Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

A question for omo writers

Is it normal for you to not get aroused from your work once you've finished it or am I just weird?

I wrote a story a while back, and while I certainly felt excited and horny whilst writing it, it doesn't do the trick for me now that it's finished. It might just be because it's not a particularly good story, but nonetheless, I wanted to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Edited by Hades (see edit history)

For me, I definitely get turned on by mine later. Of course, I’m not going to reread something I wrote the previous night. Well, not most of the time, sometimes if it’s a really good chapter I will. But for example, I recently went back and read this story that I wrote earlier this year. And I really enjoyed it, it was just as hot as I remembered. I actually enjoyed rereading it more than I did actually by going off my memories of the real event it was based off of, as I worded it in a way that is super arousing to me, and my memories don’t have that as they aren’t written.

(Sorry for the shameless plug, if it had a better title I’d just write that.)

1 minute ago, RagingPython said:

For me, I definitely get turned on by mine later. Of course, I’m not going to reread something I wrote the previous night. Well, not most of the time, sometimes if it’s a really good chapter I will. But for example, I recently went back and read this story that I wrote earlier this year. And I really enjoyed it, it was just as hot as I remembered. I actually enjoyed rereading it more than I did actually by going off my memories of the real event it was based off of, as I worded it in a way that is super arousing to me, and my memories don’t have that as they aren’t written.

(Sorry for the shameless plug, if it had a better title I’d just write that.)

I agree with some stories I've written I'll go back and reread them and feel aroused from them like i did when i wrote them.

I apologize for how arrogant this is gonna sound, but I find it next to impossible to get turned on by any fictional story other than my own.

My interests are very specific. Most stories have something that turns me off. Beyond that, the vast majority of fiction here is... Not expertly edited and formatted, to be as polite as possible. To be much less polite, I can't have a proper wank to something that was written by placing a live fragmentation grenade on a keyboard and posting the results.

So I revisit my stories often, yes.

With me, it depends on the mood. I really enjoy writing omo fetish material, because it’s an interest of mine, but I also enjoy the act of writing. Sometimes I just like re-reading to see what I could’ve done better, in a critical sense, then other times I do get aroused by it. 
Im a lot more likely to be aroused by my own work than others, not because I think it’s better or anything, but simply because it’s more tailored to my own tastes. Even if I’m reading something by another author, that is my own tastes, I’ll always find a way to think to myself how I would’ve done it differently, not because my way is better, but how it would appeal to me more. 
At the end of the day, we are not writing to appeal to a huge consumer audience like a real author would be, so we may as well tailor it to our most loyal reader, ourselves. 

1 minute ago, Bulge_Lover said:

I apologize for how arrogant this is gonna sound, but I find it next to impossible to get turned on by any fictional story other than my own.

My interests are very specific. Most stories have something that turns me off. Beyond that, the vast majority of fiction here is... Not expertly edited and formatted, to be as polite as possible. To be much less polite, I can't have a proper wank to something that was written by placing a live fragmentation grenade on a keyboard and posting the results.

Lol. We were both commenting at the same time, and basically saying the same thing. I totally agree. 

9 minutes ago, Bulge_Lover said:

WOW. You weren’t kidding about arrogance. I’m normally awfully arrogant in person, but this and the fact that you literally say your are the best above your profile picture really caught me off guard.

I kinda have to agree though, some of the stories on here look as if they were written by a small child, US President, or explosive device. And many of them have something that puts me off too. So often I read another story, and then effectively relive the same story in my imagination the same way I relive memories when I write my own stories, and during this I make the alternations I need to really enjoy the story, and that leaves me massively aroused.

24 minutes ago, Bulge_Lover said:

To be much less polite, I can't have a proper wank to something that was written by placing a live fragmentation grenade on a keyboard and posting the results.

🤣

That is a great way to stating it. I would upvote that twice, if I could. I do agree to some extent: our community is a mixed bag in terms of fiction quality.

On the matter of the original question, I usually still get turned on by my own writing and tend to go back and reread it from time to time, the same way I tend to go back and reread any fiction that I really enjoyed.

I frequently reread my own stories and get very aroused but I get more aroused writing them. 

As someone who is a very successful author in real life I find it rather distasteful and upsetting that others are so openly critical about the fictional content here. 

Many of those taking the time and effort to contribute are doing so with English as a second or even third language. They are investing their own time free of charge to contribute and share their voice and for that I am extremely grateful. 

As with everything in life if something isn’t to your taste scroll past. 

As my wonderful grandmother used to say ‘if you can’t say anything positive don’t say anything at all.’

So thank you hugely to everyone who contributes to this site. We are all individuals with different tastes and turn ons but this is an inclusive and welcoming community and we value you all. 

But back to the original question: yes I very much find this too and I would argue if your work doesn’t impact you in this way then it should. Writing is much better when it touches the author fully. 

Can't say I revisit my old stories too often. 

Reason 1: I always want to edit them, which ruins all the fun

Reason 2: There is a specific feeling connected to it. If the story is written properly, posting it is like coming without physically coming. It's a feeling of relief and joy,  because I can share it finally, it's not some dark fantasy hidden in my sub-conscience; and I wasn't holding back on emotions while writing it. Then there is no reason to revisit the story for a long time, unless I wanna do part 2.

Thanks for an interesting question, very stimulating

I'm more a general smut writer than a omo writer, but active writing of smut often leaves me either too aroused to think straight or brings me to climax, after which my desire to write smut drops.

When I do a cold read the next day or a few days later to catch typos, I often have an easier time keeping my libido in check. How much of it is that I don't have to focus as much on visualizing scenes as on the words coming through my headphones, and how much is familiarity, I'm not sure.

When I'm rereading something I wrote months or years ago, I usually find it quite arousing until I hit a typo I missed on prior reads.

12 minutes ago, Imouto Kitten said:

I'm more a general smut writer than a omo writer, but active writing of smut often leaves me either too aroused to think straight or brings me to climax, after which my desire to write smut drops.

When I do a cold read the next day or a few days later to catch typos, I often have an easier time keeping my libido in check. How much of it is that I don't have to focus as much on visualizing scenes as on the words coming through my headphones, and how much is familiarity, I'm not sure.

When I'm rereading something I wrote months or years ago, I usually find it quite arousing until I hit a typo I missed on prior reads.

Now that is surprisingly similar to me, when I write my omo stories I get so aroused it can be really hard to focus on writing, and eventually I get brought to climax and have to stop writing since I want to be in just the right mood, turned on to just the right level, when I write. I think the fact that I write them at a 6/10, 7/10, or 8/10 (if it’s a long chapter and I go up a level from a 7/10) is what really makes it hard to control myself at times.

Edited by RagingPython (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

A little late to the party here, hope you all don’t mind! 

That’s a good question. For me, it varies. For me, a lot of my erotic writing is determined by 1) what I’m writing turns me on, and 2) what I’m writing turns someone else on. But I’m both of this scenarios, the arousal usually fades for a time, simply because it’s not new to me. It’s the opposite of new, I know the story from start to finish.

However, just about everything I’ve written gets more potent after I’ve stepped away from it for awhile. It’s more arousing when I revisit later, rather than right after I wrote it.

for me whenever i write fetish erotica, i usually find that i am very aroused with the initial planning and writing, but whenever i am finished with the work, i am usually not aroused by them. i think for me this is because i mistakes and missed opportunities in my works, but i am very critical when it comes to my writing. 

So typically, I'm writing something because I think it's hot, and it doesn't exist yet elsewhere in the world. I honestly enjoy the process more than I enjoy rereading, but I do reread my own work from time to time. I tend to write furry or fanfic stuff though, so a lot of the time it's a niche within a niche. Like as far as I know, I've written the only piece of Grimm omo out there. 

Guest Closed_Account
On 10/5/2019 at 11:10 PM, Noriaki said:

Is it normal for you to not get aroused from your work once you've finished it or am I just weird?

Writing is exhausting, also you've already fully mentally explored the scenario while you were writing it, so when you re-read it there's no surprises.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I hate writing and only do it because it's a compulsion and a curse. Usually by the time I finish and post something, I'm so tired of looking at it that it's like turning in an essay in school - I don't remember what I said and I don't care. Sometimes after enough time has passed, I can read my own fic again and enjoy it as a fic that I don't feel like I wrote, but I should have gotten my fics beta'd because I find my own descriptions hard to follow once my intended meaning is no longer fresh in my mind.

On 10/6/2019 at 12:10 AM, Noriaki said:

I wrote a story a while back, and while I certainly felt excited and horny whilst writing it, it doesn't do the trick for me now that it's finished. It might just be because it's not a particularly good story, but nonetheless, I wanted to hear other people's thoughts on this.

It's possible for me to get so invested in certain aspects of writing that I don't really see the forest from the tree (or vica versa). It's like when you hear or read a word so much that your perceptions kinda "falls through" it, and you no longer perceive it as a word, just as random gibberish. When I'm at this point I do not interpret it as a story and do not imagine it as I read it - I'm just editing, or checking it for errors. Thankfully, I'm back to normal the next day.

But barring a few rare occasions of this happening, of course I get aroused by it 🙃 That's one of the main reasons why I write it in the first place. If I don't get hot and bothered by it, why even waste my time writing it?

Also, I write horny, and edit satiated. Post after a few iterations of this cycle, after I'm not changing it much anymore.

OP, I think part of your problem might be getting tired of your own work if you've been working on it for too long to. Think of it this way, a funny joke gets less funny the more times you hear it. The same is true of erotic content, after a while what was once really erotic just doesn't do anything for you.

As a writer I'm big perfectionist, I find myself often staring at the screen for over 20 minutes trying to get one or two short paragraphs just right, to make it as erotic as possible. I often get side tracked by repeatedly going back to try to make the earlier parts of my story even better.

While this can produce some good quality stories, it also tends to burn me out after a while, which hurts the quality of my writing, and leaves me thinking that everything I've written in that story, or that series, just sucks because it doesn't turn me on anymore.

If you start feeling like that about a story that you once thought was great, and especially if others have told you it was great, I'd suggest taking a several week break from it, and maybe work on writing something else completely different.