Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Society Against Public Nudity/Exposure

Intro/Disclaimer:
This topic has been discussed a bit recently in a few other places on the forum, and it is a topic I have some strong feelings about. There seems to be a general lack of awareness about all facets of the topic, and most people seem to have a biased view of the topic from the perspective of their own sex and anatomy, or a biased view based on the attitudes of their culture. I'm going to try to get past my own biases here. I recognize that I am male and that I am not female. I know what it's like to be male and I don't know what it's like to be female. If my views of the female standpoint are flawed or incorrect, feel free to correct me. I expect that goes for the rest of you here, you must always concede that there is a side to the discussion you can't truly experience, so please be considerate of the opinions and experiences of others.

There are a lot of different viewpoints about when it's okay or not okay for men or women to undress or show their genitals in public. Different people have different views about what the legal ramifications should be for various situations. But there are a lot of people who are experiencing major social or legal trouble for having been in a situation outside of their control, and that is what I would primarily like to discuss today.

What got me thinking about this was the subject of public urination in times of desperation. A common sentiment I hear is that it is much easier for men to relieve themselves wherever they happen to be, than it is for women. I think it varies by situation, and in many cases the women would seem to have the advantage. I'm not very good at describing things, so instead I will brainstorm a list of situations in which either sex may or may not have an opportunity to pee in public and get away with it:

When men can get away with public urination:
 * Peeing in a bush, especially in a fairly secluded area. The man can use the foliage to hide his genitalia from the public view, and the chances of someone raising a stink about it are low. Still, even in these situations it is not unheard of for a man to receive legal action just for peeing by the side of the road.
 * Peeing in a container while standing. A man is equipped to perform this task with nearly any container.
 * Peeing behind an obstacle. Anyone can pull this off--if you can hide yourself from view you can pee unnoticed. Men may have an advantage in any situations in which they need or wish to direct the flow of urine.
 * Men have the advantage of not getting themselves wet, which is nice. Women's ability to stay dry while urinating varies tremendously from one person to the next.

When women can get away with public urination:
 * Peeing in tall grass or other plants. The plants can cover the woman's genitalia and prevent from being seen, and the soft dirt may absorb the urine more easily, helping keep shoes dry.
 * Peeing in a container while sitting. It takes the right kind of container, but a woman can slide forward in her seat and pee into the container in a way a man cannot.
 * Peeing behind an obstacle. Women can do this too!
 * Secretly peeing underneath a skirt, in full view of public. With ground that will absorb the urine, and steady control of the flow, a woman can perform this feat often completely unnoticed. It's not easy, but men can't really do it at all.

The general rule of thumb seems to be that men have an advantage in peeing while standing, while women have an advantage in peeing while sitting. But there is also the legal concerns. I have noticed that women seem more afraid to urinate in public than men do, yet it is men who potentially face much more severe repercussions. A woman who is alone may not feel safe exposing herself in public, but around friends she would be very safe and her choice to do so depends largely on social comfort more than anything else. A man is much more likely to feel socially comfortable, and that is an important factor. Not only are fear and shame very real feelings which can strongly affect a person's quality of life, but these fears and shames are not totally unfounded as a woman who gets known for peeing and/or exposing herself in public can be viewed unfavorably among her peers. So men have much less to fear from this social aspect. But men have to fear the legal aspect, as in many places it is considered a sex crime to reveal one's penis in public, even if it was only to urinate. There are men and even teenage boys who have to register as a sex offender for trying not to pee in their pants. There are also men and women who have done jail time for public urination either for peeing on the ground or for wetting themselves unexposed, but almost all of them are men. There is some aspect where men are more likely to be urinating in public while out partying or high on drugs, but many times it is just the legal bias in which men receive stronger sentencing than women for the same crime.

What do you guys think?

Edited by thereaverofdarkness (see edit history)

i kinda think this would fit better in the debate zone. but ill give my response, to be honest, even if you are desperate to pee, i dont think it is acceptable to wipe your dick out or pull your panties down and squat in a public place EVERRRR! i understand the mental struggle of not wanting to feel humiliation with wet pants, but for me, id rather walk home in wet pants than to expose myself in a public area which is against the law, i don't really find the law of public exposure wrong to be honest, even if someone is just peeing, because a majority of the population ( myself included) don't wanna see someone flash their genitals out in a public place. 

And don't get me wrong, i have peed outside at times, and in public many times, but something as simple as wearing a bathing suit and just peeing in the sand, or if i was out in a wooded area and was too lazy i would find a place far away from any housing or areas where a person could go, or if someone is occupying the one bathroom i have, ill go in the backyard and just let go, i at least hide myself still, even though i am outside or in public, i would never say its ok to pull your pants down and expose yourself, even if someone gave me permission to like law enforcement, i still wouldn't because that just doesn't feel right. 

For men i see advantages of public urination because for example: a guy is in a forest or park with a tall grass area or someplace to stand behind, if you are hidden well enough you can stand there and just look like you are admiring something but guys can also be more uncomfortable for the fact that men typically don't like having their dick out near other men and just wanna get it over with quickly

Women on the other hand squat making it clearly obvious what they are doing, but are sometimes more comfortable doing it since most girls go to the bathroom together and share many different bonds like periods and stuff like that so we kinda know it's gross but we have seen worse

In the end, i think if you are at the risk of an accident and cannot hold it, find someplace away from people thats very secluded where no one would see you at all and be discrete as possible, but i wouldn't be all for public urination and letting your dick out or vagina exposed to be acceptable, because no one really wants to see any of that ( unless you are into omo of course) and if it comes to that or peeing your pants, i vote for peeing your pants

32 minutes ago, Brittanybunny said:

i kinda think this would fit better in the debate zone

Excellent idea! I didn't see that forum. (Could a nice mod move this over there?)

I'm not advocating for people to whip it out and pee just anywhere, absolutely not! But there are times when a person does everything they can to be discrete and are nonetheless attacked for their bodily functions which they cannot control, merely because someone else had hurt feelings over it.

There once was a man walking around his house nude. A woman and her son chose to trespass through his property and happened by the window, catching a glimpse of the man. She sued him successfully. Now you can say he should have had his curtains shut, and that's a good rule of thumb for safety, but you can't defend the actions of this woman who faulted a man for being nude on his own property, nor can you defend the actions of the court who supported her assault on the man.

well a man being nude in his house is a lot different than in public so i don't think that's a good example for this situation,(if thats a true story it sucks and i feel bad for the guy).  i understand what you meant, im just saying to me, id accept more people just wetting their pants due to an accident compared to exposing themselves, and it isn't hurt feelings its the law and disturbing, its been the law for years that exposing yourself and public urination is illegal, its not just the fact that your dick or vagina is out in public, it also isn't sanitary and i don't blame people for that, imagine walking on a sidewalk knowing how many people passed their bodily functions on it, that's unnerving.  i mean to me if you are taking time trying to formulate a plan and take your time to hide yourself, you probably could have taken that time to find a near bathroom.....

im not saying that everyone who whips it out or pulls their panties down is automatically out to do it for pleasure or to be a perv, but its been a law for ages due to it being unsanitary to pee in a public place, and also the risk of someone seeing your genitals which can lead to 2 things. 1. someone sees and calls the cops or 2. someone sees, doesn't call the cops, but takes advantage of the situation and something horrible happens to you, so why not just wet yourself rather than face criminal charges or be at risk of sexual assault?

Edited by Brittanybunny (see edit history)

I definitely agree with the laws. I'm making a point about over-enforcement at times. Of course it would be unsanitary if people were regularly urinating or defecating in the streets.

As far as I know, there's not really any increased risk of sexual assault during public urination, in fact women have been instructed to do just that when faced with a potential sexual predator in order to ward the person off.

Everyone should make an intelligent choice before they commit to any action, and that choice should involve an understanding of the legal system in your area. But if the law is too strict or not strict enough in an area, then we should change the law.

ok off topic but after reading that i gotta ask, where the hell do you live where women have been told to pee on someone who is a sex predator, because that's a new one i have never heard of and my god i burst out laughing XD, 

as for the over enforcement, if your in your own home like the man getting sued situation you mentioned and someone gets sued for exposing even though they are in  their own home i agree thats over enforcement, but the question was with public urination, so i dont think the laws are wrong

nonono they're told to pee when being chased by a sexual predator. It's said that the most effective deterrent is peeing/pooping your pants, but less extreme things like peeing on the ground can work.

It's less the laws on the books, and more the grey areas. But in some places it's the laws on the books. An example of the grey area is when the law says that a man can be charged for sexual assault if his penis is visible to a woman or minor, and then a man gets his clothing forcefully removed and is put in prison and charged as a sex offender. Of course that's very poor judgement on part of the judge and jury, but it technically fits within the law, also the judge and jury often lack enough evidence to determine for sure what happened and so they often go with what the woman said. So you get a woman who's angry with a man and she can just make stuff up about him and get him in trouble. A woman (my landlord) filed a temporary protection order against me to default on her end of the rental agreement after she started mistreating me and I refused to pay a higher rent. I was offered zero legal protection, I was homeless for a month, prevented from taking legal action i my defense for a whole month, and I've been told legal help is available for free but when I explain that all of the free services have full waiting lists and won't accept my case, it falls on deaf ears. I couldn't afford to prosecute her then and still can't, and she's dead anyway.

Edited by thereaverofdarkness (see edit history)
2 hours ago, thereaverofdarkness said:

oh and I live in Washington state, USA

That explains a lot... wow, not with you but the whole peeing while running from a sex offender thing to scare them off which again i cant stop laughing about

based on your last reply i think its going off topic into laws are grey there and trust me I TOTALLY AGREE with that!

when it comes to grey areas of the system i do agree, to an extent, juries and laws are grey at times and the people that do get arrested at times for the stupidest things because a girl got offended by a guy or vice versa (mostly women doing this lately) and how they can say whatever and everyone believes it, many people refuse to do jury duty because you are deciding the fate of an unknown person and thats not fair.

in my state a girl recently got arrested by a male officer for being underage and around alcohol (in my state you can be 18 and be near people with it but cannot be alone or drink it) and took the breathalyzer test twice, but kept getting a smartass attitude with the cop, then began backing up and cursing at them, threw a punch at one and they jumped and took action, pinning her to the ground, and she kept trying to break free and run so the officer “hit” her (i said hit with italics because ive seen an actual hit and trust me with the way she was acting she needed a beating and i wish they would have) and she claimed they choked her (never did) and beat her and they couldnt do that because she was a women, and the whole news saw a girl get taken down by a male officer and claimed it to be sexist and she did nothing wrong... she hit a fucking officer! What did you expect?

i think now you are discussing the grey areas of a jury and justice system and believe me that definetly needs work, you are right at many cases there is little to no evidence, just someone saying “he did this,” and they get a standing ovation for it, also the fact that somehow jury thinks that by putting your hand on the bible that just suddenly means these people wont lie, i dont know if its the truth or not and i dont know this person. 

Now I understand more of what you were asking, when it comes to public urination i still think its better to wet yourself than whip it all out or pop a squat in public and face criminal charges, and i understand the example you gave and my response to a guy getting caugjt with his pants down vs a guy being forced to take his clothes off, is that there is an issue with the second one because we dont know for sure unless we were honestly standing there watching, but even then sometimes it may not help and i do think that grey area is wrong, but it seems like this is going into talking about laws in general rather than the urination one, i am very interested in this though  

Exactly!

I started this topic wanting it to be about both legal and social ramifications for anything which can involve a bias between men and women. It's supposed to be about unfair treatment and I left it kind of vague because I wasn't sure which direction it would go.

I have noticed that when most people's bladders are pushed to the limit, they will opt to urinate in public rather than wet themselves. While I don't think there should be a big deal about body exposure (I'm a naturalist), I do think it's better for everyone if you wet your clothing rather than make a puddle somewhere that people will be walking. If you can get to a patch of dirt, fine go pee, but if you do it on the sidewalk then I think you're just thrusting your own problems on others. Well I dunno, it's hard to decide what's best. It sucks either way. I guess I just don't like the strong bias people have toward one of the two solutions over the other, I'd prefer if the general sentiment was more toward the center. But it's probably because the social ramifications for wetting yourself are FAR greater in most cases than for being caught urinating in public (assuming you don't get charged by the police).