Panties or knickers, what do you call them?

5 minutes ago, liesjeversteven said:

I call it broekje...

What the hell is that?

3 hours ago, OmoNinja said:

What the hell is that?

According to google translate, something free to use for everyone, its Dutch (aka from He Netherlands) and it means underwear or shorts or something along those lines, basically what we call panties or knickers. 

Knickers, since it's the standard name for them in UK.

Panties. However, two of my second ex wife's friends always, and my ex wife occasionally, extend 'panties' to include men's underwear. 

2 hours ago, Stanley79 said:

Panties. However, two of my second ex wife's friends always, and my ex wife occasionally, extend 'panties' to include men's underwear. 

That's disgusting!

Me and my lover call them panties, when i think of knickers i think of like underwear that look like puffy shorts that a lot of old people wear, where as panties are that bikini shape underwear

2 hours ago, OmoNinja said:

That's disgusting!

Why?

I agree that panties is the prettier/sexier term.  The problem for me (and my Valerie series) is that it is not used in England or Europe.

1 hour ago, BENAir01 said:

Why?

Because they're calling mens underwear panties?

3 minutes ago, OmoNinja said:

Because they're calling mens underwear panties?

I just don’t understand what’s so disgusting about that. 

41 minutes ago, BENAir01 said:

I just don’t understand what’s so disgusting about that. 

Lol it's just some toxic masculinity, ignore it.

For me, the phrase "She is wetting her panties" is much sexier than "She is wetting her knickers."

"Knickers" for me means those voluminous undergarments which my Grandmother wore, but my girlfriend wears "panties".  And YES, in case you are wondering, her panties have got very WET sometimes !!

Panties.

I have a story. I had moved into my Grandma's house, because I needed a place to stay while I was looking for an apartment. On the first night, I couldn't sleep and felt ill. I was on my way to the bathroom, when I ran into my Grandma. She was wearing her underwear on her head, over her hair. 

"Why are you wearing your panties on your head?" I asked, shocked.

In her Southern dialect, she replied, "It keeps my hair poofy."

So, apparently, panties are underwear and for the head.

I opened the very same topic a few years ago on this site as I was writing an omorashi novel and wanted to use terms that appealed to the widest audience.

Even though I much prefer the word 'knickers' as I'm British and this is the term that I grew up with I had to go with using 'panties' almost entirely throughout the novel as this seemed overwhelmingly the popular choice. 

On 07/14/18 at 6:43 AM, Bulge_Lover said:

Lol it's just some toxic masculinity, ignore it.

toxic?!

On 7/13/2018 at 6:03 AM, Stanley79 said:

I will happily embrace this usage and declare that I wear panties!

Posted (edited)

Underwear, as it's the most neutral and global version or the word, and I don't really like the sound of panties much less knickers which sounds more like a sports team.

Edited by facade

5 hours ago, facade said:

Underwear, as it's the most neutral and global version or the word, and I don't really like the sound of panties much less knickers which sounds more like a sports team. 

I can't agree more with this statement, although I have to say, as an individual with almost no interest in sports, if a sports team decided to call itself "the knickers" I'd pay to watch them play, regardless of what the sport is, just for the lulz. 

The Knickers as a sports team reminds me of this one HP/DC crossover where Ron Weasley meets Kid Flash Wally West and taps into the Speed Force. Ron ends up taking the name The Wiz as his superhero moniker without understanding why Wally thinks its humorous.

Anyways, in my mind, panties is a catch-all term for styles of underwear made from soft, often delicate fabric, with little or no leg coverage, and fairly weak elastic, if any, around the waistband and leg holes, often lacking a fly. Briefs are distinguished by being made from rougher, heavier fabric, having much strong elastic in the weistand and leg holes, and almost always having a fly.

Also, while panties are usually worn by women, it seems kind of sexist to equate panties with women's underwear, and likewise to equate boxers and briefs with men's underwear. I've been going commando a lot lately due to weight gain making most of my underwear uncomfortably tight, but I'm a man and what underwear I do own are all panties, I haven't worn a pair of briefs since my teens(I'm now 31), and as far as I'm concerned, Boxers are too bulky to be anything except outerwear. Also, the most vocal boxer wearer in my household is female.

This whole, men wear boxers or briefs, women wear panties false dichotomy is about as silly as the whole men wear trousers, women wear skirts thing.

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

I can't agree more with this statement, although I have to say, as an individual with almost no interest in sports, if a sports team decided to call itself "the knickers" I'd pay to watch them play, regardless of what the sport is, just for the lulz. 

There is the New York Knicks which is where I'm obviously getting that from. But it's still god awful.

15 hours ago, facade said:

knickers which sounds more like a sports team.

It does kind of sound like a sports team. If I heard of a sports team called the knickers, I might not bat an eye, I might not even connect the name to anything if I didn't think about it too much.

Since I didn't notice the brief discussion of non-English terms previously, I'd like to mention that I quite like the term pantsu. Its one of those words the Japanese obviously imported from English and which got butchered in the attempt to fit there language's more limited phonetic gamut, but it just sounds so darn cute.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jeffery Mewtamer said:

Since I didn't notice the brief discussion of non-English terms previously, I'd like to mention that I quite like the term pantsu. Its one of those words the Japanese obviously imported from English and which got butchered in the attempt to fit there language's more limited phonetic gamut, but it just sounds so darn cute.

It's mostly just pronounced "pants", though. Most dialects don't really say the "u".

I've noticed a lot of non-native Japanese speakers don't realise the "u" at the end of "desu" is mostly silent as well.

Edited by Male