Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

The world's largest bladder - 6 liters

I found this scientific article and thought I'd share it as a curiosity. Note: there are some pictures in there that some might find disturbing. Here's the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3650792/

We present a case of giant bladder from which 6000 mL urine was drained via a urinary catheter. This is the largest volume of bladder that we found in the literature. The patient was asymptomatic except for abdominal distention, and we could not find any disorder that might be the cause of this massive bladder distention.

Basically, a 62-year-old man presented with rectal bleeding after defecation. He was diagnosed with rectal cancer. After an operation related to this, he was unable to urinate. When they drained his bladder via catheter, it contained a whopping 6 liters. If I understand the article correctly, the giant bladder was unrelated to the cancer or any other illness. The patient reported no urinary problems until after the surgery, and elected not to have any "treatment" for his massive bladder. The diagnosis was "idiopathic giant atonic bladder." Atonic means distended and unable to void, and idiopathic basically means "arises on its own, and/or unknown cause."

According to the article, this is the largest bladder ever recorded. The man had been living with this for 15 years with no urinary complaints. The only symptom he had before he got an unrelated kind of cancer was abdominal distension. He was being monitored by urologists but was only receiving treatment for cancer at the time of the article's writing.

So there you have it. The world's largest bladder, a medical curiosity.

3 minutes ago, NerqTheMighty said:

I wonder how many urologists are into omorashi.

I really doubt that many. It's all cool fantasies about ultrasounds with a full bladdered young hot women etc. but in reality I bet it's not nearly as cool, and mostly they have to deal with old sick people, nothing sexy. I think it would kill my fetish if I would be an urologist.

1 hour ago, DimitriT said:

I really doubt that many. It's all cool fantasies about ultrasounds with a full bladdered young hot women etc. but in reality I bet it's not nearly as cool, and mostly they have to deal with old sick people, nothing sexy. I think it would kill my fetish if I would be an urologist.

I've often thought that a lot of urologist were into omorashi, but i think you're probably right. The job doesn't seem nearly as glamorous in reality.

It probably isn't. And as an omorashi fan, if I was a doctor I'd make it a point not to go into urology. I wouldn't want to have to constantly question my professional ethics. Not to mention, as said above, it's probably mostly gross and/or boring. But if I did have a young female patient or something I'd feel like a dirty perv, so I think I'd avoid that at all costs if I were in the medical profession. Out of principle.

I didn't share this because I found it sexy in the least--merely interesting, in an intellectual sort of way.

i would had thought he would have felt a lot of pain. or had other conditions that kept it from tensing up much when really full. wonder if he was a truck driver? there is a condition known as truck drivers bladder as they hold it so long so often. usally happens to middle age and older as it does not contract all they way when they finally do go to pee. so it keeps stretching bigger and bigger. 

17 hours ago, JMatthews1995 said:

I wonder who has the largest normal bladder in the world. Like a properly working, able to hold and relieve totally normally bladder? ? 

Like I mentioned in the original post, this guy had a normal bladder of that size (probably not as full, but having that maximum capacity) for at least 15 years. It was only a complication from cancer surgery that caused urinary problems.

It is, however, astonishingly rare for somebody to have a healthy, functioning bladder of this size. Human organs simply don't function well, or start adversely affecting other organs if they are vastly out of proportion.

I actually have an update. I've found a more recent, even larger case report: Man with 10.5 liter bladder. It should be noted that this was not a normally functioning bladder. He was unable to relieve himself due to diabetes and damage to the nerves that control the bladder. He'll probably have to use a catheter for the rest of his life.

So, I think the guy in the original post might still have the record for largest recorded, healthy bladder.

Edited by satyr (see edit history)