Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Python Based Text Game

I'd be interested in helping with writing. I've been wanting to make a game like the Melissa or Jenny games that also have some sort of "fun" meter as well as maybe an "embarrassment" meter. 

Couple thing's I've thought of would be 2 female best friends going on a road trip, amusement park, or beer/music festival. My idea centers around making the game about having as much fun as possible and not really about omorashi but having the bladder element. Obviously constantly using the bathroom would mean missing out on things and potentially annoying the other character (or vice versa). But getting extremely desperate will obviously have negative consequences on both fun and embarrassment. 

I'd love to play a game like this.  However. I know almost nothing about game writing or software.  Curiosity:  would a game engine simplify the task and make writing multiple games easier?  There seem to be a number of free engines -- maybe none suitable:

Ren'Py (consisting of Ren'Py, Ren'Py Demo and The Question).  Ren'Py is the engine, Ren'Py Demon the tutorial and The Question a simple game to be dissected for learning the engine.  It needs still images.  But they don't have to amount to much.

Blender is primarily animation and appears massive overkill for a text game.

MAME is mainly for arcades -- probably weak in text support.

Have not figured out what sort of games play on SLUDGE.

SPRING seems mainly for on-line battle games.

More using Python at

https://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2018/09/13/Python-Game-Engines.aspx

INSTEAD looks promising for text games.  But it's not Python based.

I am only familiar with python. I know nothing about coding in other languages. 

13 hours ago, WiiGuy86 said:

I'd be interested in helping with writing. I've been wanting to make a game like the Melissa or Jenny games that also have some sort of "fun" meter as well as maybe an "embarrassment" meter. 

Couple thing's I've thought of would be 2 female best friends going on a road trip, amusement park, or beer/music festival. My idea centers around making the game about having as much fun as possible and not really about omorashi but having the bladder element. Obviously constantly using the bathroom would mean missing out on things and potentially annoying the other character (or vice versa). But getting extremely desperate will obviously have negative consequences on both fun and embarrassment. 

If you want to put  together an outline that would be cool. I will only be able to work on the game in my spare time, but itll still get done eventually

I too was inspired by Melissa explains it all and was once writing an omo game in Python, GUI and all. I had to stop when my college work began to dominate the majority of my time and I couldn't find the motivation to continue working on the project alone. Message me on Discord, Zorb#8516.

9 hours ago, zimw00t said:

That's like saying I'm pretty good at peeing. Python is pseudo-code that compiles. The syntax is like baby mode to any who's done hardcore C languages or assembly if you're really old school. Yes I am pretentious. Most comp-sci PC master-race people are.

I don't want to derail the thread, but this is both needlessly hurtful and patently false.  Being a master at Python is every bit as impressive as being a master at C.

To the folks in this thread, don't worry so much about whether people will want it---if it's good and omo, people will want it even if you package it as a dadaist sculpture. 🙂  I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of it. 

-comp-sci PC non-racist person.

PS. I've heard great things about RenPy.

2 hours ago, Ranpalan said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but this is both needlessly hurtful and patently false.  Being a master at Python is every bit as impressive as being a master at C.

To the folks in this thread, don't worry so much about whether people will want it---if it's good and omo, people will want it even if you package it as a dadaist sculpture. 🙂  I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of it. 

-comp-sci PC non-racist person.

PS. I've heard great things about RenPy.

yeah you're probably right. that was just 4am me talking. that guy's an idiot.

Edited by zimw00t
added the quote for context (see edit history)
On 5/11/2019 at 6:26 AM, zimw00t said:

That's like saying I'm pretty good at peeing. Python is pseudo-code that compiles. The syntax is like baby mode to any who's done hardcore C languages or assembly if you're really old school. Yes I am pretentious. Most comp-sci PC master-race people are.

I am not a master at python. I have enough knowledge to create a rudimentary game using the standard python library. I do not know pygame or any other libraries atm. I am going into html back end design, and just took a python class.

To be brutally honest, Python is not suited for games. Python is suited for data manipulation and script writing. I learned this the hard way when trying once to write my own text-based omo game. It took me three attempts and two months to get it to a phase where I started to have the game 'playable.' If I was to ever attempt something like this again, I'd use Unity so that I could have the C# language at my side. If what you intend to do is just make another Melissa explains it all clone you should use be using JavaScript.

Here's a screenshot of how far into my project I got before I had to cancel it in favor of dedicating myself fully to my college programming courses instead. The code is very rough as I hadn't taken any formal schooling for coding prior to writing this. I'd rather not show off the code behind the scenes as it's a mess.

I might not even attempt something like this again without a partner to work on a project on.

Edited by 404 NameNotFound (see edit history)

At the risk of derailing this thread any further, and because I wouldn't like FUD to put people off from making a game: Python is fine.  RenPy is great for visual novels.  If what you want to do is make a game and what you know is Python, you're in luck, because Python will work.

(I'm happy to discuss the technical merits of the language, but it would be more fitting in an off-topic thread than here.)

Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Python_software#Video_games) says for example:

- Disney's Toontown Online is written in Python and uses Panda3D for graphics.
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online is written in Python and uses Panda3D for graphics.
- Frets on Fire is written in Python and uses Pygame.

If somebody want make a text game with Python, I don't think that there is any reason why Python couldn't do that.