Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What's the worst injury you've ever had?

I was a runner, a serious one: a very detailed running schedule, each day increasing speed and lenght of the run. Finally I ran an half-marathon, aka 21.5 km. A very long tiring experience...

A month later I broke my ankle walking down the stairs with my girlfriend because I tried to make her laugh by impersonating Berlusconi.

Yes, I'm stupid.

I'll throw in a 18+ here. Read at your own discretion.

When I was fourteen I was a goalkeeper for my schools football team. I had an ungodly habit of coming off my life to clear the ball a lot to the point I was practically a defender. During one game, I came out for a loose ball with the other teams striker chasing it too. I slid to clear it, and in an ungodly effort to score, he did too. I got there first and got the ball away, but his foot, slightly raised, collided with my kneecap and knocked it out of place. I dislocated my knee and to this day I still remember how much it fucking hurt having my knee cap around the side of my leg.

Didn't play after that. Haven't played since.

Edited by Clom (see edit history)

I've been very fortunate in this regard. The worst thing to ever happen to me is when i pulled a muscle in my arm playing basketball. Well, that was just the doctor's theory, they didn't actually find anything wrong with the arm. I reached for the ball during the game and someone pulled on my arm and next thing i knew it hurt like hell.

Idk really, i surprisenly have never broken a bone yet have done plenty of things that should have resulted, such as dropping a cinder block on my foot by accident at the age of 7-8, plenty of fingers slammed in car doors, stuff like that.

i think the worse injury is the time as a kid because i hated wearing shoes, i would ride a scooter and let my foot hang off and graze the sidewalk, to the point where i would break every toenail completely 

Here is a funny one though that isnt mine, but my older step sisters and its funny! (Well the reason behind it is) so everyone knows loony tunes? Well you remember how bugs bunny would jump and land on his finger at times? Well my sister as a kid thought she could do that, jumped off the monkey bars and broke her wrist

When it comes to injuries my experience is more a matter of quantity over quality, and by quality I mean severity. Probably the worst injury I've sustained was just a burn on my hand when I was a child. The people who saw it happen said my skin was charred black, but it didn't result in any nerve or motor dysfunction so it couldn't have been third degree.

Then again I've been shocked, stabbed, and hit in the head many, many times over the course of my life, so maybe it all cancels out in the end.

This goes back to like 2012-3, but still affects me.

Carrying a very heavy bag onto a train, I slip into my allocated seat and twist my upper torso to throw my bag onto the chair. I can still hear the crunching noise my kneecap made as I felt it knock out of place. It was a 2 hour train ride. I was in agony, I couldn't stand, my leg buckled from benath me and it crunched a second time.

Thankfully I was meeting my partner at the other end, and we went straight to the hospital. They thought I'd just torn the ligaments in my kneecap, so I was on crutches and in a knee brace for like 2 months. Gradually worked back onto being able to walk comfortably again. I couldn't run on it, as it felt like it was just going to buckle again.

Fast forward, I've knocked it out of place three more times since, just walking and it randomly crunching and giving way. I found out two years ago that I've actually damaged the cartiledge in my knee, so it probably wont ever be back to 100% without them operating on it (and they advised against it as keyhole surgery might make it worse).

I can hurriedly jog on it, but I'll never be able to properly run. I can't put all my weight on it for long periods of time. Been cycling a lot which seems to have built a lot of strength back into it, but I'm so fucking disappointed at how fucked it is and how it affects me. I can't keep it bent for too long else it will lock up and have to awkwardly 'click' to go back.

When I was a kid (ten or eleven) I was riding my bike down a somewhat steep hill and took a turn to fast and ended up dumping my bike. I went skidding about five or six feet across the asphalt while my bike went over ten. I ended up with a black eye from my handle bars popping up on me and a decent-sized scrape on the left side of my face, my left elbow and left knee. I also ended up bending the wheel rim of my front tire and possibly the bike frame itself.

Only bad injury I had was spraining my knee while playing basketball with my friends at school. Jumped up to catch a rebound when I heard a pop and feeling pain. Had to go to the emergency room and get x-rays done. Also needed to walk with crutches and get some physical therapy. But thankfully I have never broken any bones. At least not yet anyways. 

I though of another one, when i was a young teen and i got my ears pierced, i did a good job at cleaning them, then after a year i stopped once they weren't swollen anymore and they were doing fine. I was wearing studded earrings and i noticed my ear hurting one day and i couldn't get the stud out. My ear was very swollen, swollen to the point that it swelled around the earring and my mom had to get pliers to grab the back of the earring and rip it off, causing a lot of blood and goo to spit out. I have never worn stud earrings ever again,  

• 2 weeks later...

When I was six, I was dared to jump off a table for 5 bucks, and when u was straying myself, my right foot came out from under me, and u bent my left wrist all the way back to where it touched my arm, but only fractured it.  I now never want to skate again, even if it is life or death. (From this accident, I have a lump from where the bone shifted, but never went back into place)

Edited by Traindude
Miss spelled a word, and didn't want to look like a Dumas. I.E. this was thus (see edit history)

The most painful injury I had was when I rammed my foot against the banister while descending the stairwell uncarefully. Foot injuries can really hurt, especially toes, but I think that's silly because toes aren't particularly important to body functionality. So I consider that injury minor, just painful.

The most major injury I had actually hurt very little. I was drinking with two other guys, and one of them got fussy about insults, leading to the other egging me on to continue making up random insults about him, and me doing so. He got mad and slugged me in the eye. I bled a lot from my nose and the scene must have looked horrifying at first. Later on my eye swelled up and completely shut, gaining a dark puffy area around it. They called it my "shiner", I'd never heard that term before then. I got checked out for skull fracture and the doc said I seemed fine. The injury healed gradually over the coming weeks, changing colors and doing beautiful things to my face. My fond memories of the time help to cover over the lingering pain I had to endure during the healing process. The lingering pain was far less severe than much of what I have experienced in life, but there's something rather off-putting about pain that won't go away.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a kid I fell off our porch and sprained my elbow.

As an adult I broke my arm while hiking, trying to get a better photo I slipped on a rock and fell into a ravine.

I have also been stabbed, but it turned out to be nothing serious.  I was working in TV news, just finished covering a feel good story on local arts and was about to head back to the station.  Some guy on the street had some very strong feelings about the mainstream media and decided to come up behind my quality and literally stab me in my lower back with a small pocket knife.

Also, while working in TV, I had my leg impaled.  I was hauling a heavy cable real and some other gear while in a bit of a hurry.  Unknown to me, the really had started to unspool.  I discovered this when I stepped and tripped on the unspooling cable, causing me to fall.  A support leg for the cable reel, which was a metal pipe, was pushed through my right leg.  It entered near the front of my knee, went through at an angle, and exited near the back of my knee.  Though gruesome looking, it ultimately ended up only needing a few stitches after which I was able to go back to work and finish up my shift.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had 4 really bad ones:

1. Slid on some ice, something jammed into my leg, opening it up wide. Needed multiple stitches

2. Broke my nose. Its still slightly sideways

3. Fell off a raft at high speed. Partially tore multiple tendons and ligaments.

4. Stepped wrong turning and severely sprained, possibly fractured my ankle. Still gives me pain almost 4 years later.

Most painful in the moment was probably when I was little and I flew over the handlebars of my bicycle and had to get stitches in my chin. 

The most damaging effects on my body for a long time goes to a different injury. When I was around 13 me and my dad were setting up our campsite at 3 a.m. and I cut myself on a knife I didn't realize was open and had to go to the er to get stitches in my fingers. After that my fingers were completely numb until I got my stitches out and the nerves that got severed haven't grown back fully. I have sensation in the two fingers that got cut but I can't sense temperature at all. So I'll probably have that issue for the rest of my.life but?