Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

New York City and the lack of public bathrooms

I just visited NYC like 2 months ago and there seems to be a serious lack of public facilities over there. 

There are only like 3 public bathrooms in the whole city (or at least, this was how I felt). 

Most stores have none (unless it's a very large retail store like Gap or Macy's) and very few cafes have restrooms for the customers (apparently, if they have 20 seats or less they're not required by law to have one). 

On Yelp, I've seen a lot of reviewers complaining about the lack of bathrooms in various places in NYC. 

Whenever I go to a cafe, I usually just order a coffee and take it on the go, so if they don't have a bathroom, it's not really a problem for me. But there are a lot of people out there who come to cafes to work/study/write and spend hours in there with their laptops. 

Also, if you are just getting ready to go on a date while in NYC and you want to see your girlfriend being desperate - may I suggest the Seven Grams Cafe - romantic  atmosphere, nicely decorated, coffee that makes you want to drink more ( the portions they serve are usually very large too) and NO bathroom (;

Urban public toilets are expensive to maintain (cleaning and repairing vandalism), and they can be hangouts for drugs, sex and other criminal activity.  The few times I have used such facilities they were filthy and populated with unsavory characters and, sadly, the homeless.  Round-the-clock staffing would be necessary to keep any kind of standard.

Some cafes have rest rooms requiring that you be admitted by an employee either personally or by a key.  Hotels sometimes have rest rooms accessible from the lobby.  Overall, public toilets are a significant expense with little or no return.  Nowadays, everything is all about the money.

NYC sounds like a nightmare for someone who have to pee a lot and can't hold it long. But lots of cities close public bathrooms at night here in Europe too. In city where I live, you can't find a public bathroom that is open between 10 PM and 6 AM, except at bigger gas stations and even there you have to ask employee for a key. If you have to pee, you have to relay on night clubs, hotels or pee out in the open. Well, you can wet yourself as an alternative, of course.

In the US, many of the "big box" stores have rest rooms available, and some (like some WalMarts) are open 24 hours a day.  Municipal buildings (like city/town halls and libraries) generally have rest rooms available, but only during their business hours.  Bigger cities are probably more restrictive for access than smaller communities that have fewer drug and homeless problems.  

There is this giant beautiful library in NYC Manhattan (called Jefferson Market) which has NO BATHROOM. And people usually spend hours in there studying, writing, reading, etc. Is that legal? 

Though from what I've heard they DO have a bathroom for the little kids coming there but not for the adults. 

how are cafe and resturants in nyc allowed to not have rest rooms? your to eat your food with filthy dirty hands then get sick from germs making you vomit to where you have the dry heaves. and get the runs and wind up being taken to the hospital for dehydration???? why do the restaurants in nyc want their customers to throw up after eating at them with dirty hands??? even the fast food places here in miami have rest rooms. nyc and miami are about the same size so why the big difference??

7 hours ago, Andreea said:

There is this giant beautiful library in NYC Manhattan (called Jefferson Market) which has NO BATHROOM. And people usually spend hours in there studying, writing, reading, etc. Is that legal? 

Though from what I've heard they DO have a bathroom for the little kids coming there but not for the adults. 

If they're not serving food or drink they probably can get away with not having a public restroom... though, again, why wouldn't you offer one at a place people are expected to stay for extended periods?

Y'all are hilarious. NYC has plenty of bathrooms. Heck there's a Starbucks every three blocks for the parts of the city you've probably visited. And nearly every cafe or restaurant is gonna have a bathroom, unless it's a hole in the wall. You just need a little savvy.

Now, go way uptown or out to certain parts of Brooklyn and you'll be harder pressed, but there's still plenty of places to pee. Every bar has a bathroom and there's one on every block. Come on...

59 minutes ago, kochel428 said:

Y'all are hilarious. NYC has plenty of bathrooms. Heck there's a Starbucks every three blocks for the parts of the city you've probably visited. And nearly every cafe or restaurant is gonna have a bathroom, unless it's a hole in the wall. You just need a little savvy.

Now, go way uptown or out to certain parts of Brooklyn and you'll be harder pressed, but there's still plenty of places to pee. Every bar has a bathroom and there's one on every block. Come on...

Ima take a stab and assume you live in nyc so you know the spots and stuff. I guess it’s more for tourists who don’t know where to go or are unfamiliar with the system.

Some years ago I was walking down fifth avenue in NYC.  I had drunk a good amount of coffee and had to pee really bad even before I left the office, but decided that it would be more fun to hold my pee in until the last second rather than Just go to the bathroom before leaving, like a “responsible adult” would.  When I was at the point of “Ok, if I don’t get to a bathroom right away I’m going to wet my pants,” I was near a department store (I think it was called H&M), so that’s where I went in order to find a public restroom.  Well, their public “facilities” consisted of two unisex single-toilet bathrooms situated next to one another. This took place before Amazon had taken over retail, so the department store was quite crowded. And since the store was on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, and it was a beautiful summer day, the line for the bathrooms was LONG.  As an added bonus, since the bathrooms were unisex, I got to stand in the same line as the women, and the line was overwhelmingly female.  

I absolutely LOVED this.  I was on line with a bunch of women who were bursting to pee, some of whom were becoming quite frantic. I was right there to hear their comments like “Why isn’t this line moving any faster.  I have to pee soooooooo bad.”  I myself had to pee so bad that I honestly didn’t know if I’d be able to hold it in until I got to the  front of the line. I chatted a little with the woman next to me on line, telling her that I probably shouldn’t have drunk so much coffee that morning, because “now I have to pee so bad that I can barely hold it in.”  She smiled and said something like “I’m right there with you.”

Being on that line was so exciting, both because there were so many women who were absolutely bursting, and because I needed to pee so badly that I felt like I might accidentally piss my pants right there in public.  Somehow I managed to make it to the bathroom just in time, as pee started spurting out just as I was unzipping my fly and whipping out my dick.  And then I loved how as I was opening the door to exit the bathroom, a desperate woman was already charging in, barely waiting for me to get through the doorway. It would have been great if she had invited me to go back into the bathroom with her, so I could have checked if she had leaked at all in her panties and then watched her piss like a racehorse.  All in all, that was definitely one of my best workday lunch hours ever.