Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

300kb download speeds!?

Don't know what is up with the download speeds, but i don't think it should be less the 300kb/s. Before i became a contributory member years ago, i had purchased the lifetime premium membership and with the memberships now, i should at least be getting 25mb/s if not 100mb/s since i have the lifetime, unless my old premium membership is not being honored anymore, but even then i'll settle for 25mb. I know it is not my internet i have 100mb down and 10 up through Charter and a $100 router. Can someone help me with this?

I am not experiencing the issue you described.  At least not right now when I tried downloading something.  This would indicate that the issue is not likely related to this site or the server it was on.  Or, if it is related, it was only temporary and the issue is now resolved.  There are any number of connections, or hops, that your computer must make to connect to the server that hosts this site, any one of which could slow your downloads.

If you are on windows you could try going to the command prompt and running "tracert omorashi.org" and seeing what you get.  Anything that takes an especially long time, or times out, could indicate a problem.

The other issue could still be your ISP.  Several years ago I used to use charger myself, and though for the most part I was pretty happy, there were some issues.  For one, the signal-to-noise ratio on the cable line coming into my house was not good at all.  This meant I could easily suffer lost data packets and my speeds were slowed, especially when the line noise went up.  I was partially able to deal with this problem by replacing the coax and connectors they put into the house with something with a bit better shielding, but ultimately I had to make several phone calls to get the right kind of tech to come out, test the line, and make changes.

Another other issue I had with Charter was their DNS servers, which were incredibly slow.  Sometimes they would even time out in the middle of a request.  This was rectified by changing over to Google's public DNS, which was much faster and more reliable.  This one change was like upgrading my entire internet.

Despite this, I was having issues with downloads that would start fast, but then get slower and slower before timing out.  Turns out the MTU settings on their modem, the modem I leased from Charter, were not correct and needed to be manually changed.

Once these three things were addressed- signal-to-noise ratio, DNS, and MTU, Charter worked great for me and I never had any other problems.  But, until then, my internet experience fell slightly short of fantastic.

They recently replaced all the lines at my apartments for spectrum ultra, i also use a vpn so charter can't cap my shit lol, i use expressvpn and is the fastest vpn i've ever used. So currently my speed has improved a little bit, i am able to download at 1mb/s with vpn on and off, but that's still not that great. Charter is the only internet service available where i live besides AT&T and yeah not going there.

9 hours ago, k o t o u r u said:

They recently replaced all the lines at my apartments for spectrum ultra, i also use a vpn so charter can't cap my shit lol, i use expressvpn and is the fastest vpn i've ever used. So currently my speed has improved a little bit, i am able to download at 1mb/s with vpn on and off, but that's still not that great. Charter is the only internet service available where i live besides AT&T and yeah not going there.

Even though the lines are newer, there still could be a signal-to-noise ratio issue with the carrier coming into your apartment.  All it takes is one tiny bit that is unshielded and you're going to have packet loss.  Speaking of packet loss do to carrier signal issues, I assumed you were connecting via hardwire, not just wifi?  The issue could still be with the MTU settings on your modem, or a DNS issue.  Using a VPN is great, but it won't fix a SNR or MTU issue.  DNS issues can also still exist when using a VPN.

You should be able to access your modem's internal diagnostic tools via a browser and see what the SNR is.  A google search for your modem's model number should lead to instructions on how to do this, if you don't already know.  From your modem's admin interface you should also be able to see, and adjust, the MTU settings.  Call charter and find out what these settings should be for your modem.

If the issue is only existing on this site, then I would lean towards it being a DNS issue, unless other users here are experiencing the same problem.  Your VPN might be running their own DNS servers, and even though the VPN is fast, their DNS might not be the greatest.  Are you willing to disable your VPN client and see how things compare when you are not connected via VPN?  Finally, are you completely sure that your VPN client is configured correctly, and all your traffic is being funneled through it? Using a site like doileak.com could help reveal issues with VPN configuration.