Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

New Always Discreet colour & the adult pullup Renaissance

Noticed that there's a new colour of Always Discreet Boutique available: purple. I wasn't too enthusiastic about the beige ones, but I really like this design. I feel like Always Discreet underwear is the closest thing to kid pull-ups for adults, and this variety is no exception. I feel like the print emphasizes the absorbent area more than anything. Haven't seen them on store shelves yet, but I'll probably pick some up for funsies.

That said, just how many types of adult pullups will the market bear? I feel like over the past ~5 years there's been some sort of cambrian explosion of incontinence underwear, particularly women's incontinence underwear. Before Depend introduced Silhouette, I think they only had three types of pullups for women: unisex ones, Depend for women, and the adjustable underwear with velcro tabs (if those even count), each in only one absorbency and 2 sizes. Now they have two absorbencies of Fit-Flex in four sizes, and silhouette/active fit, plus nighttime underwear and the aforementioned adjustable underwear - all in two sizes each. Always Discreet wasn't even a thing five years ago, and now they have four varieties of underwear,  each in 2-3 sizes. Plus whatever Tena is doing these days (they clearly need to up their marketing game). 16 types of Depends, 10 types of Always Discreet, and call it 4-6 types of Tena. And that's not even counting the different sizes of packs.

Like, are they going to run out of space in the incontinence aisle soon? And who's buying all these adult pullups? If there's increased demand, it must be because of changing demographics increasing the number of old people, right? Are grannies really going out of their way and spending more to get purple adult diapers with a lace print? You wouldn't think they were targeting grannies from their marketing materials. Or maybe materials are just getting better and smaller products can now handle heavier incontinence, meaning that all these new pullups are replacing tape-on diapers. What do you think?

Pure white has definitely gone out of style. I think Tena still still has a plain white pullup for women and that's it outside of store brands.

Interestingly enough, the same thing doesn't seem to be happening to male incontinence products. Depend does a few plain colours, and Tena has one with stripes. But there's no men's pullups with a fake Y-front printed on, for example. It must be a gender thing, cause I feel like if I was incontinent and not into diapers, I'd want to wear something plain. It's like a print would only remind me that these aren't normal underwear. There was a bit in one of the Series of Unfortunate Events books which has stuck with me since I was a kid: they had to live in a building with no windows, so someone drew a picture of a window on the wall, but that just made morale worse because it constantly reminded everyone that there were no real windows.

I wonder if it is just companies offering options to a growing aging population.

Not that I mind, It's a boon to have so many options! I've given Depend Fitflex (rubbish), Depend Silhouette (meh), Always Discreet (very nice daytime pants), CardinalHealth Pull-Up Supreme (meh, sweaty as Hell), Walgreens Certainty Maximum Adult Briefs (cheap and decent), and Abena Abri-Flex Premium (my favourite diaper, so soft and absorbent).

I don't mind patterns on the diaper to camouflage them, but if the band were to be seen, it doesn't matter how many pretty little bows are on them. The thinner ones are nice, but I still wear panties on top to muffle the sound. If it walks like a duck...

On 5/9/2018 at 5:27 PM, rachelkirwan said:

When I was growing up, all I had were the pure white Goodnites, now I do miss them, but I love the new women's pullups. I mean why did it take them so long to do different colours for adults? Who wants sterile pure white? Like I'm going to wear that under a dark dress ? I love it! Thought I'm still a Goodnites Girl.

I'd like to see proper taped nappies in these feminine designs, I think more women would be open to wearing them... ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 12:27 PM, rachelkirwan said:

When I was growing up, all I had were the pure white Goodnites, now I do miss them, but I love the new women's pullups. I mean why did it take them so long to do different colours for adults? Who wants sterile pure white? Like I'm going to wear that under a dark dress ? I love it! Thought I'm still a Goodnites Girl.

I don't know where you live, but I just picked up some "Parent's Choice Nighttime Underwear" from WAL*MART in Canada. They're plain white goodnites, basically. The L/XL size fits me "okay", obviously it's a little bit tight but not uncomfortable as long as I adjust my bits downwards. The elastic is firmer than GNs, and the absorbency is about a third less. Was $12 CDN for a package of 12. Not as nice as GNs, but being a GN person I totally think they're worth a try for a buck each.

6000197172727.jpg?odnBound=460

Edited by Tangerine (see edit history)
On 5/23/2018 at 4:18 PM, M23 said:

Do you think they fit smaller than the goodnites?

I tried the presidents choice (superstore Canada brand) nighttime underwear and they were too tight to be comfortable.....which was sad cause they were pretty cute patterns....

They fit about the same for me. They're okay if you want plain white and you're not expecting crazy absorbency.

10 hours ago, Tangerine said:

They fit about the same for me. They're okay if you want plain white and you're not expecting crazy absorbency.

I've tried them too and I'd say for me they fit a bit better. I definitely enjoyed the all white aspect of them, how they fit and even how much they held(still not a lot but it seems to hold more than goodnites IMO), but the tear-away sides were a bit stiff. I would often get poked by the sides. It's been a while since I've seen them in stock around here, but if I see them again I will certainly buy some. The last time I got them at like $5 for a pack and I picked up two, it was a really good deal.