Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

5 hours ago, BENAir01 said:

Interesting story, though getting drunk before or while flying really isn’t a good idea and it surprises me how many people on this site do it.

It's my military exposure. The Marines taught me to drink, and I found it enjoyable at the right times. It sort of just became a thing I did.

I finally managed to give up on it at one point, and made a flight without drinking. I intend to make that my new habit, since I've had it backfire three times now.

5 hours ago, BENAir01 said:

Also you really tried hard with the airplane terminology but none of it was correct lol.

What terminology was I incorrect about?

9 hours ago, thereaverofdarkness said:

I had forgot how long it takes to get to cruising altitude btw, that's some foreshadowing for you.?

Well first of all, in most countries, unless there’s turbulence (which obviously there was for you), the seatbelt sign is turned off at 10,000 feet, usually only about 5 minutes into the flight. 

The plane taxied to the start of the runway, and I heard the engines begin to spool up, and I waited for that deafening roar when they spin up and you get shoved back in the seat. But the plane stayed there, engines running at the ready state

If we’re getting technical,

1) you don’t say the engines spin up. Spool up or increase thrust is better. 

2) the engines aren’t in the “ready state”. As long as the engines are on, they’re always ready. When a plane turns into the runway and starts its roll, thrust is usually increased to between 20 and 40%, depending on the plane, and once thrust is stable there, it is then increased to takeoff power, which depending on the type of plane, heat, runway length, and altitude of the airport, FLEX power can be from 70 or 80-100% power. 

roared up to full

This just sounds wrong haha

air circulation system

Again getting technical but it would most likely be the air conditioner or the pressurization

The lights on the plane illuminated the wings, and the fog-lights shone off into the distance

Planes don’t have fog lights lol. There are a few different lights you would have seen. Under 10,000 feet, the landing lights would be on. Those are the ones on the front of the wings right next to the fuselage that face forward and are very bright. Then on the end of the wings, there are navigation lights which are always on from the time of pushback, they are red in one side and green in the other. Then there are strobe lights. Those are the white lights next to the Navi lights that blink really brightly. And then there are a few other lights like position lights, anti collision lights, beacons, and wing lights that you can’t see from the cabin. 

Also one thing to note obviously you were not injured going to the bathroom with the seat key sign on but the pilots do put them on for a reason, don’t think that just because in this one Incesent this person was okay that it’s okay to ignore the fasten seatbelt sign. Only get up if you’re truly having an emergency, and even then be careful and only do it if you can feel that the turbulence is light. People have doed bubkti having their seatbelts on in turbulence before. 

Again, overall it was an excellent piece. And please don’t take any offense to these minor and in the grand scheme of things irrelevant corrections. 

17 minutes ago, BENAir01 said:

Well first of all, in most countries, unless there’s turbulence (which obviously there was for you), the seatbelt sign is turned off at 10,000 feet, usually only about 5 minutes into the flight. 

Sure but 5 minutes can be a long time. But I think the time spent climbing is longer than 5 minutes, even if they usually turn off the seatbelt sign earlier.

I didn't work in test cell or operational level, I worked in powerplants. We didn't use that terminology and we were elbow-deep in engine grease. I feel like you'd have to be an aircraft technician to feel that "spin up" is incorrect terminology. Besides, they spin but they aren't a spool, so isn't spool the one that's wrong?

2) the engines aren’t in the “ready state”. As long as the engines are on, they’re always ready.

I was just trying to find a term to describe that they weren't at high power for takeoff. Harsh.

Again getting technical but it would most likely be the air conditioner or the pressurization

The little vents that blow air constantly. The plane is equipped with an air refreshment system to ensure the cabin oxygen and carbon-dioxide levels stay where they should be. When my ears pop, everything sounds different. The roar of the engines fades into the background noise and I suddenly become more aware of the hiss of air coming out of those vents, and the little fans they have running to propel the air through.

Planes don’t have fog lights lol. There are a few different lights you would have seen.

Yeah well the lights were penetrating the fog!!

Also one thing to note obviously you were not injured going to the bathroom with the seat key sign on but the pilots do put them on for a reason, don’t think that just because in this one Incesent this person was okay that it’s okay to ignore the fasten seatbelt sign. Only get up if you’re truly having an emergency, and even then be careful and only do it if you can feel that the turbulence is light. People have doed bubkti having their seatbelts on in turbulence before.

Very true! Safety is really why I risked an accident to stay in my seat. It's really not as unsafe as some people describe it, but safety is especially important when you're stuck in a room full of people who could also be hurt by your actions, and you won't be having access to medical services for a few hours. I really wish more people would take safety more seriously.

Hmm...if they did, it might lead to more "accidents"... :nosebleed:

Again, overall it was an excellent piece. And please don’t take any offense to these minor and in the grand scheme of things irrelevant corrections. 

I don't take offense at all! Thanks for taking the time to respond! The best part of telling a story is the audience!

Edited by thereaverofdarkness (see edit history)

When us posters try to describe a situation involving technical matters outside of our areas of expertise, we're bound to make misstatements and errors.  I enjoyed the initial report and learned something from the corrections, so both you guys can wear your badges right-side-up for the rest of the day.

Especially when a departure is delayed, I've often noted a number of passengers in the bar to pass the time.  

Reaver, if you had waited for the seat belt light to go out, there might have been a rush for the toilets and you would have had to stand in line.  Not easy to do with a bladder as full as yours!

9 minutes ago, Spectator9 said:

Reaver, if you had waited for the seat belt light to go out, there might have been a rush for the toilets and you would have had to stand in line.  Not easy to do with a bladder as full as yours!

Exactly! Fun to imagine, though.

I've also always been the passive type and I'll let people push in front of me when they try to. In boot camp I once had to pee really bad. We were all supposed to be standing at attention and perfectly still, but I was squirming trying not to wet myself. I asked the drill instructor if I could use the restroom and I was denied. Finally, a while later, they sent everyone into the restroom. Everyone else barged past me and I was left standing by the wall waiting for a toilet to open up. I had just barely started when they called us out, and I only got about 25% relief. It was enough, though. It seemed kind of messed up though, that I was the one who needed the toilet most, yet I got last dibs on it.

• 4 years later...

Beautifully described! Reminds me of a flight LHR - JFK. Boarding was delayed and I partook of a Priority Pass lounge wine, cocktail, cocktail 2, wine... Usually I pace myself and stop drinking an hour before takeoff, and take a leak leaving the lounge AND before boarding near the gate AND after boarding - just to be safe.

But this time, I noticed my app hadn't updated and I thought I had a long wait. I was seated across from a really cute guy with tight jeans and kept having some wine and looking at his crotch, glancing at my app that said "DELAYED."

Then suddenly the flight was BOARDING. Long way to the gate, so I figured I'd take a leak at the gate or near. I took the elevator and wasn't sure which floor to press, so I pressed the lowest. I exited in baggage claim! Somehow the elevator, past security, had been keyed to go to baggage claim by error. I had to exit customs and go BACK through security and passport control! No time to use the toilet! I ran to the gate. Boarded just before the gate closed - really needed a leak by then. But no time to use the facilities before and on board, the flight attendant said no!

I already needed to drain the dragon so bad it hurt. Usual delay before take off fortunately not more but ohhhh myyyy. I was just about beyond belief by the time the plane took off and the seat belt sign finally went off, usual time but seemed forever. Closest to an unintentional accident in many, many years. I now check multiple apps for the flight departure time and never assume the elevators will take you where you need to go.

One fear/franticly I have is an aborted takeoff after a long delay at the gate/taxiway. Sometimes if missing catering or luggage I've had flights delayed for well over an hour just sitting at the gate. Then having an aborted takeoff on top of that would be fantastic. With a fully loaded plane the brakes could take up to two hours to cool before another takeoff attempt could be made. It's protocol to have seatbelt sign engaged on the taxiway is and imagine if there were no empty gates to return to. I bet you would have a lot of desperate passengers 🙃

On 6/17/2018 at 11:43 AM, BENAir01 said:

2) the engines aren’t in the “ready state”. As long as the engines are on, they’re always ready. When a plane turns into the runway and starts its roll, thrust is usually increased to between 20 and 40%, depending on the plane, and once thrust is stable there, it is then increased to takeoff power, which depending on the type of plane, heat, runway length, and altitude of the airport, FLEX power can be from 70 or 80-100% power. 

This just sounds wrong haha

Planes don’t have fog lights lol. There are a few different lights you would have seen. Under 10,000 feet, the landing lights would be on. Those are the ones on the front of the wings right next to the fuselage that face forward and are very bright. Then on the end of the wings, there are navigation lights which are always on from the time of pushback, they are red in one side and green in the other. Then there are strobe lights. Those are the white lights next to the Navi lights that blink really brightly. And then there are a few other lights like position lights, anti collision lights, beacons, and wing lights that you can’t see from the cabin. 

Wow!  FLEX power takeoff calculations,  supply duct or outflow valve sounds (see: Air Cycle Machine) plus aircraft lights (e.g. red right returning). Most of us are just "urine educated." 😉

15 hours ago, Kiwi_Rebecca_C said:

One fear/franticly I have is an aborted takeoff after a long delay at the gate/taxiway. Sometimes if missing catering or luggage I've had flights delayed for well over an hour just sitting at the gate. Then having an aborted takeoff on top of that would be fantastic. With a fully loaded plane the brakes could take up to two hours to cool before another takeoff attempt could be made. It's protocol to have seatbelt sign engaged on the taxiway is and imagine if there were no empty gates to return to. I bet you would have a lot of desperate passengers 🙃

All that kinetic energy into thermal energy stuff aside on a rejected takeoff, if I had to perform a V1 cut I'd want to be down in beautiful Queenstown NZ where you are, and not someplace like boring Cleveland Hopkins airport in the United States. With any luck, some tire fuse plugs would blow and I'd get to stay another night in South Island. 

2 hours ago, LngPeefan said:

All that kinetic energy into thermal energy stuff aside on a rejected takeoff, if I had to perform a V1 cut I'd want to be down in beautiful Queenstown NZ where you are, and not someplace like boring Cleveland Hopkins airport in the United States. With any luck, some tire fuse plugs would blow and I'd get to stay another night in South Island. 

An engine out on takeoff would certainly be more exciting there then in DFW