Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Peeing vs wetting in public: what does the law say?

If you go to a festival in a city like Ghent and you would pee in public and you get caught, this costs you 60€.

Even if you would stop to do your bussiness on the side of the road, I have heard about people beeing fined because they were peeing in public.

What I was thinking about...

if you would be wetting yourself, would this be on the same law? Either by accident or on purpose, would you get a fine for having an accident/giving into your needs when in a public spot?

111300fa-89b3-11e8-bdaa-15738440447b_web_scale_0.0813954_0.0813953__.jpg

Depends on location. In most states in the U.S. you can be convicted as a sex offender if you expose your genitals to pee in public. In that situation, wetting yourself is the safe way to handle an emergency. Worst case scenario you get a public nuisance misdemeanor or something similar.

Wherever this sign is clearly isn't America so they don't need to worry about becoming a registered sex offender. Thing is, it's still a crime. Peeing freely or wetting yourself is still evacuating urine onto the ground of your current location, and property owners aren't very fond of that.

Also it's hilarious how in that image the woman's pee is bending backwards like she's curving a bullet in that movie Wanted. That's some http://reddit.com/r/badwomensanatomy there.

If wetting oneself is the only legal thing to do if you really have to go in a public place with no bathroom, then I've said it before, they need to do something to make it less shameful and something that a person can get over as easily as spilling a glass of water. (Though this might make less people have the fetish, we'll all still have it) So that they could even deliberately let go if they felt it was the only option. Unlikely to change what's been in everyone's mind forever though.

Far easier to make sure every busy place has a bathroom available, to prevent either situation. Where I live they're pretty good with that and I have never witnessed an accidental wetting.

I mean, it ALMOST has a bit of a fetishy feeling to it, but then it's still people being forced to wet themselves against their will and damage the seat of whatever car they were driving when they get back into it, unless they have some towel or something handy to sit on (unlikely), and have to walk around in public in wet pants.

Yes, there's no crime in being incontinent (though it could be argued you should be wearing a nappy or pad if you might make a mess in public).

If you're seen to be deliberately wetting yourself to cause a scene though I guess there could be some sort of public order offence there? But yeah, if there's no other option in public, probably safer doing it in your pants than exposing yourself.

In such cases there is always a 'common sense' aspect in the law. When you're peing in the middle of a big street, front to everybody, you will definetely meet the consequences. But when you're doing your best to pee as discreet as possible with no toilet around this should not be something really big. 

About wetting yourself - well, I can imagine the factor mentioned above - when you're doing it the the middle of a city, in very demonstrative way it may be consedered as an offence. But just being it wet pants - definetely not. Of course there is an alcohol-related aspect, then you're drunk and in wet pants you may be treated as highly intoxicated with all consequences related with that.

In many areas, the laws against public urination do not require you to be exposing yourself.  The act of urinating in public, in your clothes or otherwise, is all that is outlawed.  Even if the specific criteria of your local public urination laws are not met, often you could still be charged under laws that deal with creating offensive displays, disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, and offensive littering.

Rather than trying to parse the finer points of the law, and try to figure out if something is legal or not, a better question is, could I get arrested for this?  Cops don't know every single nuance of every single law.  If something feels illegal, they are likely to make an arrest and let a prosecutor decide to file charges or not.  If you do find yourself in the position where charges are filed, then you have a very expensive process where you now have to explain to a jury why the law is on your side, the whole ordeal could be reported in your local news media, and even if you end up being right, you still had to go through all that.

All I can picture in my head now is a girl thats in a squat position. She's totally bursting and about to pull her panties down when a cop sees her. She quickly stands back up, asks if wetting her self was illegal and when he says no she just totally soaks her panties, down her legs and makes a huge puddle totally above the law just stood not a care in the world! 🤣

The main problem of outdoor urination are the huge puddles and smell of urine that remains. This is a big problem for almost every big city. Especially for people who are living around. Indeed, sometimes the public toilets are not enough. But there are people for whom it is easier to slip in the nearest bush, instead of trying to find the nearest toilet. I think that the fines in  Ghent are introduced just for these type of people. I don't think that the reason for fines is the prevention of sex offenders, who exposing their genitals in public. Most of the people, especially women, always try to hide somewhere to pee. And fortunately for us, they do not always manage to hide well:-)

About the wetting accidents, these are special cases, which are rarely happening and I don't think that someone could be fined about such thing.

3 hours ago, JMatthews1995 said:

All I can picture in my head now is a girl thats in a squat position. She's totally bursting and about to pull her panties down when a cop sees her. She quickly stands back up, asks if wetting her self was illegal and when he says no she just totally soaks her panties, down her legs and makes a huge puddle totally above the law just stood not a care in the world! 🤣

@TVGuy I got a new scenario for you 🤔😂🤔😂

I understand why you would get fined for peeing in public. Obviously if you pee in public you are exposing your genitals and you could be seen as damaging property depending where you were peeing. Wetting yourself is essentially just having wet clothes, very much the same as if you get caught out in the rain. If you wet yourself in public you are doing no harm to anyone except yourself. The only thing other people will see is you wetting your clothes, they aren't seeing anything inappropriate or indecent. 

There’s got to be a lawyer or cop on here that can answer this lol? I’ve also wondered this myself. But I dont think you could be charged fort wetting yourself. I think a police Officer would be a nervous to do so Incase of inducing embarrassment or that person has a disability for moral reasons and possible lawsuit reasons. Unless someone did it in some kind of purposeful and devious manner, which probably would be some disorderly conduct charge. I will say though if your noticed in wet pants you probably will be questioned just to make sure your not intoxicated or having some kind of medical/ mental issue.