Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

I am going to have no toilet for a day or so

So my landlord has just called. I noticed recently that an outside pipe was leaking and he came round to look. It’s the waste pipe from my toilet. 

The problem is that this house is old and the pipes are so old they are cast iron. Soto fix the issue properly the landlord is taking all the old outside pipework and replacing them with plastic ones. 

Hes called to say I can’t use the upstairs bath, shower, sink or toilet during the work. There is no other bathroom in the house. 

It may take a day or it may need two. 

I guess I will need to use the local supermarket loos or hold on. 

Any ideas? 

39 minutes ago, GreenChile said:

I'm voting for hold on, maybe you can recreate that dorm story ? 

I like your thinking! It should be later this week and the weather is due to rain and be very windy so heading to the supermarket would not be very pleasant. Holding on seems far better to me

Edited by Mbgpeelover (see edit history)
1 hour ago, Mbgpeelover said:

So my landlord has just called. I noticed recently that an outside pipe was leaking and he came round to look. It’s the waste pipe from my toilet. 

The problem is that this house is old and the pipes are so old they are cast iron. Soto fix the issue properly the landlord is taking all the old outside pipework and replacing them with plastic ones. 

Hes called to say I can’t use the upstairs bath, shower, sink or toilet during the work. There is no other bathroom in the house. 

It may take a day or it may need two. 

I guess I will need to use the local supermarket loos or hold on. 

Any ideas? 

I say challenge your bladder hehe

8 minutes ago, homeanddry said:

My vote is for holding on (with a pot of some sort as an absolute last resort!) - but are landlords legally allowed to do that?!

I guess so? They are great landlords actually and suggested I visit a friend or go shopping but I would prefer to be home as have things to do. They have promised to get the outlet pipe fixed as soon as possible. 

6 minutes ago, Wombat48 said:

Try holding it

always fall back on a bucket as a last resort? 

So much easier for us boys!! ?

Yes! Sometimes being a man has many advantages lol

11 minutes ago, Bulge_Lover said:

Well I mean, if something breaks the landlord doesn't exactly have a choice lol

Murder victim: "How did you shoot me, that's illegal!"

Well, it sounds like it’s broken but functioning, so personally I’d expect a landlord to plan the repairs to make sure that their tenants had access to at least basic sanitation overnight (unless their tenants happen to be up for a bit of omo fun, of course).

22 minutes ago, homeanddry said:

Well, it sounds like it’s broken but functioning, so personally I’d expect a landlord to plan the repairs to make sure that their tenants had access to at least basic sanitation overnight (unless their tenants happen to be up for a bit of omo fun, of course).

Just for the record he very much hopes to get it done in a day and will do all he can to make sure I have access to the bathroom overnight even if just a temporary repair...but if there’s no pipe there’s not much he can do. I am sure if I said I needed a hotel etc he would pay but I much prefer to stay home and do my best. It’s only a very short time really...

25 minutes ago, Mbgpeelover said:

Just for the record he very much hopes to get it done in a day and will do all he can to make sure I have access to the bathroom overnight even if just a temporary repair...but if there’s no pipe there’s not much he can do. I am sure if I said I needed a hotel etc he would pay but I much prefer to stay home and do my best. It’s only a very short time really...

Yeah, that’s all fair enough. I didn’t mean to start a big debate about it (sorry!) - it just sounded really dodgy at first! Can we just enjoy the challenge now? ?