Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Does Drinking Water All At Once make it go to your bladder faster?

I typically drink about 2L of water for a hold, but I read that apparently the kidneys can only produce 1L of urine an hour...? (Meanwhile, a long time ago I also read on WikiHow that "if you drink water all at once, it will force excess water into the bladder.") So will it go to my bladder faster if I drink it all at once, or no? If not, how often should I drink and how much?

Drinking too much water too quickly and frequently isn't good for you. You'll end up with a bad stomach ache and possible vomiting as a side effect. You should probably consider having tea or coffee with meals instead. Once again too much caffeine is not good for your kidneys and could actually make you incontinent later in life.

There is definitely a sweet spot when it comes to drinking for a hold. It's actually pretty helpful to know the path of water through the body, after you drink it goes to your stomach, then your small intestine where most goes to the bloodstream, then it reaches the large intestine and most of the rest is absorbed into the bloodstream as well. Your blood brings fresh water to your cells and brings water carrying waste to the kidneys which process the waste carrying water into urine which is then stored in the bladder. This brings up some of the reasons why drinking massive amounts at once isn't a great idea. First, there is discomfort in your stomach due to filling it with a large volume of liquid quickly. Second, and more seriously, too much water in your bloodstream will dilute it and your cells will lose nutrients like sodium to it to try to maintain a balance, which can cause all sorts of problems. I would suggest trial and error with drinking smaller amounts over an extended time and seeing how fast the drinks go to your bladder, and finding an amount and time period that works best for you. A decent starting place would be to drink .5L an hour and see it takes for that to fill your bladder, and experiment from there. Sorry for the long winded response, but TL;DR drinking lots of water isn't great for you, try drinking a smaller amount with a consistent timing for the time leading up to your hold.

Drinking 'way too much too soon can upset your electrolyte balance (and maybe stop your heart), and you might vomit or have other unpleasant effects.  One-half to three-fourths of a liter per hour should probably be the maximum, and there is a limit as to how much liquid can be absorbed in the intestinal tract and then processed by the kidneys.  These rates will vary from person to person and are also affected by food intake and salt intake, so as suggested above, a little experimentation is in order.  

• 2 months later...

Drinking 1 liter per hour is safe for most people. When I drink 1.5 liter in an hour or less I feel overhydrated - headachey and a little nausea but that's quickly remedied by a bite of banana (potassium), a magnesium supplement and some salty crackers or potato chips (crisps). I find it's best to drink slowly to allow the kidneys to ramp up.

I strongly urge you to not do this with just water. Something with electrolytes replacement like Gatorade . Your symptoms sound like water intoxication like others have said.

Sure drinking copious amounts of liquid fast will make you need to pee quicker, but no matter what your kidneys can only process so much in a given time frame.

Having done it both fast and more gradually, I prefer the later.  Doing it rapidly is mostly right to pain .I  love the growing dull ache in my bladder, building to fully distended pain  , until ....well you know.

• 1 month later...

i usally drink a picture of beer in under a hour at the clubs then go dancing. feels good dancing with a full bladder and it is part of the club experience to have it really full as your dancing and are talking with a lot of people at the club and flirting with them too. if it gets really hard to hold while standing and talking with people i go back to dancing where it is easier to hold and feels better then as i am dancing.  its really nice if i am grinding on someone or they are grabbing me around my waist as they grind on me.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:34 AM, PissFun said:

The girl that does my peeing audio sets for me drinks three pints of room temperature water within about a half hour, her big bladder fills right to the brim within an hour (depending on how hydrated she is) and she's ready for a piss explosion!

That's a lot to take in at once.

I prefer the slow, relentless build-up of waves of omo over the course of the day, rather than drinking a lot at once. I tried that and I felt gross

On 4/1/2019 at 8:15 PM, Kauen-Stadt said:

I typically drink about 2L of water for a hold, but I read that apparently the kidneys can only produce 1L of urine an hour...? (Meanwhile, a long time ago I also read on WikiHow that "if you drink water all at once, it will force excess water into the bladder.") So will it go to my bladder faster if I drink it all at once, or no? If not, how often should I drink and how much?

This is simultaneously simple... and quite complicated.  I am hoping that this will not be as long as I feel it will be.  A lot of people here have already put out some general information and a bit that is over cautious.  I am generally not one to tell people what to do or even offer opinion unless pressured.  I fully believe in just providing what info I can and letting people do them.

Kidneys... Your kidneys do A LOT of different things for your body, mainly regulate minerals and body water levels.  At preferred hydration, your urine looks like slightly watered down lemonade.  At minimum hydration or dehydration, your urine is dark and smells cause their is more "waste" per ml.  When hydrated your urine is almost clear because there is more water pulled from the body that "waste".  Your kidneys NEED water to filter waste, this is why we can survive 6 weeks without food but 3-5 days without water.  You either pull too much water from the cells in your body to excrete waste, or the waste sits and you die from other shit.

Moving on... Your kidneys process ~25% of your body volume of blood per minute, roughly 1.25L.  Generally everything passed through and is reabsorbed through your body.  Your kidneys maintain a balance between sodium, chloride and water (among other things).  Diuretics work by inhibiting the resorption of minerals, there are different types that block different minerals... or the same minerals but in different parts of the kidneys.  So if you block Sodium absorption, you excrete more urine(and chloride and generally potassium, etc) to maintain that special balance.

This also holds true for water.  If you are dehydrated, your body generates "thirst" to encourage/force you to drink untill water balance is achieved.  Once you go over  maximum hydration your kidneys will enter diuresis(increased production of urine) in order to maintain it's water balance.  For most people, your body is mostly water, the majority of which is in or around your cells.  Fat cells hold less water than lean muscle so the actual percentage in regards to bodyweight changes on a person to person basis.  Sodium regulates how much water is in or around these cells.  Hyponatremia occurs when the sodium content of your blood falls below 135mmol/L and this regulation breaks down.  Water Intoxication causes hyponetremia, but not all hyponatremia is caused by overhydration.  In water intoxication the excess water moves to your cells causing them to swell.  Swelling in the brain is bad, m'kay.

Water intoxication, which is what half the posts in this thread are warning about, is incredibly hard to achieve at rest.  It mostly happens with endurance athletes because kidney function will slow down to as much as a 100ml/hr max, so 150ml(5oz gatorade cup) per mile over a marathon in 3 hours creates a 3.5 liter water excess in the body, while this cause hyponatremia, it is generally mild in the 120-134mmol/L range.  Under 120 gets dangerous and under 110 is considered severe and life threatening.  LD50 is called "Median lethal dose", meaning the dose will kill 50% of a group.  The median lethal dose of water for a 165lbs adult male is calculated at 6 liters.  The lady who died during the "wee for wii" contest put down over 6 liters.

Now the fun/interesting stuff.  A normal/healthy person produces 1-3ml of urine, per pound, per hour... so a 150lbs person will make 150-450ml per hour hydration dependent.  A set of adult kidneys, at rest, in diuresis, will generally cap out at a production of 800-1000ml/hr.  It does not take long for the body to notice an imbalance and diuresis will generally kick in at 20-30min and maxes out at about 90 minutes.  Keeping in mind the lethal dose above to start off, as long as you maintain less than .8-1 liter per hour your body can keep up, just keep in mind that the water will also be flushing some minerals, so some sodium intake would be ideal as well.  So in theory, at good/max hydration you can safely drink 1-1.5 liters of water/coffee/whatever to create an imbalance, then drink roughly 200-250ml every 15min to maintain the imbalance and max diuresis until the desired effects have been reached.  Keep in mind, this kicks in about 20-30min and maxes out at 90min, so if starting at empty and generally ramping up you'll like feel it "hitting" around 45-60min and from 90min on it will increase rapidly.

Experiment to help for personal calculations : Empty bladder, drink 1-1.5L of fluid(weight/comfort dependent).  Upon completion, drink 200-250ml every 15min.  Empty bladder again at 90min and measure volume.  Empty/measure again in 30min to calculate "max" production rate.  Repeat after another 30min to check consistency.  As long as you start well hydrated each time, these values should stay relatively consistent, and a drastic change would let you know early that you might have a medical issue.  This should also show you your max production rate and you can adjust the 15min volume for future safety.  On future holds, it would also give you a ballpark at timed intervals of how much you should be holding.  So if you void 650ml at 90min, then 375&400, you know you're producing roughly 775ml maxed and next time at 3 hours you should be holding ~1.8L.

Anyway... sorry for the seminar, hope this helps some folks.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:11 PM, NiagraFalls said:

That's a lot to take in at once.

I prefer the slow, relentless build-up of waves of omo over the course of the day, rather than drinking a lot at once. I tried that and I felt gross

She said that, but she had a lot of pee recording to do for me and they were all long ones, she was trying to do one recording every hour. She's only a small woman and I thought it was incredible that she could hold so much pee (about 1.2 - 1.4 litres) but she did say that her bladder was exhausted after the day's recording!