Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

So I’ve got an important exam tommoroow, and that got me thinking: why do so many people struggle with needing to pee during an exam?

I’ve honestly never encountered this before. I was fine during my SATS. My GCSEs weren’t an issue. A-levels? Fine.

Am I weird then? Because I keep seeing people talking about how bad it can get during exams, but it’s just not an use for me. Even on 3-4 hour exams. And I normally drink during them too, I carry water with me everything.

Probably the closest I’ve ever and to an exam desperation experience is from during my GCSE Chemistry, but even then I could’ve held it to the end, I just went to the bathroom because I didn’t want to stare at a finished paper for 20 minutes.

3 hours ago, Spectator9 said:

Some students may have consumed several cups of coffee (or other drink with caffeine) prior to the exam to be alert, and it may take a while before the diuretic effect fades.  And anxiety can make you feel like you need to pee even when nearly empty.  

True. I normally drink a cup of tea beforehand too. But that fact about the anxiety makes a lot of sense, I don’t get worried about exams at all, even really important ones that could put an end to my astrophysics course, so that’s probably why I don’t need to go during exams.

1 minute ago, KinkAndSink said:

I think there might be an element of knowing you shouldn't or aren't supposed to leave, also. Like, I'll start needing to pee in say traffic, when I didn't have to before, simply upon realizing I can't leave the vehicle. If I know I can't have a room I'll start getting antsy in anticipation.

Maybe. It does make sense.

10 hours ago, Spectator9 said:

Some students may have consumed several cups of coffee (or other drink with caffeine) prior to the exam to be alert, and it may take a while before the diuretic effect fades.  And anxiety can make you feel like you need to pee even when nearly empty.  

Yes, I agree that much of the problem is likely due to anxiety.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:31 PM, RagingPython said:

I’ve honestly never encountered this before. I was fine during my SATS. My GCSEs weren’t an issue. A-levels? Fine.

Am I weird then? Because I keep seeing people talking about how bad it can get during exams, but it’s just not an use for me. Even on 3-4 hour exams. And I normally drink during them too, I carry water with me everything.

Probably the closest I’ve ever and to an exam desperation experience is from during my GCSE Chemistry, but even then I could’ve held it to the end, I just went to the bathroom because I didn’t want to stare at a finished paper for 20 minutes.

They say you make better choices whilst needing to pee...

22 minutes ago, ♥TheWetFinn♥ said:

*gets pulled over by the police*

Officer: Ma'am, how much have you had to drink tonight?

Me, notably squirming: A lot.

😂😂 Didn’t think they enforced drink driving in Finland given that drinking is a national pass time 🤷‍♂️😂 

Never did Kimi or Valtteri much harm 😂

A lot of people are very nervous during exams and nervousness can upset your bladder to the point where you start feeling the urge to pee.

When I was in school and even in college I always emptied my bladder before exams, so I would not get desperate during the exam. But with long exams, even that didn't always help, especially when I was not sufficiently prepared and didn't know the answers to the questions. Fear and nervousness always had very bad effect on me.