Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Or jump to the questions at the end.

My first girlfriend (we were both 16) could drink whatever (except did not drink alcohol) and still put 10 to 14 hours between pees.  Dehydrating myself I could barely last 5 to 7 hours.  And that was approaching my age of greatest capacity.  She had a quirk of becoming totally embarrassed at the thought of a stranger seeing her enter a public restroom.  At her home with her sister absent she'd take me with her to the bathroom and think nothing of it.  Peeing at my home was OK.  But at either the high schools she attended -- no way.  Her bladder usually signaled a few hours after a pee.  But it seemed to never send an urgent signal.  With that capacity, I expected her to never leak.

That turned out not quiet right.  An evening after some weeks attending her new high school she wrote about an incident.  A day came when she entered an afternoon class with the usual mild signal.  So she expected to hold the usual three hours until reaching home.  By halfway through class her bladder escalated the signal to impending flood.  She embarrassingly asked permission to leave class.  To her horror the teacher refused and lectured her on being old enough to know her body's needs and attend to them between classes.  She could picture herself wetting in view of 30 classmates.  Seeing her tense to bolt away, the teacher allowed her to leave.  She wrote she made it.  She was humiliated enough by needing to ask leave.  She felt like she'd die reentering that class.  Of course she had to reenter the class the next day.

One desperate incident.  She thought maybe a urinary infection, of which she'd had several.  The next day she told new friends she sometimes got urinary infections.  She peed every couple hours.  Over the weekend she peed on her usual schedule without the frequency she usually had during infections.  I asked about lunch-time liquids.  It might have been the day the lunchroom had free seconds on goat's milk leading the students to a chugging contest.  (She weighted 120 lb and could put down two tumblers without hesitation.  For me it was like watching a person eat a raw horse heart.)  But she couldn't remember which day that happened.  Her near flood remained a mystery.  For a few weeks it remained an isolated incident.

Then the sudden urge hit at an after school study session at a friend's house.  She again became embarrassed, the hid the strong urge by saying she was needed at to help with diner.  She covered the the dozen residential-lot distance and made a bee line for the semiretired outbuilding behind the house.  This time she reported sporting started just before reaching the building.  The school year ended without further surprise urgency.

During the summer break she spent a few days with her relatives in my neighborhood.  We attended one of those mega-single-features lasting nearly as long as a double feature.  We did the usual pig-out on sodas.  She appeared completely comfortable when the movie ended.  But 15 minutes into the 45-minute drive home, "Uh.  I think I should have peed at the movie house."  Me, "Do you need to stop at a burger stand?"  She, "No.  Just get me home."

Then she launched into a running (and rather flirtatious) commentary about her pee-hole pressure hardly ever needed fast attention.  But now she had increasing tummy pressure.  Within ten minutes we reached an abandoned development site overgrown with scott broom.  After a wood lot this was usually her second favorite pee place.  I asked again.  "Directly home."  She went back into the commentary.  I knew she told me about her spring-time experiences because we liked talking pee.  I suspected Intending a massive pee show started this latest incident.  Her main thing was demonstrating her massive pees.  But as this occurred to me, she said, "My tummy really hurts.  I'm about to wet my pants."  Not her usual thing.  And, if her older sister beat us home, certainly not something acceptable.  My girlfriend managed the five minutes to the laundry porch.   But she spurted on her way through the dining room.

The next winter we broke up over family differences.

Soon after that a friend's home health book informed me the "girls" who get so shy they constantly postpone urination for long times sometimes get "lazy bladder" in which the nerves send very little urge until the bladder has nearly reached full stretch.  Another home health book in my circle of friends said girls who distend their bladders too frequently stretch the bladder-wall muscle to the point they can't expel enough urine.  Micro-organisms bread in the retained urine.  These girls may suffer repeating urinary infections.  Both sounded like my girlfriend.

1.  Is "lazy" bladder a folk term for a real condition?

2.  Given that I get the same symptoms after repeated holds (as wimpy as mine are), and they usually persist for months, do guys get these "girly" conditions?

3.  Have other participants here seen these symptoms in others or themselves?

Thank you.

Lazy Bladder Syndrome or underactive bladder is a real condition. It's characterized by large capacity, infrequent urination, and incomplete voiding usually caused by detrusor underactivity. The detrusor is the ring-shaped muscle in the bladder wall that relaxes as the bladder fills, and contracts when we urinate to expel urine. If this muscle isn't contracting properly during urination, you struggle to fully empty your bladder. As a result of constantly having pee (often lots of pee) in the bladder, UTIs are much more likely.

It's not really a "girly" condition - the data I could find indicate it's about equally prevalent in males and females. I don't think having an unusually large bladder or frequently holding it are in and of themselves the cause though. More likely correlated symptoms, rather. Plenty of people do have large bladders and pee rarely, without symptoms of lazy bladder.