Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

How "common" is incontinence in young people?

Hey all, hope you are having a great day!

I think this is a preety interesting topic to discuss, and if there are people here that work in medical environments or actual incontinents here, please share some of your experience or thoughts!!

I always wonder how "common" incontinence is in young people, and how many of this people have to wear protection on a daily basis.

It's known that older people might suffer from incontinence more often than younger people, but, does it happen in young and healthy people too? And how often does this condition happen in them? For example, out of 10.000 young individuals, how much of them suffer from incontinence, in a level that requires using protection? And is this problem more common in girls or guys?

And finally, if there are treatments that exist to cure incontinence, why does people end wearing diapers or some type of protection?

Sorry for all the questions guys, i'm just very curious about this. Have a great week you all! ?

Edited by nicobulat (see edit history)

It depends on your definition, really. According to the Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality, about 20-30% of "young" women (probably 20s and 30s) have urinary incontinence, but they define that as urinary leakage at least once in the past year.

(https://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/features/incontinence-womans-little-secret#1)

Phoenix Physical Therapy says approximately 24% of women between 18 and 44 experience incontinence ( http://phoenixpt.com/statistics/ )

I have a couple 20s-friends who wear pantyliners in their panties every day for bladder leakage they deal with. 

10 hours ago, girliegirl765 said:

It depends on your definition, really. According to the Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality, about 20-30% of "young" women (probably 20s and 30s) have urinary incontinence, but they define that as urinary leakage at least once in the past year.

(https://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/features/incontinence-womans-little-secret#1)

Phoenix Physical Therapy says approximately 24% of women between 18 and 44 experience incontinence ( http://phoenixpt.com/statistics/ )

I have a couple 20s-friends who wear pantyliners in their panties every day for bladder leakage they deal with. 

As an addendum to this, I've seen a statistic thrown around that overall 10% of women with incontinence wear some type of product for it. (Specifically, I've seen this figure quoted in adult diaper ads, so take it with a flake of kosher salt). That would imply maybe 2-3% of young women wear incontinence products. Of those, I imagine the vast majority use liners and thin pads.

Definitely more common in women, typically due to pregnancy and childbirth - in most cases it's mild and/or treatable, and the likely products used are light pads or at most pull-up incontinence knickers, but there are rarer examples of women who lose their bladder control completely and end up in nappies for longer than their children, perhaps permanently.

Edited by nappypants (see edit history)

I was incontinent up until my last few years of middle school, i didnt wet myself thankfully but my urethra wasnt strong and i would leak so much that my underwear would be extremely wet by the end of the day even if i didnt have to pee, and it made me uncomfortable and embarrassed to go to school, i wore pads a majority of my childhood to help.

course funny story because i didnt wanna take medicine to fix it, my mom got me these tiny mints with arrows on them and told me these were chewable pills to help with my leak problems, and i took a mint everyday not even realizing it was a mint since i was young and for a bit i stopped leaking ( dont ask me how, to this day i still don’t understand how it worked) 

8 hours ago, Brittanybunny said:

course funny story because i didnt wanna take medicine to fix it, my mom got me these tiny mints with arrows on them and told me these were chewable pills to help with my leak problems, and i took a mint everyday not even realizing it was a mint since i was young and for a bit i stopped leaking ( dont ask me how, to this day i still don’t understand how it worked)  

This is called the placebo effect, in case you weren't aware.

1 in 4 women have or will have bladder issues in their life.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:11 AM, Brittanybunny said:

I was incontinent up until my last few years of middle school, i didnt wet myself thankfully but my urethra wasnt strong and i would leak so much that my underwear would be extremely wet by the end of the day even if i didnt have to pee, and it made me uncomfortable and embarrassed to go to school, i wore pads a majority of my childhood to help.

And your mom is clever! I think I can guess why you didn't want to take your medicine, can I ask what you were on?

As a tween I bedeet and one of the boys I hung out with told an embarrassing bed wetting story on himself.

A girl on the high-school bus told a story on another girl who wet on the bus. Anther day a girl turned to another girl and quite seriously said she would wet during the walk from the stop to her house.  A different high school girl told about a senior girl wetting during a long drive after a beer party. 

The first place I boarded the landlady's tween daughter bedwet. She didn't try to hide it. Her early teen sister day wet and may have bedwet, too.A ccouple years later a woman I tented with warned me she was a bedwetter. 

I can easily accept Rachael's statistic. 

On 11/21/2018 at 2:52 PM, rachelkirwan said:

1 in 4 women have or will have bladder issues in their life.

And your mom is clever! I think I can guess why you didn't want to take your medicine, can I ask what you were on?

I wasnt taking medicine at all, I was only in first grade when i had these problems, and i was too scared of the idea of swallowing a pill, like supernerd said it was a placebo effect, kinda tricking your mind into thinking something works until it does

14 hours ago, Brittanybunny said:

I wasnt taking medicine at all, I was only in first grade when i had these problems, and i was too scared of the idea of swallowing a pill, like supernerd said it was a placebo effect, kinda tricking your mind into thinking something works until it does

You didn't have to use the nasal spray did you?

I’ve had urge incontincince since a young age at first the urge would hit and I wouldn’t be able to hold it then as I got older I became more tolerable to the pain which bought me a little bit of time before I lost it and then after having my kids my bladder control is shot. I wear protection at work but normally I’ll have to run to a rest room / pop a squat outdoors if the urge hits 

21 hours ago, princesspee27 said:

I am a trans fem but still male biologically, 26 about to be 27 soon, and I suffer from spasms and mild incontinence. I have to be careful how much coffee or alcohol I intake and make sure I can get to a bathroom, because I dont just leak, it comes exploding out out me. Ive had numerous accidents as a kid and an adult

That doesn't sound like mild incontinence to me..

On 11/26/2018 at 1:42 PM, gtg2468 said:

I’ve had urge incontincince since a young age at first the urge would hit and I wouldn’t be able to hold it then as I got older I became more tolerable to the pain which bought me a little bit of time before I lost it and then after having my kids my bladder control is shot. I wear protection at work but normally I’ll have to run to a rest room / pop a squat outdoors if the urge hits 

Have you considered going into nappies or pull-ups full time?