Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

A Question Regarding Fiction

So I just wanted to know if there are any site rules on fans of particular stories carrying them on after they're essentially "dead" and the author/s have stopped updating them? Is that against the rules or not?

For example, if someone wanted to carry on "The Prodigal Princess" or "Master and Servant", is that allowed? Say for instance if for a story like that, someone titled a new chapter/part: "Master And Servant - Fan Continuation" and then wrote several of their own additional chapters. Is that okay? Yay or nay?

Personally, I would attempt to get permission from the original author if possible - not because I think it’s a “must”, just that it would be polite and good manners to do so. 

Otherwise I would do as suggested above. Create a new thread making it clear that it is based on or a continuation of another author’s work with a link to the original story. 

Not sure what the rules are but I think this would be good practice and that no reasonable person would be too upset if you did this. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2018 at 1:07 PM, FishIII said:

So I just wanted to know if there are any site rules on fans of particular stories carrying them on after they're essentially "dead" and the author/s have stopped updating them? Is that against the rules or not?

For example, if someone wanted to carry on "The Prodigal Princess" or "Master and Servant", is that allowed? Say for instance if for a story like that, someone titled a new chapter/part: "Master And Servant - Fan Continuation" and then wrote several of their own additional chapters. Is that okay? Yay or nay?

That's fanfiction. Label it clearly as fanfiction, give credit to the original author, and, if possible, ask him/her for permission. Then post.