Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female The water shortage

• 4 weeks later...

Chapter 3. 

“I’m having an emergency!” I cried to Ms. Halfner. I’d always had an inclination that of all the faculty and staff, she was most likely to A) understand the appeals of waiting, and B) have an emergency plan in place. 

“Are you sure it’s an actual emergency?” Ms. Halfner asked. Was she onto me? Was she trying to delay me?

”The scanner said I was at 1795 mL,” I answered. My hand was permanently between legs and I’m fairly certain my body language gave away the rest of the story. 

“Alright, I need to make a call,” She said, heading back to her desk. If I wasn’t bouncing up and down, I’d guess Ms. Halfner was quickly finding herself in a situation similar to my own. She wasn’t making this call for me, she was doing it for herself. She knew if the scanner denied me, it was sure to also deny her. 

While I was lost in this thought, Ms. Halfner had made her call and turned back to me. “Out,” she said with minimal emotion. 

I was confused for a moment until she came over, put her hand on my shoulder, and guided me out of her room, locking it behind her. 

“Where are we going?” I asked as we started to walk. 

“To the nurse’s office,” was all she said, still staring straight ahead. 

Of course! That made sense. “She has an emergency bathroom?” I asked just to make sure. 

“Not quite,” was my response. 

What was it then? Was I in trouble for asking? Was that why she was barely looking at me? And who was that call to? How much trouble could I be in? Plus, I was not going to last much longer, despite being in trouble. 

We got to the nurse’s office and she quickly opened the door just enough for us to slip in, then immediately shut and locked it behind us. 

“This is her?” The nurse, Ms. Adley asked Ms. Halfner. 

Ms. Halfner replied “It is. This is our level 1”. 

“It’s been some a few weeks since I’ve seen a true level 1,” Ms. Adley said, now looking at me. 

“Maddie, right?” She asked. 

“Right,” was all I respond with, scared at what was happening while my bladder throbbed with every movement. 

“What exactly did the scanner say?” She asked. 

“It said my max volume and current, like normal, then denied me,” I said, sliding a hand down my pants, no longer caring what they thought. If they weren’t going to help me, I was going to help myself. 

“What were those volumes, exactly?” The nurse continued to ask, oblivious to both my hand going down, and my current need. 

“1874 and 1795,” I answered shortly, sure I was over 1.8 liters by now. 

“Remarkable,” she whispered.

“Quickly, this way,” She continued on, ushering my behind a drawn curtain at the back of her office. It was the kind they sometimes use at doctor’s offices for privacy around a bed. 

I never, NEVER would have guessed what was sitting behind that curtain. It was something I’d never actually seen in person before. It frightened and embarrassed me to some extent, especially with both Ms. Halfner and Ms. Adley standing right next to me. But most of all, it excited me as it likely meant relief, finally. At least that’s what I hoped it meant. 

Chpt. 4

Sitting there, right in front of myself, Ms. Halfner and Ms. Adley was what I believed was called a bedside commode. I had seen several in the assisted living home my grandma lived in for a while before the new law, but never again after that. 

“I... I don’t understand?” I stammered our. 

“Maddie, go ahead and relieve yourself and then we’ll explain everything,” Ms. Adley encouraged. 

I took a deep breath, shoved my hand between my legs, noticing a wince from Ms. Halfner, and said “Tell me everything first.”

Was I playing with fire (well, technically water)? 

Yes. 

Was I risking losing all control and dignity right where I stood?

Yes. 

Was I going to get the truth?

That was the main variable here. But just the way the two women were so eager for me to go gave me an odd feeling. 

“Maddie,” Ms. Halfner started. “I thought you were having an emergency?”

”I am,” I admitted. “I am having an emergency. My undies are soaked through, my bladder is in a constant state of throbbing, and honestly, I can feel a drip dropping out right now, as we speak.”

“However,” I continued. “Something here isn’t right. I’d rather wet myself than just give in without finding out what’s really happening.”

Ms. Adley and Ms. Halfner looked at each with deep concern before the nurse said “Maddie, you deserve the truth. But it’s actually quite a long story. I can’t imagine you’ll make it through before we have a serious issue on our hands. And the floor. Please, just wee in the commode.”

i wanted to. So bad. I couldn’t remember the last time my bladder was so full, the last time I had to go so bad. I could feel it, a healthy stream pouring out of my exhausted urethra. My bladder no longer throbbing. It was blissful to think about. 

Thinking about though, only made my drenched undies sopping and starting to drip down my leg. I pulled back with all my strength, shoved my hand a little deeper. Anything I could do to hold on a little longer. 

“Give me the basics,” I demanded. 

Ms. Halfner was the first to speak. “When Law 36C and all it’s various components went into effect, the city changed. Better in some ways, worse in others.”

”Obviously clean water availability has skyrocketed since the law was implemented,” Ms. Adley took over. “But with all good things, so to must there be bad.”

”What’s the bad?” I asked, failing to see the downside besides my immediate need. 

“Well with the vast reduction in public facilities, there suddenly became a large amount of unemployed plumbers, maintenance staff and cleaners,” Ms. Halfner said, solemnly. 

“As they became more desperate to support themselves and their families, a proverbial Black Market emerged,” Ms. Adley said. “No physical goods are traded or sold though.”

”So what do they do?” I asked, thoroughly intrigued at this point. Not enough to forget my impending flood though. 

“They trade skills and knowledge,” Ms. Halfner said. “Maddie, they plan to redirect the remaining restroom’s outflow pipes directly to the Capital and flood them out. They’re the resistance.”

I felt myself lose a proper stream. It felt so good but my whole body begged for more release. “Where do I fit into all this?” I asked. 

“They need individuals with bladder capacities over two liters to get enough volume into the system to overwhelm it, and cause the flood at the capital,” Ms. Adley explained. “Since the scanners only let a certain amount of people in each day, each person that goes in on the day of the flood needs to produce as much as possible to make the flood as big and effective as possible.”

”But my bladder isn’t two liters,” I said, feeling another spurt. I was losing my own flood. 

“Not yet,” Ms. Halfner said. “But you’re like me, close enough that you can be trained.”

”I.... I,” I stammered. “I have to go!” I said, ripping down my pants down in front of the two staff members and throwing myself backwards towards the commode. 

I had a lot to think about given this latest information I’d just heard, but for the moment, as my bladder poured itself out into the bucket of the commode, I was at peace. Even if I hadn’t managed to pull my undies down before allowing the stream to flow freely from me. Even if my urethra shuddered in relief in front of Ms. Adley and Ms. Halfner. 

I was on the cusp of something great, even though, at the moment, I was weeing an overflowing bladder into a glorified bucket.