Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

School toilets

A lot of threads on this site revolve around pee shyness or fear of using toilets at school and I wonder what different peoples' experiences were of school toilets. I went to a small village primary school of just two classes which was an incredibly happy place. Of course it was in an old Victorian building and the toilets were an outside block. For the boys there was a single long urinal with no barriers. Unsavoury though all that may sound especially on wet days in the winter, I don't ever remember any bullying or any boy being pee shy. When breaktime came we all ran there together, stood in a line and peed communally. Looking back on it, in an odd sort of way it encouraged camaraderie. We used to have competitions to see who could get it the furthest up the wall (not that I was good at that compared to others).  Of course my secondary school ones were a different story I won't go into. It makes me wonder whether attempts to modernise and sanitise school toilets over the years have actually resulted in more fear of using them and bullying there. Any thoughts?  

For many years I was a school teacher for class children aged 4 to 12 in all sorts of school buildings. Non existent had outside toilets but some were old Victorian buildings where the children had a little walk to get there and it was that walk past other classes and fear of getting told off that seemed to put some shy children off using but them. 

On thr other hand I was in a modern pre-fab building for a while with each class having it’s own toilet attached to the class by one door and this seemed even worse for many children as the walls were thin and of the class was quiet you could hear! I thought that was an awful design which really upset a lot of children. 

My own experience in Primary was awful with old fashioned toilets with the middle of the seat cut out so they were so uncomfortable to sit on, echoed and they were so cold and smelly. High school was even worse as older kids smoked in them. I just held on until home from a young age though as a teacher I never encouraged this. 

12 hours ago, Spectator9 said:

Bullying in school toilets has developed in part because teachers are no longer allowed to supervise toilet areas.  Even if it is permitted, teachers would refuse because of the danger of being accused of sexual impropriety.  (Even an unfounded accusation can end a teacher's career.)

Yes, it is right. We are living in little bit weird time. I do not stay with teachers who sexually harass but at my time at elemantary school (1986-1993) it was usually that female teachers supervised boys bathrooms and male teachers did the same in girls bathrooms. 

In year 3-4 we had swimmings lessons and in showers was sometimes male teacher and sometimes female teacher.

Today is something similar unpossible- teachers risk theirs careers. But consequences are clear- bullying, smoking and drugs on the bathrooms and some pupils do not visit school bathrooms even if they are not shy.