Sign in to follow this  

I start off with a story but can't think of any more of what to put

Ever get that feeling that you start on a story, You feel your getting more into the writing but then you stop and can't think of what more to put?

..Yup! I have a story but still thinking of what more to put. I think as I go!

Mmm, sort of. My problem is a little bit different though.

Generally, I come up with an ending, then the beginning, and then maybe a few points in the middle. However, whenever I get started writing, I feel like I take ages on the beginning and try to hurry it along and then I get stuck. Then I close my word processor and never open the file again.

As you can tell, I'm a talented author.

They call that writers block.

If you tell us the general theme of your story I'm sure our beloved community would be happy to throw in a few suggestions to get you going.

I always find it hardest to start the story and get it going. I am a god at coming up with the plot and scenario though. Also I tend to write informational articles when I do finally start them.

If I'm writing properly I always plan for years beforehand (I first thought of some stories when I was about 13, and they developed and matured as I got older), and slowly add more chracters and events. The results are not conventional at all - a bit like a Tarantino film. For example, "The Hibernating Bear" is told first-person through several narrators from different backgrounds, each of which is somewhat unreliable. The overarching plot is the rise and fall of a Russian mafiosi turned businessman who becomes the world's richest man under Yeltsin, then loses it all under Putin. However, this plot only counts for a tiny fraction of the events of the book. My rule is "if you're following conventions and not subverting them, you're doing it wrong." Unfortunately my extended knowledge of science leads to accurate physics and realistically portrayed violence (people don't die instantly if shot but instead bleed slowly to death as in Reservoir Dogs, people lose control of their bodily functions on death, broken glass horribly lacerates victims and so on), which deters a lot of people, including Kimiko. "The Hibernating Bear", and its sequel "Black Market Business", are complete in draft form, but are continually being improved. They will not be published, because I don't want my name on a book featuring shotguns being discharged in women's orifices.

As for writer's block, it only occurs when you haven't planned the story to the end first. You need to know the plot before you begin unless you're writing a stream of consciousness novel (Joyce).

Sign in to follow this