Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

malefemale A line for the boys' bathroom!?

This is a story from when I was 16.

I am a person with a strong affinity towards mathematics. For a few years, I was invited to a gathering which brought together hundreds of math medallists from middle to high school, that happened in a big hotel with special classes and activities for a week; the ratio of boys and girls there was skewed toward boys - at the best cases 30% of the medallists were girls.

During the second gathering, there was a day where we were scheduled to come to the capital for ceremonies with important public figures and a visit to the most respected mathematical institution there is; our hotel, however, was in a smaller, comfy town a few hours away from said capital, up in a mountain range. We left real early that day, and our schedule was packed - we weren't expected to return to the hotel until late afternoon. I won't be telling what happened during the trip, but when we had to return we had gone over schedule, a couple of hours without a bathroom break, and it was almost dinner time, so it was decided we were going to stop on a restaurant midway for the bathrooms and a quick bite.

When we got there, well... there were probably 230 boys and 70 girls that had to use the restaurant's facilities, excluding the staff. So... there were lines. And the boys' one was reeeally long - there were a few non-functioning stalls and urinals, so only very few at a time could relieve themselves. I remember being near the end of the line that formed - I can't say I was too desperate, but it was worrying that it was so long, and there were boys that had it worse than me on the line. There was so much urine released that I clearly remember one of the urinals was on the verge of flooding from it, and in the others it wasn't fully drained. There was also no visible line for the girls' when I made it in. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) there weren't any accidents.

Indeed, not a very common occurrence! Even in sports bars and beer festivals, there's usually enough urinals or those super long urinal 'benches' or racks - basically one big urinal stretched along the whole wall! I've only been in this type of situation a few times in my life. Some odd places have very limited toilet facilities... Unfortunately :D And once I was in a bar where men's toilet had no urinal just two cubicles (!), and I'm sure I went into men's, because there was a small queue.