Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What's the worst injury you've ever had?

I almost sawed off my left pointer finger. I was a kid, probably 7 or 8 years old.

I've always been into model making, even as a kid. And gluing and painting wasn't enough, my plans had always been unreasonably grand and I was frequently frustrated when I couldn't follow them. The poor man's Adam Savage. Without a workshop, And actual knowledge and/or experience.
Of course my parents did not allow me around dangerous stuff, that didn't mean that I never actually managed to sneakily use them once in a while.
That day I was fixated with sawing a plastic toy boat in half, because I needed that shape for another model I wanted to build, can't remember what was. I can only remember the green cartoony hull. Anyway, since saws were out of question, I managed to steal a huge serrated edge knife from the kitchen, one of those knife you'd use to cut bread, and started sawing my toy boat. Really stupid thing, kids. Don't do it. I'd say that even actual saws are safer than this.

Not long after I started, the knife got stuck for a bit, I forced it, being a clumsy kid I held the boat with my fingers in the way of the blade, so when the blade came unstuck, it went right through my finger. I could see solid white-ish stuff under the cut skin, at that time I thought it was the bone. Actually it was probably the tendon. I distinctly remember I wasn't even shocked or panicking, all I could think of was that my parents were going to be angry.

Anyway it wasn't actually a big deal, they patched me up well at the hospital. My finger is still where it should be and it works properly, I only have a scar and a silly story to tell once in a while.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, repertoire said:

Apart from a variety of injuries that I suffered during my boxing days and the one time I was bottled whilst working on the doors, for me it was definitely breaking my collarbone. 

Believe me, it didn’t tickle. 

man, i remember doing mma when i was healthy and i suffered several minor injuries from it from fractures to concussions. but, once im healthy again u best bet im going to do it again

• 2 weeks later...

Worst thing I ever had was at school when I was but a wee boy of maybe 10 or so.

It had been snowing, and the playground was mostly ice. There was this one dirt patch, where there was thick ice over the whole thing.

So us kids being the sweet and innocent little creatures hell bent on destruction had grouped around and were trying to break this ice. Some kids were kicking, some where jumping, some hitting it with sticks, you name it.

I was jumping. I jumped up and landed on the ice.
A kid in front of me was kicking the ice.

I'd jump from a sort of squatting position, and land in the same way.
This kid lifted his foot up and jammed his heel in the ice.

As I came in to land from a jump, this kid kicked upward and hit me square in my left eye.

I was taken in to the school first aid room, screaming and shouting, before being taken to hospital.
Turned out the kick had tore the membrane of my eye.

Spent about a week off school with an eye patch. Couldn't open my eyes either, even moving my eyes hurt.
It wasn't even a cool eye patch, like a black pirate one. It was some great white lump of cotton, taped to my face.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend it.

When I was about 7 or so, I tried to open a really big glass cabinet door, whereupon it snapped off of its hinges and cracked my skull open. One panicked rush to the hospital later, and I have a ton of stitches in my head.

I actually barely remember much of it. I can remember opening the door, seeing it snap, and then it's just kinda blank for the next while. Still have the scar, but it's hidden in my hair, now.

I've had no seriously bad injuries ever. 

First of my worst injuries was when my dad was driving me to kindergarten with a bike and I was sitting back and managed to swing my leg in between the tire. I still have a scar in my ankle from that. 

The other was when one boy in our class was having a rock fight with a girl in our class. I walked past them and the rock the boy threw flew to my eye.  It hurt and for a moment I couldn't see anything. I got an eye patch until the eye healed. 

One was when we were playing on the slightly downhill beach. I got an idea to run down and jump into the water. However, I managed to jump weirdly and my instep folded under me. I couldn't walk with that leg or hold any weight to it. I got canes.

Then there was this one time when I was celebrating halloween at my aunt's place. They was having an renovation in their toilet so there was floor teared down. For some reason I passed out while using the toilet and ended up having half of my face and my lips scratched open. Not badly but anyway.

I have had some troubles with cutting myself. My cuts have never been anything serious but one time years ago I got angry while drunk and took a knife of my uncle and did one cut to my wrist. The knife was sharper than I had used to, so I ended up pressing too much and making a deep cut that glucked a lot of blood and didn't seem to dry up. That had never happened before so I panicked. I went to hospital and they stitched it.