Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

The Silver Key

Guest drenna

Hello! This is my first crack at an interactive story! I decided after reading so many amazing interactive stories that I wanted to try one out myself. Sorry for the utter lack of omo in this first chapter, but I promise there will be more in later entries! Fair warning though, story and characters will most likely take more priority over omo most of the time.

Not all entries will be this long, and some will be even longer. I'm just going to go with the flow with this one and write as I go along. I sincerely hope you all enjoy!! ? 

Chapter 1

All was quiet at the Ainsworth Estate. 

Victor, the man of the house, was finally going to sleep after a long evening in his study. Maria, his wife, had been sleeping soundly for a few hours now. She stirred from her rest and sleepily smiled at her husband as he settled into bed beside her. The two fell into a peaceful slumber only minutes later.

With all the servants resting in their quarters as well, only one resident of the house was left awake. 

Arabella Ainsworth sat straight up, having heard her parents' bedroom door shut.

"Finally." She muttered. 

The young girl hopped down from her large and plush bed, already pulling her nightgown over her head. She had to be quick and quiet, lest someone in the house woke up or came to check on her before she could leave. 

She rushed over to her mahogany wardrobe, swinging the doors open and pushing aside a few dresses. Hidden in back corner of the wardrobe was a well-worn leather bag, a set of clothes, and finally, a silver rapier, stolen from her father's armory. The girl still couldn't believe he hadn't noticed it was missing. 

Arabella hurriedly put on her clothes, a simple white blouse with brown pants and a belt, before slipping on her knee-high boots. To complete her outfit, she fished her long, dark green overcoat out of her wardrobe as well. She put it on and pulled her curly, brown hair out of the collar. After clipping the sheathed rapier to her waist, Arabella slung her bag over her shoulders and took a deep breath. She was ready. It was time to go. 

"Oh, wait." She whispered to herself.

The girl shrugged off her backpack and rummaged through it, pulling out a large envelope. "To Mother and Father," it read. She placed it on the pillow of her bed. 

Once she'd taken one last look at her room, Arabella ventured out into the halls of her soon to be former home. She sneaked down the spiral staircase she used to run up and down as a child, past the kitchen where her mother used to make breakfast every morning, and finally, to the front door. Arabella glanced behind her once more, knowing that she still had the chance to go back. She could simply go back upstairs and climb into bed. No one would be any the wiser in the morning. 

"No." She thought, clenching her fists. "I can't stay here." 

Taking another deep breath, Arabella opened the front door, and took the first step of her journey. 

...................................................................................................................................................................................

It took a while to get off of her family's property, but eventually, Arabella felt that it was safe to rest. She sat down on the forest floor, looking up to the star filled sky above. The moon was high in the sky, casting a silvery light on the land below. The moonlight combined with the sight and sound of the trees rustling in the wind gave the forest an ethereal atmosphere. A perfect beginning to a grand adventure, in Arabella's opinion. She smiled to herself, butterflies running rampant in her stomach. Finally, after so many years of longing, she was free. Free to explore the world. Free to become whoever she wanted to be. But first, she had to get as far away from home as possible.  

Arabella stood up and stretched a bit. As she did, she felt a tiny pang from her lower abdomen. Shoot, she knew she'd forgotten to do something before she left! 

The girl shifted in place a bit, gauging her need. It wasn't too bad, and Arabella had confidence she'd be able to make it to the nearby town and find a proper privy before she was forced to do anything...indecent. She pulled out her map and compass, checked to make sure she was still going the right way, and continued down the path. 

Not too much later, Arabella was making her way through the forest when something caught her attention. The sound of a twig snapping. She whipped around, hand already resting on her rapier's handle, but saw nothing. She listened for a few seconds more, straining her ears, and heard some leaves rustling in the same direction. 

What did Arabella do?

A) It's probably just an animal. Let your guard down and continue walking

B) It's probably nothing...but just in case... Continue walking, but keep your guard up

C) Hey, who's there?! Stand your ground and unsheathe your rapier

D) I'll strike first! Try and pinpoint the source of the noise, and attack 

E) Oh, fuck this. Attempt to run away