Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3 (and I'm paying what I promised if option 5 won)

nah, you can choose the vote at random that's fine! i'm just pissed that it became the deciding vote is all...

Thank you for the comment! I am glad you are enjoying the story so far. *** Chapter 6 Aren’t You Glad You Have a Lawyer? 1 The fearful expression on your face causes O

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Dealer said:

This sketch is worse than the other, I hope you understand I'm still a novice. But the author of this interactive, @Anubis, was more than glad to recieve this little piece of fan-art, so it's ok, I guess...

flowingcreek3.png.2175adafd276824e138c907b245d98fd.png

You're definitely getting better though. Thanks for posting. Hopefully other people like this one as much as I do.

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for, the final part of chapter 1 is here! @NerqTheMighty, I slipped a reference in here that might be of interest to you, since it was a major part of the interactive story you shared with us previously. Also, thank you @Dealer for your artwork contributions. It has made this story more interesting to have them. This part took me a while, but it's finally ready. I hope you all enjoy it.

The most pressing thing on your mind is your friend’s safety, so you ask again, “Where is Sydney? Can you please take me to her?”

Officer Miller takes off her shades, revealing a pair of lovely, hazel eyes. She frowns briefly and then smiles again. “Okay, I’ll take you there now.”

For the first time since this ordeal began, you feel a little relieved. Knowing that Sydney is safe will make everything easier to deal with, but having her by your side will help even more.

Officer Miller motions for you to follow. “Her room is on the other side of the building. If you like, I can answer any other questions you have, along the way.”

You let out a sigh. “Okay, um, why did the mayor bring us here?”

The two of you begin walking across the grass, towards one of the pathways to the right of your previous guest quarters.

“Well, Penelope brought you here because she wanted you here,” Officer Miller replies. “I know that doesn’t sound like much of an answer, but you happened to be at the wrong place, at the wrong time, so she took advantage of it. She likes bringing new people here so she can have more citizens to have control over.”

The mayor’s name is Penelope? You wonder. Why would Officer Miller refer to her by her first name like that? This is just too weird.

“Wrong place?” you ask. “Do you mean where Sydney and I were traveling before we ended up here?”

The two of you move into a shaded area, beneath the canopy of a large oak tree. Its branches span out a great distance, shielding a large section of the property from the sun. Birds chirp happily above you, seemingly without a care in the world, as you continue your conversation with Officer Miller.

“Yes, that is exactly what I mean,” Officer Miller replies. “When I ended up here six years ago, I was on a vacation, traveling through Manitoba. I don’t know what you remember about how you got here, but I got caught in a downpour and I saw what I thought was lightning.”

You stop in your tracks, suddenly remembering what you were thinking about, just before you picked up the clipboard for the first time. I remember traveling through a rainstorm! There was a flash of lightning!

Officer Miller glances at you, noticing that you’ve stopped walking, and her smile fades. “I hope I haven’t freaked you out too much. I really do want to help you ease into this.”

“No, you didn’t. Um, speaking of being at the wrong place, where is Flowing Creek?” you ask.

Officer Miller frowns and shrugs her shoulders. “I really don’t know.”

You take a moment to think, wondering how she could know as much about the town as she does, without knowing where it is. This is insane!

You try to think of a way to figure out where you are. You remember that your smart phone was in your jeep, charging, but you do not know where the vehicle is. If you could get to it, then maybe you could take a look at Google Maps.

“Isn’t there a way to find out?” you ask. “Can we use GPS or something?”

Officer Miller shakes her head, winces, and briefly presses her legs together. “No one can… There are no smart phones or personal computers here. People have landlines to communicate, but no one can call anyone outside of town. All of the computers that do exist here, are used for monitoring civilians.”

What kind of a place is this? You wonder. When I know Sydney is safe, we have to get out of here!

“Once you’re here, it’s like you’re stuck in Peaksville, Ohio,” Officer Miller says. “People have tried to leave before. They’ve gone out into the woods to escape, only to wake up in the motel again.”

Upon hearing those words come out of her mouth, any sense of hope or relief you previously had, goes out the window. So no one can leave?! How is this possible?!

Your heart really starts pounding and you are forced to use your breathing technique again. Nothing makes sense anymore. You cannot help but wonder if this is a nightmare that you might wake up from at any moment.

Officer Miller bites her lip and turns towards the direction you were previously heading. “We should keep going. Sydney is probably worried about you also.”

Still trying to calm yourself, you nod in agreement and continue to follow. You still cannot allow yourself to panic. Once you and Sydney have been reunited, then you can sort things out.

After you pass through the shade beneath the oak tree, back into the sunlight, you reach the corner of the building. Officer Miller leads you around to the side, where the atmosphere matches the front of the property. A walkway in the distance comes from the road and wraps around the building, as far as you are able to see. The paths leading from the motel rooms on the side, intersect it in the distance.

You don’t say anything more at this point, feeling satisfied that she answered your most pressing questions, to the best of her ability. The lack of a proper answer to the last question you asked, still bothers you though. Before today, you’d never even heard of a town called Flowing Creek. While there was always the possibility that such a place existed, you feel certain that there were no towns where you and Sydney had been traveling.

Officer Miller is quiet as well. She leads you past a couple more rooms and around a large spruce tree, before glancing down at your file and breaking the silence between you. “So, is it okay if I ask some things about you?”

You are so wrapped up in your own thoughts regarding the location of the town, that her question catches you by surprise. “Huh?”

“You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to,” Officer Miller says. “I would just like to get to know you a little better, since we’re both here now.”

You do not like the way that statement is worded. ‘Since we’re both here now’? She makes it sound like we’re going to be stuck here forever!

“Sure, if you want to,” you reply.

You hear Officer Miller make a soft grunt before she continues her train of thought. “So… did you collect model trains?”

With your mind still focused on everything that she has just told you, it’s difficult to shift gears. I have some, yes, but why does that matter? We don’t even know where we are and we should be discussing getting out of here!

“I have a few,” you reply. “I’d like to get them set up on some tracks, but I live in an apartment and they are too noisy for the neighbors.”

“Interesting,” Officer Miller says. “What video games did you like before coming here?”

The way she keeps acting like you’re going to be here for the rest of your lives, is just creepy. Why does she keep referring to my hobbies in the past tense? I’m not going to stay here!

“Well, I like to play Factorio, but if you’ve been here for six years, then you might not be familiar with it,” you reply. You do not like the thought of never seeing your home or your personal things again.

Officer Miller raises an eyebrow at you as you both walk through another shaded area, beneath the leaves of a large maple tree. “Sounds interesting. Maybe you can tell me about it later, since we’re almost there.”

Only a few meters ahead of you, is another corner of the building. Officer Miller points it out to you, even though you have already noticed it. “Sydney’s room is just around the corner.”

Good! You think, more eager than ever to see Sydney. Once I get to her, we can get away from this cop and then we can leave! There is no way that we can let ourselves get stuck here forever!

You and Officer Miller step around to the backside of the building and she takes you to the very first room that you see. “This is it, Zanthia. Sydney is in here.”

You both step up to the door and she looks at you with a smile. “Would you like to do the honors? She might feel better if you go in, instead of me. I think I freaked you out earlier, so, it would be best not to do it to her too.”

You realize that she is probably right about this. What do you want to do?

1)    Knock on the door yourself and call out to Sydney.

2)    Open the door and step in without knocking or saying anything.

3)    Do nothing, because it could be a trap.

6 hours ago, OmoNinja said:

Trapped in a town with no video games? That's frightening!

let's knock on the door to see if she's home!

Yes, that would scare me too.

1 hour ago, WaityKaty said:

For sure 1. Why would we worry about a trap? We are already pretty dang trapped. For now...

You make a good point. It's mostly something Zanthia might be paranoid about, since she's had a lot dropped on her shoulders all at once. It would be normal to expect traps around every corner.

Excellent input everyone. It looks like option 1 is the most popular choice so far, but this was probably an easy one lol.

Edited by Anubis (see edit history)
Guest RedFish3000

1)    Knock on the door yourself and call out to Sydney.

I don't think this is a trap. However, we should knock the door and call first. We don't want to scare Sydney by bursting into the room without any warning.

3 minutes ago, Dealer said:

flowingcreekmotel.png.63a5145752ff32f68aaec6bd0cc6e05d.png

Another awesome pic! I like the reflection of the sign in the puddle. I'll have to find a way to work this particular image into the story when I get around to it. Since it looks like Zanthia and Miller just went past it without paying attention, it would be cool if they were to notice it later.