Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Considered self hard?

Every year I love when the weather gets iffy and my lips get cracked. When my lips start to crack I take my hair and hold it all the way down at the end and take the little ends and push them into the cracks. Basically cutting my lip with my hair, I like when it hurts and I’m sort of addicted to it. I’m unsure if it’s considered self harm and I can’t find any instances of any one else doing the same thing. I’m not sure if I should get help with it or if it’s fine. 

18 hours ago, Gabby Jay said:

Do you do it solely because you like the sensation, or does it come from something else, such as, feeling a need to punish yourself? If you only do it because you like the way it feels, then it's definitely a little strange, but ultimately, not something you'd need to go out and get therapy for.

I’m not sure why I do it, I definitely like that it hurts but I also do it when I’m anxious 

I used to do something similar when I was younger where I would grin when I had dry lips to stretch them out. It hurt but kinda felt good at the same time, and I guess I thought that if I did it enough my lips would loosen to the point where they wouldn't hurt anymore (dumb logic, I know). I don't think minor stuff like that qualifies as self-harm though. It's closer to just being an unhealthy habit like biting your nails or, heh, holding in your pee way longer than you should.