Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Holding for alertness

This may be be a bit of an odd question, but has anyone intentionally held to keep awake, such as driving late at night?

I had actually done this last night while returning from a late event. I've developed a bit of an issue staying up late due to the current rigors of my job, and feeling the desperation seemed to help keep me awake to get home.  I'm certainly not recommending this for people to try as a means of avoiding a good night's sleep, but curious if anyone else has ever done this?

• 1 month later...

There really have been studies done on this subject, and the conclusion is that at least up to a point, needing to pee makes you concentrate more sharply.  There was also a study that demonstrated that when your bladder is full you can lie more convincingly.

In my college days, while trying to complete a paper due the next day, I would drink coffee and caffeinated soda to keep awake and made as few trips to the toilet as humanly possible.  Fortunately, that was when my bladder was more flexible.

26 minutes ago, Spectator9 said:

In my college days, while trying to complete a paper due the next day, I would drink coffee and caffeinated soda to keep awake and made as few trips to the toilet as humanly possible.  Fortunately, that was when my bladder was more flexible.

Just as you mentioned, I remember acting accordingly when I was in college. Preparing papers last-minute and working well into the night was 'facilitated' by a full bladder that kept me from drifting off to sleep. The usual and well-known benefits of caffeine added to the self-inflicted urge to pee by postponing voiding as long as possible.

I have done this while driving at night and also when working during the night as well. It only seems to help until the need becomes so urgent, that it makes it hard to focus on anything else.

The key to making it work I think, is to know how full your bladder needs to be, to help you stay alert and focused, without allowing it to get too full, which only causes it to become a distraction.

Edited by Anubis (see edit history)
56 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I have done this while driving at night and also when working during the night as well. It only seems to help until the need becomes so urgent, that it makes it hard to focus on anything else.

The key to making it work I think, is to know how full your bladder needs to be, to help you stay alert and focused, without allowing it to get too full, which only causes it to become a distraction.

I found merit in looking into it this way. The only problem is once you pass the point of super desperation you need to empty your bladder and then you lose the positives as well.

32 minutes ago, Gemgirl said:

I found merit in looking into it this way. The only problem is once you pass the point of super desperation you need to empty your bladder and then you lose the positives as well.

That is an excellent point. Now that I think about it a bit more, there's also the risk of having a huge mess to deal with, if someone ends up being desperate, when they are in a situation that prevents them from being able to empty their bladder voluntarily. Not only would they lose the benefits of holding, but they would end up with a new problem to deal with on top of it.

Perhaps there are better ways to maintain focus, eh?