious silly amount of restrooms in it. For a park that could get away with 3 bathrooms, this park has over a dozen! It's nice since you almost always have an entire public bathroom to yourself"

I think having a public bathroom all to yourself is a luxury that women do not enjoy very often because even if you don't have to wait for the bathroom it is usually never empty for very long so I do think that the women's bathroom seems to be almost  and continual use much of the time. Even when I go out it places and I'm not using the bathroom I sometimes look over at the bathroom and you can definitely see women are constantly coming in and out of the ladies room but you don't really see men coming in and out of the men's room is often, so I do think that women have a greater need of bathrooms so it's a special double whammy of misery that we get stuck with fewer of them!

I always take bathrooms into consideration wherever I go, but it is true that I do not plan to travel around bathroom access necessarily. I always try to use the bathroom every opportunity I get but if I don't have the opportunity I will end up holding it. Just like those scenarios that I brought up about those bus stops with limited restroom breaks, those are situations where women are just not always going to get to go with the majority aren't, just like at Broadway plays. You know that during intermission if you don't get to the front of the line right away you're simply not going to get to go. So when I do go to a place like that I always pull for the bathrooms right away, but if I don't get to go to the bathroom am not going to not go to a place like that. But it is still rather frustrating when all of your male companions get to go at the intermission but that you have to wait until the end of the show in which case there will be another huge line. So if you're going to like a three hour show the guys will probably get to go to the bathroom about halfway through whereby the end of the play you might have been holding it for like four hours and are ready to explode!

I remember a conversation I had elsewhere with @rebeljaffa once where we were discussing this particular place I forget where it was that we saw on the Internet where it was basically like a scenario where it was a long intermission and where for all of the women to use the small number of bathrooms during the intermission would take at least an hour but intermission was only 15 minutes long. And we brought up the fact that if I really wanted to see that what I still go to the show and I would but that didn't mean that I still wouldn't be rather annoyed that I didn't get to go to the bathroom at the intermission, I would certainly take every opportunity to try, but the fact that I might have to hold it through the whole show is not necessarily a dealbreaker. Of course going to a show like that with somebody who is also into omorashi would make it especially frustrating though!

I think that maybe my job where I was holding it for hours at a time made me somewhat  harsher in regards to other people who have been without bathrooms. It's like after going all day without a bathroom for like several summers on end, now if I have to wait a real long time just use the bathroom that's endurable as long as I still get to go to the bathroom at the end. So I think that over time I have somewhat become used to the idea of learning to go to events and places and interact with other people while still holding a very full bladder, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating, in fact it makes it even more frustrating the fact that I have found myself getting used to it in spite of all of my ranting about these topics, it's amazingly how easy you can get used to something that you thought would be completely intolerable.

Do you expect a line at such show and plan accoridngly? Would you do the same if you were a guy? Does it make desperation worse if the guys you are with got to go during intermission? I remember you saidf your cousin rubed it into your face

Another fascinting observation is that women have taken over the mens restroom at a park and they would line up outside the restroom and many men end up lining up to, only for the women to tell them they are lining up for the stalls but the urinals are free and men then ignore the line and go right into the urinal in front of the women. I wonder if women desperate enough to join the mens room get jealous to see that men have no lines whatsoever and on top of that are seeing men relieve themselves immediately while they have waited for at least 10mins in line (and even longer had they stayed in the womens restroon). It almost feels like the empty urinals are rubbing it to girls like haha here are plently of places to go but too bad you cant use one so you gotta wait. When I used the urinal next to the stall the women who ran in was gushing pee with a strong stream sound so I can only imagine how desperate she was. 

The interesting question is that if a guy also needs a stall, should they join the line behind the women or should guys get priority and cut to the front since its the mens room? 

Again, at this part, super fasicnating as to how stark the line differences are that just cant seem to be explained? 

I timed me going to the restroom (in public for authenticity lol). I had a handbag that I needed to hang on a hook, jeans with a belt and an outfit with a tucked in shirt (all things that take a couple extra seconds to undo/redo afterwards) Medium full bladder.

It took 1:30 minutes after I entered the stall and another 30 seconds to wash my hands outside of the stall afterward. Also a few seconds to move from the restroom entrance into the stall.

So

Time inside stall: 1:30 minutes

Total time: just above 2 minutes

13 hours ago, Skinny Twink said:

Though in principle I would agree and mixed gender toilets have a lot of advantages in practicle terms but there are some down sides in my opinion.

Those downs sides are based very much on emotional comfort of the situation.

There are many mixed sex toilets in Europe, in fact very common in resturants and bars.

As a male, I am not as comfortable for a couple of reasons.

1) I feel somehow like a pariah or preditor invading a female space & lets face it, for most people toileting is a very personal thing as it's when you are most vulnerable. 

2) I would also feel uncomfortable going into a stall if I was despirate for a poo for the fear of been seen as inconsiderate if any females were in a stalls next to me.  Even a fart would be outrageous ( I would probably die laughing ) . 

My wife has also stated that she finds mixed toilets uncomfortable and fealt more thretenned with males around her whilst effectively undressed whilst sat on the toilet and at her most vulnerable. This made her retisant to use the mixed facilities.

Edited by wetgarth (see edit history)
26 minutes ago, GotaSecret said:

I timed me going to the restroom (in public for authenticity lol). I had a handbag that I needed to hang on a hook, jeans with a belt and an outfit with a tucked in shirt (all things that take a couple extra seconds to undo/redo afterwards) Medium full bladder.

It took 1:30 minutes after I entered the stall and another 30 seconds to wash my hands outside of the stall afterward. Also a few seconds to move from the restroom entrance into the stall.

So

Time inside stall: 1:30 minutes

Total time: just above 2 minutes

Though I haven't timed it, I reckon most men generally going to the urinal with would be no more than 60sec's (obvously some will take longer to empty their bladder depending on capacity and need ) 

Reasons for this statement.

If despirate, I for one would be starting to unfasten belt and be unbuttoning the fly on the way to the unrinal and similarly be refastening and moving away almost immediately it's safely repositioned back in my underwear. Then immediately to the wash basin wash- dry and go. Job done.  If I am wearing a shirt that is tucked in (which is unusual) then generally it only needs to be tucked back in at the front, thus another few seconds saved.  

But the overiding factor is once finsihed peeing most men move away from the urinal leaving it available for the next person. And if there male toilets are busy and there is a queue, most men are conciuos of this as they can see the people behind them so seem to move away more quickly making the space available for the next person