Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Governor Northman Blackface Controversy

Quite agree with the "mountains out of molehills" take on this matter. What does it even matter? If I were to put on a bear costume, would I be considered insensitive to bears? Are cosplayers being insensitive to the Japanese? Should Al Roper (famous black weatherman in U.S.A.) be shamed for white-facing with his great halloween costume last year? This is all just really stupid.

8 hours ago, Imouto Kitten said:

At the risk of getting flamed, I'm leaning towards this being typical making mountains out of molehills mudslinging that is so common in American Politics. Bit surprising to hear of both ruling parties being united in their juvenile harassment of an elected official instead of one side immaturely bashing him while the other side defends him in a game of "you suck, no you suck" that would have bickering children on the playground shaking their heads in shame.

But meh, that's American politics for you. No one can muster a logical argument for or against any particular politician's policy stances, so everyone resorts to name calling and blowing trivia completely out of proportion in an attempt to discredit politicians they don't like instead of putting any effort into discrediting their ideas.

And in case it isn't obvious, while I'm well aware of how black face was abused back in the day, I don't believe that diminishes it as a legitimate visual effect nor do I agree with the kneejerk reaction that all uses of it are intended to be racist, and I do not support censorship that would have all films that employed the technique purged from the history of cinema.

Yes, I agree with this stance. It's just a distraction from the real problems of this world we should be worrying about. 

On 2/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, diokno44x said:

Hell, people are saying Mary Poppins was racist due to the scene of the chimney sweeper getting soot all over his face, and people are calling it blackface

An interesting issue - as appreciators of fine omo, what would we think of the application of "political correctness" to censor our interests? Too much is too much!

Anyone thought of making USA truly democratic by requiring everyone to vote? Some countries do this already, and it's not considered an infringement on their right of choice.

44 minutes ago, blasseroz said:

Yes, it does appear on the surface to have more characteristics of an Oligarchy. So why is Democracy referenced so often?

Well, America is, in part, a constituional democracy, or a democratic republic. Hell, a number of the Founders WERE against the party system in the first place, however, things eventually became the way they were, then you to the electoral college