Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Phobias

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm afraid of a lot of stuff but I'm not sure how many of my fears could be classified as phobias, if any. It would probably be easier to list what I am not afraid of but anyway.

I'm afraid of falling asleep. That time between being awake and being asleep feel extremely scary and I easily become very/too aware of my body. I feel how my heart is beating and it feels like it slows down while my breathing starts to get heavier and deeper and then I start to feel like I need to breathe manually and feel like my heart is just gonna slow down so long that it stops at some point. World around me feels like disappearing or I feel like I was going to disappear. My body gets heavy and it's hard to move it. I'm scared that I paralyze or die if I fall asleep. At some point I saw almost only nightmares and had a lot of sleep paralyzes so that also worsened my fear. There's many other problems I have with sleeping but this is one of the reasons I don't like to "go to sleep" and rather just be awake as long as I can't anymore and fall asleep so fast I won't even notice it. 

I'm afraid of narrow and/or closed spaces. Like elevators. If I manage to sleep in bedroom, I can't sleep with the closed door. I am also somehow afraid of heights and I hate ferris wheels.

I'm afraid of crowded areas. I have run out of stores and bars and nightclubs etc too many times because of panic attacks I've gotten. 

I'm afraid of losing my mind. Or that I already have and non of what I'm experiencing is real. 

I'm afraid of "exhibition" of my mind and doings. Like someone, I don't who, just someone, could see what I think or do. I become extremely nervous if I happen to think something even slightly negative about someone else and end up explaining it in my mind like I was trying to explain it to that person in question. 

I'm afraid of isolation. 

I'm afraid of getting hurt. Like I'm not afraid that I trip and get a scar but rather have issues trusting that others won't hurt me. Sometimes I get these feelings when I believe that everyone's sole purpose is to hurt/destroy me. I've had ridiculous thoughts about my close relatives. As youngster I often was afraid that my dad will kill me yet there was absolutely no any reason for that fear. I'm pretty paranoid online and constantly need to convince myself that everyone and probably non is alias of someone I know irl who's trying to expose my secrets and identity and that way going to hurt me. (However I'm still really open and could be probably recognized by those who knows a lot of me anyway)

I'm afraid of clowns, dolls, some paintings, mirrors at some rate, bees, spiders, snakes, bugs in general, destructive fires, darkness, discomfort, getting panic attack, getting epileptic seizure, dying/getting killed and the list goes on and on and on.

Honorable mention to L'appel du vide.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:15 PM, Brittanybunny said:

Ophidiophobia: fear of snakes

arachnophobia: fear of spiders

basophobia: fear of falling

astrapophobia: fear of thunder and lightning 

coulrophobia: fear of clowns

mastigophobia: fear of being beaten or abused

Belonephobia: fear of needles

So...a clown snake with 8 legs punching you off a cliff towards a pit of needles while in a thunderstorm is the perfect scary image for you?

Anyway. I don't really have...phobias? Spiders? Nah I put em outside. Snakes? I think they are beautiful. Water? I have 13 swimming diplomas. Darkness? I actively seek it out. Lightning? Love it. Clowns? Whatever. Open or narrow spaces? No problem.

I guess the only real thing I can think of as of right now is:

14 hours ago, Damnation said:

Honorable mention to L'appel du vide.

But even then I really like heights, looking down into dark, deep holes, whether I can see the bottom or not, is one of my favourite things. I'm not scared of death. I guess maybe fear of the people close to me dying? Yeah, that's really the only thing I can think of right now. Guess I'm a fearless monster with no emotion because I'm so mentally and emotionally damaged by my depression fear does not affect me as much or as severely as it does others.

• 6 months later...

I dont really think I have any 'genuine' phobias. There's alot that makes me uncomfortable and anxious.

In terms of things that unsettle me: large spindly spiders. I can deal with tarantulas, I actually think they're quite cool. But living in Australia, where so much area is bush land, we get these colossal orb weaving spiders known as Golden Orb Weavers. And my god are they hideously worrying for me. Notorious for a picture of one of them a while ago having caught and killed a small bird.

The dark. Pretty common fear. Mostly gotten over it as I've gotten older, but I still make a rush for bed when I'm the last one awake and all the lights are off.

Elevators. Debatably the most unusual one. I can tolerate small ones, like one or two floors. But when they start going up to 20 levels, 30 levels, etc, just no. I get nervous, start losing my breath, I clench to the handrails. I just cant stand it.

Fears

• spiders and wasps
  • heights (includes 2 sub catagories):
  1. being upside down while high up
  2. decending fast from a high place
  • being in a tight or enclosed space with a lot of strangers (I'm fine though if its friends and close family members)
  • demons like the ones from the movies the Grudge series or the Ring series
  • looking out peepholes on doors (this happened after I saw the movie One Missed Call)
  • Driving on the highway or somewhere I've never driven before (I'm fine if someone else is driving though)
  • sitting on public toilets (mainly due to a possibly irrational fear of catching a disease)
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2019 at 8:44 AM, gladonfiyor said:

A fear of blood.

Large or even small amount of blood gives me woozy feeling. First time when I found my GF's blood stained panties in hamper, I fainted.

Guess not really a popular phobia.

Its popular, just not talked about I guess as often but its known to be popular, i kinda have the same phobia except im not woozy if its me, but seeing large amounts of blood on someone else freaks me out

Germaphobia

Myriapodophobia (fear of centipeds and millipedes)

Entomophobia  (fear of bugs, but specifically bed bugs, lice, scabies)

Parasitophobia

I'm also terrified of elevators and am scared of rodents, but they're not on the phobia level. I'm a weirdo; I actually like snakes and spiders (much more common phobias) but all this other crap can go to hell and stay there imho. Lol

Panphobia/Panophobia/Omniphobia/Pantophobia

It's a term that kinda falls between meaning two things, which both describe it well enough for me to have it:

1. A persistent fear of some evil unknown, though it's unclear what it is (I'm scared of something that probably isn't there, and I don't even know what it is)

2. A fear of generally everything, where something could be horrifying to me one day and perfectly fine by me in a week (somewhere in my brain is a bunch of normal phobias with on/off buttons, and someone's just pressing them rensomly from time to time)

So basically, it's anxiety turned into some kind of awful phobia.