Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What's with wake-up desperation?

Sometimes on days off I wake up noticing that I have to pee pretty badly so I decide to hold it for some desperation play but it seems to quickly subside and take forever to return regardless of how much liquid I intake. It'll be to a point where I drank a lot the previous night, and then wake up and drink 3 or 4 cups of coffee and a few cups of water and still it doesn't ever seem to get much worse, or at least takes forever to do so. Does anyone else experience this?

When you are asleep the kidneys produce much less urine, and the normal got-to-pee feeling when you wake up is probably more habit than need, so it might take a lot of liquid input to become real.  I would think, however, if you drank a lot of liquid before bedtime, you'd wake up (probably early) and really need to go.  

From what you have said, I'd guess that you could routinely wait until noontime for your first pee of the day.

2 hours ago, Fred46888 said:

From what you have said, I'd guess that you could routinely wait until noontime for your first pee of the day.

That is exactly what I propose: try to break the habit of peeing in the morning just because you always went. If you don't feel to much of an urge on getting up, wait until it really becomes annoying. If you can reach noon for a start after some time you also may be able to refrain until late afternoon or even dinner time. If you are lucky you may be able to adapt to a twice-a-day-or-less scheme like I did and do: I hardly ever go for a leak until I feel an annoying urge or an irritating pressure down there.  And if you happen to react like me you might learn to appreciate the feelings of a full bladder the better part of the day.

I do!  I have only recently started skipping my morning pee and I find that it really only takes an hour or two off the total time it would normally take me to fill up, and I require the same amount of liquids to get there.  Annoying, if I'm honest!  I now regularly make it well past noon if I'm not drinking extra and have started doing so daily (I work from home) for a bit of "training!"

I think this depends on a lot of things.

Yes the kidneys slow down while you are asleep, but your bladder's emptying reflex is dulled as well.  So some people end up with a quite distended bladder and can't last much past the time they wake, while others haven't quite managed to fill up.  And we wake up after having not had any liquids for many hours ... it's no wonder that what you wake up with is what you get ... whatever that is.  It takes hours for our tissues to rehydrate and our bladders to begin filling again.

If I don’t pee as soon as I get up in  the morning I will wet myself. I have only one or two minutes to get to the bathroom or it’ll be too late  

I actually hate wetting myself with my morning pee as it is so strong - I much prefer wetting with nice clean clear pee.

As others have noted it takes time to rehydrate your body and start producing pee again at a reasonable rate after a night’s sleep.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the micro-necro, but I'm super onto this topic right now.

It is a very common experience. When I was in boot camp, we would be required to drink a whole canteen of water right before bed, and we were very tired so we'd sleep all night and then wake up with a strong urge to pee. It was pretty universal. One time the final shift firewatch didn't get out of bed and the rest went to sleep so I was the only person on firewatch, I couldn't wake anyone until finally the DI found out and got everybody to get up and stand on the line, standing perfectly still while he chewed us out for the behavior. Within a few seconds, three of the guys wet themselves. I'm pretty sure I'd have been a fourth if I hadn't have already been awake for a while.

I think while you're asleep, your body relaxes your bladder and tightens your sphincter, thus making it easier to hold your urine. But when you wake up, the urgency increases as the sphincter relaxes and the bladder tightens. Then after a while it goes back to normal. Usually this just makes you rush to the bathroom when you get up, but if you have the right amount of desperation when you have the right amount of sleepiness, you can fit within a threshold in which you lose bladder control within a few seconds of waking.

I wish melatonin had the same diuretic effect that caffeine has. That way I could learn the right amount of melatonin and water to trigger a morning wetting. I love morning wettings but they are so rare. =(

I have experienced one morning wetting in boot camp and a couple more in my drinking/partying days, but with alcohol it has been much more common that I wake up drenched in pee. It is very difficult to measure and time the alcohol right primarily because it moves through you so fast. You have to get pretty drunk to get your bladder going repeatedly, so it'll keep going for long enough to sleep through it. Then you have to wait a while until you've begun to pee less frequently. Then you have to hope you didn't overdo the alcohol and cause excessive delirious sleep, which will just make you wet yourself without waking. And trying over and over again to get it right is quite hard on your liver.

Caffeine has a nice diuretic effect that works more slowly than alcohol and is a lot less drastic. It's more gentle on your system, and usually just gives you one single full bladder. I wonder if there's some non-stimulant similar diuretic I can combine with melatonin (or just normal sleep) to get the effect I am seeking. I tried diuretic tablets from the pharmacy (made to relieve feminine bloating) (I think it was called Diurex?) and I do not recommend these! They took days to take effect, they changed the taste of my saliva and the smell of my breath to the smell/flavor of a urinal cake. During the effect, my body couldn't retain water. I didn't have to pee suddenly, rather instead the water would just run through my intestine and give me painful diarrhea. I was constantly dehydrated for the next few weeks until it began to wear off. I didn't feel the slightest bit of bladder stress during this time.

If any of you know a better diuretic, please recommend it! And maybe someday I will write a fantasy story about a world in which melatonin is the perfect diuretic. I can think of several premises already:
 - a chemist-y type goes for an experimental night while alone at home
 - an unfortunate small-bladdered person takes melatonin without reading the info
 - a slightly-creepster slips melatonin into peoples' drinks just to make them pee themselves when they fall asleep
 - someone wakes up early, still groggy from the melatonin, and begins a desperate search for a place to pee, struggling against their drowsiness all the way
 - a person on melatonin wakes up to pee but their sleepiness causes reality and dreams to merge, so they must analyze clues around them to make it to the bathroom without sleepwalk-peeing in the wrong place
 - a woman has to get an ultrasound--she is told to arrive with a full bladder. She gets a crafty idea: holding pee is easier while sleepy, right? (she doesn't know melatonin is a diuretic in this universe)
 - someone accidentally mixes up their pills and takes melatonin instead

Feel free to write a story with any of these prompts or your own, and if you write one about this, please PM me about it! ?

• 4 years later...

1. The moment you wake up, you'll feel the urge much stronger than it actually is. That's because you suddenly feel it at once (instead of gradually increasing while awake). After a few minutes, you'll get used to the urge, so it seems to subside.

2. Also, it takes time for the liquid intake to become pee. You took zero intake while sleeping for several hours. So, even if you start drinking right after waking up, it will take hours for the urge to substantially increase again.

Edited by koyukoyu (see edit history)

There are 2 factors.. depending on hydration.. if you have drank much in evening amd empty bladder before bed then morning pee can be held longer,

However if you've been really well hydrated and/or missed evening wee the bladder would be very full and pee will be more concentrated , which irrates so morning pee is super desperate which leads to some people *ahem* not always making it... even worse if there's been alcohol as this also irrates the bladder... 

After sleeping around 7 hours I normally wake up with a pleasantly  uncontrollably full bladder. On occasion it is painfully distended.  I love these sensations. Upon standing it seems gravity does its part and my pee rushes towards the exit. However like you said  if ignored it relaxes for a bit.

I think this is partially due to position change of standing up. But perhaps the bigger factor is similar to latch key desperation,  where your bladder anticipates relief and starts to relax prematurely. 

I have made it a habit to extend this great full bladder and or my pee is about to come out sensation by starting my morning routine before going. It usually calms down without a leak, although sometimes I leak but just a little.

I usually just go then. Once and a while I decide to keep holding my morning pee eating breakfast and drinking 3 big mugs of tea.  I can  then usually hold it for a few hours before the bladder busting , I have to pee now or I will wet my pants desperation returns. Most times I just go then to get on with my day without having to clean up a mess. But there are times when I have nothing to do, am enjoying the desperate holding, I will just continue to hold my pee until I can't and it comes out on its own. The time varies depending on various factors including what else I have drank , before bed and the morning.  I can if I really try usually last until late morning. 

I would not recommend trying to hold your pee all day or only going twice a day. This puts you at serious risk for permanent kidney and urinary track including bladder damage that you will regret later in life. 

Sorry for the buzz kill , but I warn because I care. Enjoy holding your pee and even wetting your pants . Just everything in moderation. 

I rarely wake up desperate because if I drink a lot I usually end up peeing pretty quickly so if I drink before going to sleep I usually end up getting up several times to go to the bathroom before actually falling asleep. But if I do fall asleep quickly I usually wake up having to go pretty badly. And I rarely sleep for more than an hour and a half at a time without waking up at least once to go to the bathroom.